Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yup QF flight is hours after BA's flight. I had 3 hours in the BA F lounge during which time there was between 0 and 3 other passengers with me.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:07 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
1,000 people? If that's the guide, that means that any domestic station with, oh, 7 A320 flights should get an RCC too.

QF doesn't have a lounge in LAX or SFO, and they have more flights to LAX than UA has in SYD.

UA is just cutting something that's not so efficient. And after my recent experience with teh SYD club staff, good riddance.

The NZ arrangement will work just fine.
This is NOT a domestic lounge with either Ted service or a crappy A320, so it's totally different this is a premium international station. It's not Vegas Oh wait even Vegas doesn't have a RCC

This is one of United's more profitable routes aparently as they haven't cut flights and QF makes a huge amount of their profit on this route and have recently intoduced a sensational First lounge in SYD.

Even more reasons for UA to compete with QF

As it stands now:
QF - Outstanding First lounge,
Far superior seats and in flight service when compared to UA.
Far superior IFE.
Full ground staff support, Yes I know it's in Australia but still.
A380's on the route by the end of the year, while UA struggles with a refit of their 744's.
UA possibly closing their RCC and putting people in the NZ lounge.

Defaintely not a good sign!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AndDee
..A380's on the route by the end of the year, while UA struggles with a refit of their 744's.
UA possibly closing their RCC and putting people in the NZ lounge..
Well let's hope that they will not succeed anytime soon!

Having the new C config on the 744s will make upgrading impossible while at the same time not even having IFE in E and E+ . Even LH with a traditional contempt for Y pax does quickly refit the entire fleet.
Quo vadis UA ?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Yes QF for ugs is impossible basically (my B.I.L is Plat on AA and he cant get near a C/J seat on the transpacs he flies to SYD - the award seating is always gone. I have no illusions re the ugs possibilities on QF .
Well you are talking about two separate items here - Upgrades vs Award seating for non-QF members (just from reading your post).

QF award seating trans-Pacific *IS* available in premium cabins, you just sometimes need to be creative. The LAX-BNE flight, for example, has worked for me in the past. I know the challenges exist for AA members.

QF Upgrades - I've used QFF points to upgrade SFO-SYD successfully twice, and I'm sure there are others with similar success stories. Yes, the flights are usually booked with revenue passengers (including F & C), but it is possible. It's the ridiculous number of points you have to earn to be ABLE to upgrade that makes QF less attractive when comparing to UA, particularly when UA Standard Awards seem to have great availability for C/F cabins LAX/SFO - SYD.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier
I am wondering if the UA staff that sit at the RCC will be transferred to the NZ Lounge - I remember this was the situation in Auckland before they left.
Have been to the RCC today. Lady confirmed the transfer of the lounge into the realm of the NZ club.

She also confirmed that the systems and the employees would be transferred as the system was complex to use.

Major reason for the move was that the ug to a modern lounge with wireless etc would have been disproportionally expensive. Upgrades should still be processed in the lounge ^.

She mentioned that the transition will not happen before mid-February.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by weero
Have been to the RCC today. Lady confirmed the transfer of the lounge into the realm of the NZ club.

She also confirmed that the systems and the employees would be transferred as the system was complex to use.

Major reason for the move was that the ug to a modern lounge with wireless etc would have been disproportionally expensive. Upgrades should still be processed in the lounge ^.

She mentioned that the transition will not happen before mid-February.
IMHO UA has done something right for a change^ I was in the AirNZ lounge back in December and found it far superior to the RCC.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by cssaus
IMHO UA has done something right for a change^ I was in the AirNZ lounge back in December and found it far superior to the RCC.
Not really, it just shows they are not serious about the Australian market so they choose the cheaper option and put people in a competitors lounge.

Hopefully many people will realise that as the NZ lounge is nicer their planes are much nicer as well.

Also hopefully NZ go back to non-stop SYD-LAX flights when they receive their 777-300ERs and 787!

My next flight out of SYD is in just over a week so will report back on here while sitting in the lounge. I have about 4 hours to spend from around 9am to 1pm so should get a good indication of how busy the lounge actually is.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:13 pm

..Also hopefully NZ go back to non-stop SYD-LAX flights when they receive their 777-300ERs and 787! ..
I would not want to land short of the runway in SFO on SYD-SFO though .
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Thanks for the confirmation weero.

I was starting to get really nervous that I had started a rumor.

Lurker
Old Jan 19, 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker
Thanks for the confirmation weero.

I was starting to get really nervous that I had started a rumor.

Lurker
Well this isn't that other aviation website which is full of rumors
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Well this isn't that other aviation website which is full of rumors
AndDee,

I know the one you're talking about .

I have migrated over to the the BA site recently to monitor their response to BA38 landing short at LHR. Interestingly enough they have an equivalent over there - PpRuNe.org!!

At least the title of that website acknowledges what's going on!

Lurker
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:27 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The NZ lounge is terrific. During my last trip to OZ, I opted to go to this lounge as opposed to the RCC. I hope it does not become massively overcrowded now that it will serve as the UA lounge.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:15 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
I strongly prefer the NZ lounge. Not sure why anyone wouldn't.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Not really, it just shows they are not serious about the Australian market so they choose the cheaper option and put people in a competitors lounge.
I disagree with this completely. Their partner's lounge is so good, the amount they'd need to invest to match that quality couldn't possibly be a correct business decision.

Having just been there, with the chance to try all 3 lounges (NZ, SQ Raffles, and UA IFL), this decision immediately vaults them from a distant 3rd to a clear 1st with very little downtime and likely minimal cost. This is the kind of intelligent decision people like to bash UA's management for not making.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: HH/CX Diamond, VA/IC/A-Club Plat, UA/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jd2000
I disagree with this completely. Their partner's lounge is so good, the amount they'd need to invest to match that quality couldn't possibly be a correct business decision.

Having just been there, with the chance to try all 3 lounges (NZ, SQ Raffles, and UA IFL), this decision immediately vaults them from a distant 3rd to a clear 1st with very little downtime and likely minimal cost. This is the kind of intelligent decision people like to bash UA's management for not making.
Agreed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.