Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Where are the e-fares for this week?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Where are the e-fares for this week?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Next week is a holiday weekend. Not likely to be much then either.
The e-fares email includes both this weekend and next. They're about the same (at least from SFO).
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The e-fares email includes both this weekend and next. They're about the same (at least from SFO).
They are talking about same day returns, of which I have not been able to find any via the e-fares page, but they are published. One example being SBA-SFO same day return for 10 Jan 2009.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by hausrath
The e-fares page is working again!

...But based on a quick perusal, I didn't see any same day turns available for this weekend. Maybe next week.
I found a cheap SEA-IAD-MCO RT for $240.40 that I booked for this weekend. Fly out Friday night (10:55pm) and back 8:15pm on Saturday. Posted the info in the MR forum.

This is the first E-Fare I've been able to use. Ever. And I'm not sure if it's an actual E-Fare or just a ridiculously low fare due to underbooking.

I also saw SEA-SFO-KOA for $340 this weekend, but it requires an overnight stay in KOA.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
They are talking about same day returns
Sorry, missed that part.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
E-fares weekly e-mails - discontinued

Not completely surprised to hear of another major change in this program, but as part of my E-fares e-mail this morning:

emcampbe,

Welcome to your weekly E-Fares.
Thank you for having subscribed to our E-Fares emails. These weekly emails are being discontinued, and this is the last issue that you will receive. E-Fares will continue to be available on united.com Tuesday through Friday of each week. To see these fares, you can select the E-Fares link in the News & Deals section of the united.com home page or on the Special Deals page, whenever E-Fares are available. You can also use the united.com booking tool and look for fares marked with a blue star and the label "E-Fares."

We hope that you will continue to enjoy available discounted fares each week through united.com.

We would also like to remind you that now would be a good time to check your united.com email subscription preferences and make sure that you are receiving information about fare sales, Mileage Plus® offers and valuable partner offers. Simply log in to My Profile and view your settings on the Email & Subscriptions tab.

Thank you again for having been an E-Fares email subscriber.

Sincerely,

The united.com team
So, while it looks like the emails are being discontinued, they will still be offered through the deals section of the Web site. I'm a little surprised that these emails are going away - it costs very little to send out, and gives customers a reminder that is sent directly to them. Now, the customer has to make the effort to find them. So if the goal of the e-fares program was to fill seats that aren't being booked, this will become much harder for UA to achieve. Also, I suspect that UA won't be helped by the fact that AA, CO, etc. are still sending last minute weekend deal promotions out weekly.

I think with a little effort, the email program could have worked well. When in ORD, my e-fares were always ones from ORD, which was great. Now that I'm in CVG, the origins featured in my e-mails were usually LAX and IAD, despite the fact that there are often enough deals out of CVG to make it personalized by origin. Other airlines don't do that with their weekly emails, its an easy thing to do for UA that doesn't cost much, since they know where we live already, I think they could make more $ through the program.

I'm also wondering what the greater effect on this program will be down the line, and whether this is the first step in this program being eliminated completely.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
E-Fares Emails Come To An End

Not the least bit pleased about this. How complex is the generation of this weekly marketing message? When I clicked to view all available E-Fares, the page was full of errors and no cities were listed in the drop down. Sigh...

SFO 1K,

Welcome to your Bay Area weekly E-Fares.

Thank you for having subscribed to our E-Fares emails. These weekly emails are being discontinued, and this is the last issue that you will receive. E-Fares will continue to be available on united.com Tuesday through Friday of each week. To see these fares, you can select the E-Fares link in the News & Deals section of the united.com home page or on the Special Deals page, whenever E-Fares are available. You can also use the united.com booking tool and look for fares marked with a blue star and the label "E-Fares."

We hope that you will continue to enjoy available discounted fares each week through united.com.

We would also like to remind you that now would be a good time to check your united.com email subscription preferences and make sure that you are receiving information about fare sales, Mileage Plus® offers and valuable partner offers. Simply log in to My Profile and view your settings on the Email & Subscriptions tab.

Thank you again for having been an E-Fares email subscriber.

Sincerely,
The united.com team
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
They must have been too expensive...
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: united airlines
You found these useful? A few years ago, I did come upon a great e-fare ($500 IAD to MVD), but after that I never saw any that tempted me. Most of the time, I could purchase a non-e-fare ticket to A for less than the e-fare one to A, and without the limits of an e-fare (out on a Friday or Saturday, return on a Sunday or Monday flying domestically). After a while, I stopped looking for the announcement of new ones made after 12 MN Mondays/Tuesdays, figuring I was so likely to find anything that it wasn't worth even the minimal effort to look. Your experience has been different and you have availed yourself of e-fares more than once?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by itsme
Your experience has been different and you have availed yourself of e-fares more than once?
Sure. For weekend getaways not planned in advance to places like LAX, LAS. And now that I'm moving to Denver, it's helpful having last minute sales to DEN as well. Are they always cheaper than if I booked 3 weeks out - not always - but they are much cheaper than if I book less than a week out but not within the confined of the E-Fare T&Cs.

There have even been deals to JFK that have worked out well for me, with upgrades on p.s. and a last minute Broadway show ticket in the center orchestra due to house seats being released close to the date of performance.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I remember when there used to be seriously good e-fare deals... You could never count on a specific city pair being there from week to week, but when it was, the deal was good. But I haven't bothered looking at these things for at least year...
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Sure. For weekend getaways not planned in advance to places like LAX, LAS. And now that I'm moving to Denver, it's helpful having last minute sales to DEN as well. Are they always cheaper than if I booked 3 weeks out - not always - but they are much cheaper than if I book less than a week out but not within the confined of the E-Fare T&Cs.
Good luck finding any deals out of DEN...e-fare or otherwise. They have been few and far between recently.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IME, they were not the super cheap deals like when the e-fares were originally launched.

However, it is still much cheaper then last minute travel. I believe e-fares actually come from UA opening up the cheaper fare buckets with no advance purchase required.

Also, lets be clear... UA is not discontinuing e-fares... just the useless e-mail that told us that e-fares were out for the week.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
They must have been too expensive...
The fares were.

It is hard to believe that making this change makes sense in any way. Sending the emails is essentially a free action. Why discontinue them?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
While sending out blast emails is relatively cheap, there is labor costs associated with it. UA might be downsizing it's IT/creative services department so this type of thing would seem appropriate.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This line in the mail just cracks me up

We would also like to remind you that now would be a good time to check your united.com email subscription preferences and make sure that you are receiving information about fare sales

Like the weekly e-fare mailing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.