Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Liz
I strongly prefer the NZ lounge. Not sure why anyone wouldn't.
Solitude.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by jd2000
I disagree with this completely. Their partner's lounge is so good, the amount they'd need to invest to match that quality couldn't possibly be a correct business decision.
Also agreed. After all, QF does the exact same thing on the other end of this route at LAX. Hard to see how this action spins into a UA slam vs. QF when they're in the very same shoes. No one is saying that QF "isn't serious about the American market" by using AA for lounge services.

It would be very nice if UA set up a customer service desk in the NZ lounge like QF has in the AC at LAX. Aside from the QF plaque on the door, that is the only differentiating factor in the two situations here... except that the NZ lounge has better food/drink offerings than the AC .

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jan 20, 2008 at 1:30 am
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Also agreed. After all, QF does the exact same thing on the other end of this route at LAX. Hard to see how this action spins into a UA slam vs. QF when they're in the very same shoes. No one is saying that QF "isn't serious about the American market" by using AA for lounge services.
Except that QF contributed millions of USD to the Flagship lounge at LAX since they knew they couldn't count on an american carrier to build a proper lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jd2000
I disagree with this completely. Their partner's lounge is so good, the amount they'd need to invest to match that quality couldn't possibly be a correct business decision.

Having just been there, with the chance to try all 3 lounges (NZ, SQ Raffles, and UA IFL), this decision immediately vaults them from a distant 3rd to a clear 1st with very little downtime and likely minimal cost. This is the kind of intelligent decision people like to bash UA's management for not making.
Yes the NZ lounge is the best but NZ also flies to the USA, although via AKL for now.

Putting people in the nicer NZ lounge would surely get some thinking about the NZ product and in turn some may end up flying NZ.

I am still sticking with its just another step before UA start to reduce flights to Australia.

With V Australia, QF A380's, Jetstar and also NZ expanding over the next 12-48 months the hardest airline hit will be UA
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:43 am

As someone else pointed out QF put money into the AA lounge

Also most importantly AA dont' fly to Australia where as NZ does fly to the US
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by AndDee
As someone else pointed out QF put money into the AA lounge
And UA will put money into the NZ lounge via fees. I just don't see the average customer being cognizant or concerned about upfront capital issues when it comes to lounge services. The AA LAX AC still ranks down with the worst of domestic lounges in food/drinks. You can't even get a coke there without feeling compelled to tip (which Australians just LOVE about the US anyway!). As I mentioned, the only differentiating factor between the two situations is the QF customer service rep at the LAX AC, which it would be very nice for UA to duplicate... that, and the lack of food/drinks for QF/AA of course .
Also most importantly AA dont' fly to Australia where as NZ does fly to the US
k... this matters (most importantly) because?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:57 am

And UA will put money into the NZ lounge via fees.

k... this matters (most importantly) because?
Very different putting a small amounts of $ a day into a lounge whereas QF put lots into a very nice lounge, but over say 5 years it may work out the same.

Someone else said the UA/NZ lounge arrangement is pretty much the same as the QF/AA arrangement.

They are different set ups and structures.

As I said putting people into a competitors lounge, where that competitor flies pretty much the same route is an "interesting" concept. Yes I am aware they are both *A but still!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Yes the NZ lounge is the best but NZ also flies to the USA, although via AKL for now.

Putting people in the nicer NZ lounge would surely get some thinking about the NZ product and in turn some may end up flying NZ.

I am still sticking with its just another step before UA start to reduce flights to Australia.

With V Australia, QF A380's, Jetstar and also NZ expanding over the next 12-48 months the hardest airline hit will be UA
I imagine you have heard that UA is "merging" with (being taken over by) Delta.

So this is rather academic anyway...
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
I imagine you have heard that UA is "merging" with (being taken over by) Delta.

So this is rather academic anyway...
Read about it on that other site so you know ............
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:03 am

Very different putting a small amounts of $ a day into a lounge whereas QF put lots into a very nice lounge, but over say 5 years it may work out the same. Someone else said the UA/NZ lounge arrangement is pretty much the same as the QF/AA arrangement. They are different set ups and structures. As I said putting people into a competitors lounge, where that competitor flies pretty much the same route is an "interesting" concept. Yes I am aware they are both *A but still!
Different to the airline, but pretty much identical to the customer. I'm just putting your earlier "end of UA at SYD" comments in perspective. Just because you're sensitive to the funding structures of lounge services doesn't make you a typical customer . Again, if UA put a CS desk in the NZ lounge, this would be very much on par with QF/LAX.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jan 20, 2008 at 3:22 am
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:53 am

I'll re-phrase, it's yet another sign that UA may pull out of Australia over the next 12-24 months

Didn't someone say the UA staff would be moved to the NZ lounge ?

But that doesnt' mean a desk or anything I guess
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ozflier
I am wondering if the UA staff that sit at the RCC will be transferred to the NZ Lounge - I remember this was the situation in Auckland before they left.
I have just spoken with Annie in the SYD RCC, and she confirms that she will be moving to the Air NZ lounge 2/18. I believe this is a positive step, as UA needs an experienced representative in the lounge to handle bookings and irreg ops.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I hope she is on an inside desk not the front desk.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
So I'm guessing the Melbourne RCC will be closed as well?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Asuka
So I'm guessing the Melbourne RCC will be closed as well?
That can be arranged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.