Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The 500 Hertz points are worth so much more than just to burn for a hit.

Living in NYC, i value Hertz points a lot, as 500 points gets me a weekend rental from my HLE which typically charges $100 / day. Without a car and limited other options, it's something that i would begrudgingly pay. Great redemption value.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:31 am

participating locations?

Is there anyway to check that if a specific rental car location is a participating location?
I ask because last year I rented twice at Budget at a non-airport location and none of them posted any miles and was told "not participating locations"
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by earthsci
Is there anyway to check that if a specific rental car location is a participating location?
I ask because last year I rented twice at Budget at a non-airport location and none of them posted any miles and was told "not participating locations"
You should confirm with the customer service rep at the rental desk where you pick up the car that you're getting US Air miles with the rental.
I saw a post somewhere saying the non-airport locations for Avis and Budget don't give mileage awards. When I've tried to make reservations with Avis for airline miles, I consistently get a red warning message that the non-airport locations don't accept the code for an airline. I was able to get the double miles coupon for a Budget reservation when I picked up the car at the airport and turned it in at a non-airport location, but it was expensive so I cancelled that reservation. One thing that was interesting about Budget is that you have to cancel your reservation a day or two before you're scheduled to pick up the car or they have the right to charge you a high cancellation fee. Hertz and Avis don't have any cancellation fees so that really got my attention.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Originally Posted by alanh
As long as you've registered for GS11, you don't need to reserve through the US Airways site. Just make sure with the agent that they have your Dividend Miles number on the reservation when you pick up the car.
Thank you, alanh, for this info. Will go with it.
Hakluyt
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I have done two Hertz hourly rentals already. Here is some more info:

- Hertz hourly rentals can be returned to ANY location in Manhattan, not just the one you used for pick-up. Therefore I pick up my car at the garage across the street from my apartment (downtown) and drive to a Hertz garage 6 blocks from my office (midtown). This saves me the $2.25 subway fare in the morning.

- Gas is included in the rate.

- The $12 ($15.29 total with taxes) cost per rental is only valid Mon - Thurs. The Fri - Sun rate is $3 more.

- Rate codes HOURLY and HRLYD are the same. HRLYD is only valid Mon - Thurs for $12 whereas HOURLY is available any day (but will be $15 on Fri - Sun).
I just did a one hour rental in Boston. total came to $29 with taxes and fees. Rental is only $15, but other fees are higher here.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by virtuo0
I just did a one hour rental in Boston. total came to $29 with taxes and fees. Rental is only $15, but other fees are higher here.
Do you know if you can use any discounts for these hourly rentals to bring the cost down? I am also in the Boston area and was thinking of doing a rental or two, but $29 is pretty expensive given that it will take me 45 minutes each way just to get downtown.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by nangress
Do you know if you can use any discounts for these hourly rentals to bring the cost down? I am also in the Boston area and was thinking of doing a rental or two, but $29 is pretty expensive given that it will take me 45 minutes each way just to get downtown.
I tried all discount coupons online. Most of them don't work for hourly rate. I called CS and rate is $15 per hour for weekend. But the TKT&Cnv surcharge is $10.60 plus taxes it goes to $28.43.

Parking the car and taking T total comes to $38 which is not cheap.

I wrote to hertz about paying the TKT&Cnv surcharge for an hourly rental and selected yes to "contact me" option. Will see if they will do something about it.

Update: I don't think we can do anything about the surcharges. Its required by law.

B. "Vehicular Rental Transaction Contract"

The $10 CCF surcharge is imposed upon each vehicular rental transaction contract in Boston. The term "vehicular rental transaction contract" includes any written agreement setting forth the terms and conditions governing the use of a vehicle provided by a rental company for thirty continuous days or less, except as provided in Subsection III. D of this TIR. See generally G.L. c. 90, § 32E ½. A written agreement may be executed upon tangible media or electronically, such as through the Internet.

Vendors must collect the $10 CCF surcharge on each vehicle rental contract in Boston. A vehicle rental contract is “in Boston” (1) when the vehicle is received by the customer at a business location of the rental company in Boston or (2) when the vehicle is not received by the customer at a business location of the rental company, if the vehicle is received by the customer in Boston. Types of vehicles subject to the surcharge include, but are not limited to the following:

Passenger car
Truck
Van
Trailer (but the surcharge is not imposed on rental of a trailer hitch).

Last edited by virtuo0; Sep 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
I found a Thrifty rental for $20.16 (per day all in) in TUS from 10/30 - 10/31. It's interesting because when I start and end the rental at 11am I get this rate. If I choose another time like 1PM I get a much higher rate. It might be that weekend rates end at noon or something like that. Also there is a 3 times miles special if you rent a compact for 2 days or longer and you use promo code US10. It's going to be my rental run weekend as I am returning a Thrifty car on the 29th and then picking up a Dollar car returning it on the 30th and finally picking up a Thrifty car on the 30th and returning it on the 31st.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: US DM Chairman; Marriott Gold
Just did a counter rental at a downtown Dollar in Portland. Guy was a little incredulous, but happy to do it. Basically, pay, wait while he takes care of next customer, then process it back in. I did make sure the $0.95 FF charge showed up to confirm the miles. Was about $22 all in. Will update once it posts properly.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Alexandria South Picket Street

My wife and I did a rental each this morning. The counter rep laughed when I explained what was going on but he played the game. We were in and out within 10 minutes. We didn't have to drive the cars at all. The rentals weren't as cheap as DCA but much easier. The rental all in was $24.06. I'm hoping to get it lower as I'm going to do this for 5 GS players.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by cmckee1961
Just did a "counter rental" at Hertz on Independence Blvd in Charlotte NC for me and my spouse (spouse not present). Ask for Keith. He is very open to doing more for Grand Slammers (but maybe not Poetry Slammers, ha ha). He said if you call that location and ask for him he can give you the best US Air discount and any coupons available. It's a small location so he would rather know what you are doing than bring in an extra dozen cars that are not going to leave the lot. You do need to show up for a card swipe he says. Rental total with tax: $17.27
Too bad Keith wasn't working when I went in today! After I'd made the reservation online using the $5 US discount, the estimated AI price was $19. When I went in to pay, the guy there gave me a bill where he took away the $5 US discount and put me in a higher car class. I pointed out the discrepancies to him, and he played dumb (or perhaps WAS dumb) and spent another 5 minutes adjusting my price. Not sure if I'll go back there even if Keith is there - the place REEKED - like sour milk.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by alxir
You should confirm with the customer service rep at the rental desk where you pick up the car that you're getting US Air miles with the rental.
I saw a post somewhere saying the non-airport locations for Avis and Budget don't give mileage awards. When I've tried to make reservations with Avis for airline miles, I consistently get a red warning message that the non-airport locations don't accept the code for an airline. I was able to get the double miles coupon for a Budget reservation when I picked up the car at the airport and turned it in at a non-airport location, but it was expensive so I cancelled that reservation. One thing that was interesting about Budget is that you have to cancel your reservation a day or two before you're scheduled to pick up the car or they have the right to charge you a high cancellation fee. Hertz and Avis don't have any cancellation fees so that really got my attention.

the people at the rental desk basically know nothing about miles.
Last year I did confirm with them in budget and have my DM # in the rental contract, no miles posted and i have to call to find out what's going on.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by earthsci
the people at the rental desk basically know nothing about miles.
Last year I did confirm with them in budget and have my DM # in the rental contract, no miles posted and i have to call to find out what's going on.
OK, I almost solely rent from Hertz and they never fail to give me the airline miles, credits or points. Also, they normally transfer these to the airline in about two weeks after the car is returned although this may vary by airline depending on when they do their sweeps. My experience is that the promotion codes for airline bonuses are accepted at all the Hertz airport and off-airport locations in the US.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:06 am

Wondering if a no show on an hourly rental might earn points? Just signed up for a #1 gold account (no card swipe necessary). @:-)
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
Wondering if a no show on an hourly rental might earn points? Just signed up for a #1 gold account (no card swipe necessary). @:-)
I think their rules are that your first rental after obtaining the #1 Gold is that you must show up, in person, to have them swipe the actual card you have registered. After that, you don't need to swipe, but it might be worth talking to the manager rather than just no-showing and expecting the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.