Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by TonySCV
That can be arranged.
Hey they recently upgraded this lounge.... with smaller tables, removing most of the larger ones.

Speaking to one of the RCC ladies there, she was hoping the 2 seater lounges were going to be removed, all I could think of... being replaced with stools?

I liked the larger tables in this RCC, given the number of power points available to use. Now you have 2 people on a small table, with little room for coffee/snacks, but maybe that was their idea in cost cutting.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I hope she is on an inside desk not the front desk.

In order not to intimidate the NZ passengers with a look at UA's flight management and upgrade rodeos ?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Asuka
So I'm guessing the Melbourne RCC will be closed as well?
I liked the NZ lounge there too, but I have to admit I didn't venture into the RCC. An RCC for one flight a day doesn't seem to make too much sense. That said, the NZ lounge seems to close sometime not long before the UA flight departs, so if the UA flight were ever significantly delayed, I guess that would become problematic.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jd2000
SNIP if the UA flight were ever significantly delayed, I guess that would become problematic.
(emphasis mine)

IF???

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Lurker
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just confirming that this is 100% official!

From the www.ual.com website under "Lounges"

Sydney Lounge:
Effective February 19, United lounge customers are invited to use the superb Air New Zealand International Lounge at Sydney Airport. The lounge is located on the Mezzanine Level above departure gates 59-61. Although the United Red Carpet Club and United First International Lounge at Sydney Airport will close, United staff will be available in the Air New Zealand Lounge prior to United scheduled departures should customers require assistance.

The Melbourne lounge is still listed there, curious as to why they keep a small lounge for one flight a day with only connecting passengers whereas Sydney with 2-3 flights per day directly out of SYD gets closed instead.

Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by AndDee
The Melbourne lounge is still listed there, curious as to why they keep a small lounge for one flight a day with only connecting passengers whereas Sydney with 2-3 flights per day directly out of SYD gets closed instead.

The lease probably expired at SYD, thus forcing a decision there. Price might have gone way up (like what happened to AA @ SEA). Who knows, just a guess.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
The lease probably expired at SYD, thus forcing a decision there. Price might have gone way up (like what happened to AA @ SEA). Who knows, just a guess.
Well SYD airport is known to charge high prices from everything from car parking to landing fees so YES.

Just to throw another idea out there

V Australia Lounge ...............
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:07 am

My feedback from SYD UAL staff was that the RCC was getting old and refurbishment would be too problematic.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lurker
(emphasis mine)

IF???

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Lurker
I would guess that the entire SYD-MEL-SYD turn usually gets canceled if it would be very late -- so that the MEL-SYD is usually close to on time (or doesn't exist at all and you're rebooked on another carrier)?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We just talked to Annie in the RCC at SYD. She confirms that the RCC will close next week and that she will be working, as a UA employee, in the NZ lounge.

I am actually posting this from the NZ where the food is pretty good today. We are looking forward to boarding the plane and enjoying a nice long sleep to SFO.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:42 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Yea, Annie mentioned that when I was there last week... said 18th was her last day in the old club, but she was moving upstairs... she's grown accustomed to many of us she's known for years and said that she'll have a desk in the NZ Club to take care of us UA flyers.

Originally Posted by ozflier
My feedback from SYD UAL staff was that the RCC was getting old and refurbishment would be too problematic.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am glad UA took care of its employees, that is the right thing to do.

However, having visited the UA, NZ and SQ lounges at SYD, I know I won't miss the RCC. NZ just blows them all away, great selection of food, plus a nice playroom for children (thus keeping the kids happy and the rest of the lounge peaceful). All lounges should be equipped with one. Plus deluxe showers, even better than EK (though the food at EK was the best spread I've ever seen).

The NZ lounge also has really nice people working there - 180 degrees from the dragons at IAD. Could not be nicer or more helpful.

If UA is continuing to slash costs, it should just simply outsource all the lounges to other airlines, where they are staffed by professionals who have attended smile school.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am in SYD right now. Was in the RCC, but only to meet the famous Annie. She is FANTASTIC!! We spent about 5 minutes chatting. She said at least 1 person a day comes thru saying they heard about her from this Forum. She said she does not have a computer, so does not know about FlyTalk. She says she feels great knowing people think about her!

I am up in the NZ lounge right now. 10000% better than the RCC. And the IFL in the RCC was BAD BAD BAD. So even without an IFL here, I prefer the NZ Lounge. And free internet too! Food is fantastic here. Better than ANY UA IFL I have ever been in.

This is a good move for UA travelers. There are several NZ flights delayed today due to a catering mix up, but the lounge is still very comfortable, with less than 1/4 of the seats taken.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
UA email

Received today:

... My reason for writing is to advise
you of an enhancement to our product offering. Effective
19 February 2008 United Airlines has taken the decision to
utilise the superb lounge facilities of its Star
Alliance(R) partner Air New Zealand at Sydney Airport.

... United staff
will be available in the lounge prior to scheduled
departures should customers require assistance.

Although the United Airlines lounge at Sydney will be
closing, we will continue to utilise our recently upgraded
lounge facility at Melbourne Airport.

Sincerely
General Manager Australia and New Zealand
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the ANZ lounge is a zillion times better than the RCC, my recent personal experience is that the ANZ lounge personnel are less helpful. Think ORD RCC B concourse matron (without any gender restrictions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.