Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Where are the e-fares for this week?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Where are the e-fares for this week?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
While I have not bought any E-fares in several years, THIS year I've bought 2 and been tempted by others. CIC/RDD/ACV-SFO-LAX/SAN for less than $200 a.i. is a steal. Have also seen CIC/RDD/ACV-SFO-JFK/PHL/ORD/Others for sub $300. The deals are finally back for No. Cal regional airports, and have been markedly cheaper than any regular advance purchase fares.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
I don't ever recall seeing a fare from PIT in the e-fares. I quit opening the emails after about a year.

In retrospect, I'm sure there were others like me and it would have been a good idea to at least toss in a weekly e-fare from a city not usually found in the e-fares just to keep peoples' interest, not lose it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by braslvr
While I have not bought any E-fares in several years, THIS year I've bought 2 and been tempted by others. CIC/RDD/ACV-SFO-LAX/SAN for less than $200 a.i. is a steal. Have also seen CIC/RDD/ACV-SFO-JFK/PHL/ORD/Others for sub $300. The deals are finally back for No. Cal regional airports, and have been markedly cheaper than any regular advance purchase fares.
I'm confused by those itineraries you mention. Is that an open jaws or a multi-segment one? I thought, or rather assumed, that they were non-stops A-B-A. Were you able to build more elaborate itineraries, perhaps for MR purposes?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
For a couple years I'd often find something from SAN and take off for the weekend when had nothing else to do.
The offerings in the 18mos have degraded, or their price matched other available flights, so why bother ?

Then they added "same day return", and it had no offerings shortly thereafter.

Can't say I'll miss it when they had it unusable.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Like others, I remember years ago when the weekly e-fares WERE sometimes real deals. My partner and took three completely spontaneous trips to Europe from SFO on e-fares, prompted entirely by the cheapness of the fare. More recently, I've used them maybe twice in the past few years.

Certainly, someone (or some computer) at UA does complex math to determine the effectiveness of lower e-fares and the gradual increase in prices is likely rational. But as the customer, I can point to many instances when I WOULD have purchased an e-fare if it had been just a bit cheaper. Did those flights still leave with empty seats? Would the price point that would have attracted me been worth it for UA? I have no idea. But someone at UA probably has generated an impressive spreadsheet or PowerPoint on this.

As already noted, they are STILL generally cheaper than your usual last-minute fare, but rarely, if ever, cheaper than a 3-4 week advance purchase (with fewer restrictions).
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Actually I haven't gotten todays email yet, just one on a sale ending soon.
And UA's website still shows weekend fares.

So its just over emailing people ? Doesn't make sense.
Would make more sense to get rid of weekends altogether.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Funny, I got the mail but just deleted it as usual. I've always used it as just a reminder that my email is still working...
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The e-fares email could be completely automated (assuming IT is halfway competent, I know), so I have no idea why the blast emails would be stopped.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
However, it is still much cheaper then last minute travel. I believe e-fares actually come from UA opening up the cheaper fare buckets with no advance purchase required.
I doubt it -- if you look at all the fares available, you'll see that the prices are set roughly according to distance, with no relation to the usual fares in that market. It's been this way for about a year now, and the only remaining "deals" under this formula are for oddball, low-traffic, non-competitive city pairs with high fares. (Or, when it first launched, they didn't add a premium for Canada -- so ORD-YYZ/YOW was quite a steal relative to the usual price. They "fixed" that soon thereafter.)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by paytonc
I have no idea why the blast emails would be stopped.
The entire world will be better off with fewer blast emails clogging the bitways.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
You'd think with lower loads in this environment, they'd actually offer some decent e-fares and send those emails out.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:06 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
My wife takes advantage of e-fares frequently. She has family in the D.C. area, and MBS-IAD usually shows up at about $160.00 all-in. And taking creative routing like MBS-ORD-IND-IAD, IAD-EWR-ORD-MBS, she gets pretty good value for herself, a segment-achieved 1P that usually ends up with 51 or 52 segments/year.

Neither of us think that the elimination of the e-mail is a big deal, it's not like we'd get anything that the mail said, maybe best case it would prompt us to look, but it's always been, "Hubby's out of town, if the e-fare shows up, I'll go down, if not, no big deal".
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Absurd cost cutting move.

Cost near nil to do such things, and even a few impluse bookings due to it is profit to them.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The entire world will be better off with fewer blast emails clogging the bitways.
Not sure what you mean. It was pretty easy to opt out of these.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Not sure what you mean.
Just that a significant percentage of net traffic is bulk email.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just that a significant percentage of net traffic is bulk email.
True, but I would differentiate between spam e-mails, which are unsolicited, and opt-in e-mails, which are presumably welcome by the recipients. The United E-fares are in the latter category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.