FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:30 pm
seanp7

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Yes QF for ugs is impossible basically (my B.I.L is Plat on AA and he cant get near a C/J seat on the transpacs he flies to SYD - the award seating is always gone. I have no illusions re the ugs possibilities on QF .
Well you are talking about two separate items here - Upgrades vs Award seating for non-QF members (just from reading your post).

QF award seating trans-Pacific *IS* available in premium cabins, you just sometimes need to be creative. The LAX-BNE flight, for example, has worked for me in the past. I know the challenges exist for AA members.

QF Upgrades - I've used QFF points to upgrade SFO-SYD successfully twice, and I'm sure there are others with similar success stories. Yes, the flights are usually booked with revenue passengers (including F & C), but it is possible. It's the ridiculous number of points you have to earn to be ABLE to upgrade that makes QF less attractive when comparing to UA, particularly when UA Standard Awards seem to have great availability for C/F cabins LAX/SFO - SYD.