Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I think we need a report from Annie as to whats going on (and whats happening to here). WHo's leaving SYD soon?
Believe it or not, I was passing through SYD today!

Wasn't flying UA, but dropped into the RCC to check up on this. It was Annie's day off, but I asked one of the other UA staff members there. She said it was still rumour and that they weren't sure since there's been no official word yet. I enquired about Annie and apparently she's been supervising checkin and they predict she'll stay there doing that. No word on if there would be a UA presence in the NZ lounge, but I wouldn't count on it!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
NZ lounge will get pretty crowded at times.

TG have 3 flights a day all 777 or 747 and they use that one too, so a fair few pax.

I was on TG a couple weeks ago and they also call those flights.

There is a TG 747 at 4.45pm and that overlaps with UA pretty much.

http://www.thaiairways.com.au/thai_f...sp?city=sydney
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Three words: another service cutback.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by qasr
Believe it or not, I was passing through SYD today!

Wasn't flying UA, but dropped into the RCC to check up on this. It was Annie's day off, but I asked one of the other UA staff members there. She said it was still rumour and that they weren't sure since there's been no official word yet. I enquired about Annie and apparently she's been supervising checkin and they predict she'll stay there doing that. No word on if there would be a UA presence in the NZ lounge, but I wouldn't count on it!
I was about to ask if anyone has actually seen confirmation of this from UA, because I don't find anything. I was thinking maybe they were closing it for remodel or upgrade? With UAs desire to increase Pacific routes and operations it doesn't seem logical.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
I think a more important concern here is the RCC system in general. If SYD is closing, what's next? At LHR for instance, with the move to T1, will there even be a LHR RCC? It's one thing to be able to choose to not go to the RCC, and entirely another when you're forced to use another airline's lounge. As nice as some of the *A lounges are, I think it's irresponsible for UA to shove all of their passengers to those lounges, and moreso, unfair to the *A partners that will now be forced to accomodate these people. If I was a full-fare SQ C passenger and now force to share with all the *G Y-pax from UA, I'd be rather upset.
I understand not wanting to be crowded in lounges, but if you were a SQ C passenger you'd be upset to share a lounge witha *G Y passenger? You gotta be kidding! What next, you gonna be upset to be sitting on the same plane as them? Maybe get your own jet and you wouldnt have to deal with all the ruffians in the back.

goodo
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by goodo
I understand not wanting to be crowded in lounges, but if you were a SQ C passenger you'd be upset to share a lounge witha *G Y passenger? You gotta be kidding! What next, you gonna be upset to be sitting on the same plane as them? Maybe get your own jet and you wouldnt have to deal with all the ruffians in the back.

goodo
I think you are missing the point.
You've apparently never been in the SYD RCC.

It is *packed*. If you don't get there two hours before the flight to LAX or SFO, good luck finding a seat.

Now these pax will be going to another airline's lounge. It isn't fair to either airline's customers to crowd a lounge because one airline has decided to disinvest. I fully expected to use the SYD RCC next fall (even if the other lounges are reputed to be nicer ... I use my airline's lounge because I don't need hassles from matrons who don't understand the *G or loung membership reciprocity rules).

At the very least if UA is going to decrease the number of RCCs it ought to refund part of my membership fee.

And yeah, as someone who has paid for an RCC membership it is a bit annoying to see all the LH *Gs crowding the IAD RCCs. Of course, when in MUC, I don't think twice about using the LH lounge. .

The answer is to build more lounges, or reduce the number of *A pax who can use them.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
SYD's RCC was pretty decent. I liked the sandwiches.. they use the same ones you see in First/Business Class. She directed me to the "First International Lounge" but I found out later anybody could enter, but they did try to make it "special' for me though. The ruse quickly unravelled when more people started walking in. I didn't ask for it though, I was just happy to have a place to sit in.
The RCC was a dump, I dropped in there to make a change to my flight. "We can't do that here, do you want the # for res?". The F area is the same thing as the C/RCC.
The NZ lounge is the best *A one in SYD. Its pretty spacious, has great food and drink options. Showers and wifi. And its looks great.

I was in the EK one before SYD-AKL, that was an even better lounge!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
When I went there, I was not too familiar with the rules and now wish I checked out NZ's Koru.

I am aware the former First Class is now RCC, but the employees there attempt to differentiate the two, but basically anyone can enter. I have no plans to return to Australia for the next few years anyways, but thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
While the personnel at the RCC were nicer, I thought the place was pretty claustrophobic. When I went there last month, the FC room was packed and the AC turned up so high, I had to pull out my thickest jacket to stay warm.

OTOH, the Koru club was roomy, and it had INTERNET access for FREE!

SYD would be one of those cities where I could see a * Alliance lounge a la London (well AC/SK).

I hope that UA finds a new home for the staff, who I thought were sincere and very helpful.

Originally Posted by Wiggums
When I went there, I was not too familiar with the rules and now wish I checked out NZ's Koru.

I am aware the former First Class is now RCC, but the employees there attempt to differentiate the two, but basically anyone can enter. I have no plans to return to Australia for the next few years anyways, but thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I think we need a report from Annie as to whats going on (and whats happening to here). WHo's leaving SYD soon?
I shall be off on the 17th ...
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The entire SQ club can fit into the RCC IFL.
I don't know where you've been, but we found the SKL to be quite roomy (and empty when we were there). The UA IFL, on the other hand, is only slightly larger than our living room.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Budley
Tell me again why anybody flies UA into / out of Australia.
Upgrades.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The entire SQ club can fit into the RCC IFL.
No idea what you're talking about.

(And why are you bolding airline codes?)
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mre5765
Originally Posted by goodo

goodo
I think you are missing the point.
You've apparently never been in the SYD RCC.

It is *packed*. If you don't get there two hours before the flight to LAX or SFO, good luck finding a seat.

Now these pax will be going to another airline's lounge. It isn't fair to either airline's customers to crowd a lounge because one airline has decided to disinvest. I fully expected to use the SYD RCC next fall (even if the other lounges are reputed to be nicer ... I use my airline's lounge because I don't need hassles from matrons who don't understand the *G or loung membership reciprocity rules).

At the very least if UA is going to decrease the number of RCCs it ought to refund part of my membership fee.

And yeah, as someone who has paid for an RCC membership it is a bit annoying to see all the LH *Gs crowding the IAD RCCs. Of course, when in MUC, I don't think twice about using the LH lounge. .

The answer is to build more lounges, or reduce the number of *A pax who can use them.

^^^

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Imagine if US tomorrow said, "Oh, we're closing all of our lounges and our pax are going to use the RCC's instead?" I guarantee you that UA pax would be in an uproar.

I really think the reciprocal lounge agreement was never meant to circumvent investments that need to be made in them (although you have to give UA credit for finding a way!). Most likely *A set these rules up to help out other *A partners into airports where the partner only had one or two flights a day. With the kind of traffic that UA gets into SYD, it is inexcusable to push off its passengers onto another airline's lounge, imho.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by pschafer
I really cannot see why anyone would miss the SYD RCC (except for the UA specific support of late changes and UGs) - it is/was dismal. Very poor F&B selection, tatty furniture, and insufficient toilets. SQ and NZ are both better options.

I fully agree.

The RCC lounge in SYD is woeful, small, dark, and poor F&B as stated. The Air NZ lounge is far more inviting with a lot more space, a nice outlook and good food and driinks.

I'm surprised UA didn't close the SYD RCC ages ago and done us all a favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.