Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

It's Official, UA952 New Premium Cabin Inaugural -- Nov. 19, 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Official, UA952 New Premium Cabin Inaugural -- Nov. 19, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, GM in most other programs
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
The current schedule has the aircraft completing two round trips IAD-FRA (952/953) on 11/19 and 11/20. It is then scheduled to operate to SFO on 11/21 as UA937 and returning to IAD on 11/22 as UA914.
Thank you for that update. Would you happen to know if it is scheduled to do another IAD-FRA-IAD round trip on 11/22?

I booked 953 FRA-IAD 11/23 long time ago, expecting it to be the new business class. I cannot change my travel date, but if it's going to be an old 767 I would rather choose a different route using 777 equip.

Thanks!
TomB
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tomb1K
Would you happen to know if it is scheduled to do another IAD-FRA-IAD round trip on 11/22?
That's the plan. Again - remember EVERYTHING is subject to change.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:12 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
The journey begins

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go"
Today I fly UA950 (ORD-IAD, current config 3 class 763) in F. I am going a day early so that a flight delay will not cause me to miss the inaugural flight. Too much time, money and effort by myself and UA has gone into planning this trip to take that risk. As djknif mentioned above, UA has been fantastic in making arrangements for those of us on the inaugural.

I am writing this from a "Fantastic Suite" in W Chicago City Center. I share a condo with a friend in Chicago but my partner and our dog were visiting and it was too crowded. The 65lb dog can somehow occupy a whole king sized bed. We wanted to get away and have some privacy last night. The last few days have been quite hectic. In addition to some medical and other personal business I had to take care of, the last minute preparations have taken lots of time. For example, to save time the custom printed polo shirt that I had made for the inaugural flight was delivered by the manufacturer to the IAD station operations manager. Because of some reasons that I will explain in my next posting I need to wear the shirt at ORD check-in today. UA flew the shirt Friday afternoon to ORD where I picked it up.

There are another 44 boxes of the custom printed m&ms on the way to IAD. They are supposed to be delivered just a couple hours before the flight. I decided that the original 44 would probably not be enough. Besides the IAD station operations manager loves chocolate had threaten to eat most of the ones that were sitting in her office . If the new shipment does not make it in time I will ration the original ones and make do.
"But the dawn is breakin, Its early morn"

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm Reason: Fix a link that moved
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
^ have fun on the flights! Very much looking forward to your reports--I'm sure there will be more detail involved than any of us will know what to do with.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, GM in most other programs
Originally Posted by Tomb1K
Would you happen to know if it is scheduled to do another IAD-FRA-IAD round trip on 11/22?
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
That's the plan. Again - remember EVERYTHING is subject to change.
That's great news for me -- understanding that plans can change, of course.

Thanks a lot.

TomB
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1P
Bonne journee, Gfowler... thanks for keeping us all informed and entertained!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Well guess who's not going?

Just called to ticket and was told "oh, the robot cancelled your reservation." They claim since I had IAD-LHR booked Tuesday, I couldn't book IAD-FRA on Monday - so it was cancelled. As posted above, it's now F0 C0, so "there's absolutely nothing we can do for you."

I even asked when I put this on hold "but won't it be considered duplicate" and was told "no, the flights are 24 hours apart you will be fine to wait." Grrrrr.....so an agent makes a mistake, and I'm left without a seat on the innaugural. MAJOR thumbs down to UA and the line of "there's nothing we can do."

Any suggestions for escalation?

Last edited by ironmanjt; Nov 18, 2007 at 8:19 am
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, A'A EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, Sixt Plat
Ok this is really strange. A couple days ago I booked an XC saver business seat on the inaugural flight for 80K miles. I secured seat 7J on UA952. Now I look on my itineraries and I see that UA has already bumped me out of business class and put me into First Class with seat 1K.

Should I call UA and ask them why they did this? Should I demand my Business Class seat back even though the inventory zero'ed out. I really wanted to try the new Business class product on this flight.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by UAL1KFLYER
Ok this is really strange. A couple days ago I booked an XC saver business seat on the inaugural flight for 80K miles. I secured seat 7J on UA952. Now I look on my itineraries and I see that UA has already bumped me out of business class and put me into First Class with seat 1K.

Should I call UA and ask them why they did this? Should I demand my Business Class seat back even though the inventory zero'ed out. I really wanted to try the new Business class product on this flight.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
It sounds to me like you have been awarded an op up in advance. They likely thought they had 32 seats in the old config and now only have 26 seats. Why not keep the F seat, presumably you are in C coming back so you can experience both, assuming you are returning on the new config.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:08 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

I am at the ORD RCC now. The reason UA wanted to wear my custom polo shirt is UA has a photographer accompanying me until departure. Pics at http://gfowler.smugmug.com/gallery/3868228

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Nov 22, 2007 at 3:49 am
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Just called to ticket and was told "oh, the robot cancelled your reservation." They claim since I had IAD-LHR booked Tuesday, I couldn't book IAD-FRA on Monday - so it was cancelled. As posted above, it's now F0 C0, so "there's absolutely nothing we can do for you."
ironman, very sorry to hear this. Can the 1K line help you? Who/what/when did you ticket this through originally?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I am at the ORD RCC now. The reason UA wanted to wear my custom polo shirt is UA has a photographer accompanying me until departure. The cell phone quality pics are at http://www.tmobilepictures.com/genefowler

Gene,

Is he following you to FRA... or just until the flight?

Also, please don't forget to take a look at the whole plane.... see how much E+ has changed.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:53 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Gene,

Is he following you to FRA... or just until the flight?

Also, please don't forget to take a look at the whole plane.... see how much E+ has changed.
I am aboard 950 now. He was here until I boarded. My guess is others will take over at IAD. I will look at E+ also.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I am aboard 950 now. He was here until I boarded. My guess is others will take over at IAD. I will look at E+ also.

Cool, and BTW..... thanks for doing ALL of this. We really appreciate it.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, A'A EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, Sixt Plat
Yeah thanks again Gene! Look forward to seeing you. I called UA and apparently they did op me up to First Class. I guess they had to since their wasn't enough seats in business class. \

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.