Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Status Match [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Status Match [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Originally Posted by ramblers63
anyone know on a status match challenge if the segments under 500 miles will still count as 500 miles? Or do you only get credit for the actual miles on those short legs?
Well, remember that while you go through the challenge, you're already 1P - so you do get the minimum 500 miles per segment, recorded as EQM (plus another 500 RDM).

Now whether the Status Match dept. is really fussy and distinguishes between (say) 487 BIS miles versus the actual 500 EQM recorded for a 1P, I don't know. I can't believe they'd pull that as a reason to miss a challenge. I'm not even sure their system would be aware of the difference.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Just switched to United, status help!

So, I live in Denver and have flown exclusively frontier for the past 5 years working as a consultant. I primarily had to go to the west coast + chicago, Ohio, and New York so I never had to fly anything but frontier. Well, my newest client is in Toronto and I will be flying there basically weekly or every other week. Im considering switching over to United exclusively, but I am having trouble stomaching the fact that I will still have 0 status come January first despite the fact I should be near 25k miles.

My first Toronto flight was one month ago and have had 2 since then and I am already feeling very irritated. Ive (well, my company) spent about $3300 so far since I have to fly on short notice and each time I have had a terrible seat in the back, had to gate check 4 our of 6 segments and the flight attendents seem very rude compared to frontier.

Do they ever gift even the first level of status? Is there any accelerated way to get it? Im feeling very frustrated and I think if I could at least get into exit rows or economy plus + not have to gate check, the transition would be much much less painful!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Skacorica
So, I live in Denver and have flown exclusively frontier for the past 5 years working as a consultant. I primarily had to go to the west coast + chicago, Ohio, and New York so I never had to fly anything but frontier. Well, my newest client is in Toronto and I will be flying there basically weekly or every other week. Im considering switching over to United exclusively, but I am having trouble stomaching the fact that I will still have 0 status come January first despite the fact I should be near 25k miles.

My first Toronto flight was one month ago and have had 2 since then and I am already feeling very irritated. Ive (well, my company) spent about $3300 so far since I have to fly on short notice and each time I have had a terrible seat in the back, had to gate check 4 our of 6 segments and the flight attendents seem very rude compared to frontier.

Do they ever gift even the first level of status? Is there any accelerated way to get it? Im feeling very frustrated and I think if I could at least get into exit rows or economy plus + not have to gate check, the transition would be much much less painful!
Do you have any status with Frontier to show UA that you're a regular flier and that you're moving your business over? If yes, then I think UA may do a status match.
If not, then you have earn your status the hard way. Also $3300 isn't a whole lot of money on several short notice tickets, some folks/companies drop that on one ticket.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:48 am Reason: edited for clarity and compliance with http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q66
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Skacorica
I belive the following is still current:

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
United

Typically offers challenges whereby you have to fly a certain number of miles in 90 days to maintain the status. Unlike AA, they offer the status up front, so you start off as an elite. They'll generally only offer challenges up to Premier Executive.

Email, fax, or mail a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Mileage Plus Service Center
Attention: Premier Status Match
P.O. Box 28870
Tucson, AZ 85726
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 605-341-6140
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html

As UAPremExecflyer points out above, if you can make a case that you are a frequent traveller and can prove it with proof of past and existing bookings, it should facilitate things.

Good Luck!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: United PE
UMP Status Match qualifications not explicitly clear

I was Aadvantage Platinum for several years and got fed up with the total lack of service that American was providing their elite status people. Wasn't worth the extra effort at all as far as I was concerned, because there was no real Aadvantage to being Platinum.So, I contacted united and they matched my Platinum status with a Premier Executive status on their UMP program. With that came a 3 month /15,000 challenege. I was under the impression that if you aquire 15,00 EQM over 3-month time you meet the challenge. well then I read their email and the wording is quite confusing. They say they Flights must be booked with united flight numbers, but doesn't specifically say that the 15,000 miles actually have to be flown on united planes. any ways just thought I would give anyone else a heads up on what they are clear about when you call them. Because of that misunderstanding I am going to miss the challenge by 4000 miles, most of which were on continental flights (in september)which now do count and have counted since the merger beginning of october..lol just my luck

They are going to allow me an extra week to complete the challenge due to the non-clarity. Which was very nice of them, and greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, seanpward!

Not only must the flights be flown on United metal, but the qualification is actually BiS miles, not EQM. So high-yield fares don't get you any closer, either.

I'm glad to hear they were somewhat flexible with you.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seanpward
...They are going to allow me an extra week to complete the challenge due to the non-clarity. Which was very nice of them, and greatly appreciated.
Glad things will work out
but what did you find as non-clarity?

isn't this a standard part of the challenge
*Qualifying flights: Purchased flights operated by United or United Express. Flight(s) must be a United flight number. Flights on other airlines do not qualify for this offer. Flights on United that have a partner's codeshare flight number do not qualify for this offer.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:30 pm

*A Status Match

Originally Posted by Wadjet
Has anyone succesfully status matched to MP from another *A carrier? I'm looking to move from DC to MP and just wondering whether they'll accept me, or whether its only from different alliances.
My sister and I were both status matched by UA from OZ. The process took 2 days and the forms were submitted via fax.

She went from OZ Gold to UA 2P, and I was matched from OZ Diamond to UA 1P.

I would give it a shot. Good luck!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:05 pm

Earning Lifetime Status from AA and then status match from UA?

A friend of mine forwarded a question to me.

He made a lot of purchases with his Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card due to business needs. His cumulative miles are just several thousands less than one million, but will surpass this benchmark by the end of this billing cycle. In fact, more than 99% of his miles are from his purchases as he seldom flies on AA (and its partners). Instead, he flies on UA domestic flights bi-monthly but cannot earn a 2P status from his flights.

He plans to ask for a status match from UA after earning the Lifetime AAdvantage Gold status from AA. Can UA distinguish how he earn miles in AA and decline his request?

(I have asked him why he doesn't pay for his business needs with a UA credit card. He told me that his stupid foreign company only recognizes purchases with a Citibank credit card, so he cannot earn UA miles with purchases.)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:20 pm

Don't think UA has any way of recognizing one's status path.

Keep in mind, that UA might offer a challenge - ie fly 15k miles in 3 months to retain status. If your friend can't make it to 25k in a whole year, slim chances he'll complete it - no reason to match then.
Also, credit card spending don't count fro UA million miles status, so he is still better of with getting AA miles that way.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan

snip

He made a lot of purchases with his Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card due to business needs. His cumulative miles are just several thousands less than one million, but will surpass this benchmark by the end of this billing cycle. In fact, more than 99% of his miles are from his purchases as he seldom flies on AA (and its partners). Instead, he flies on UA domestic flights bi-monthly but cannot earn a 2P status from his flights.

He plans to ask for a status match from UA after earning the Lifetime AAdvantage Gold status from AA. Can UA distinguish how he earn miles in AA and decline his request?

snip
Unless I am missing a well guarded secret at United, "lifetime miles" can only be earned from flying on United flights. Purchases from a credit card does not earn lifetime miles on United, to my knowledge.

United has an agreement with Chase Bank whereby a customer can earn, each year, up to 5,000 EQMs for credit card ticket purchases made on United.com. There is another 5,000 EQMs if purchases exceed a fixed amount during the year.

If you learn anything different from what I presented, please let us know.

-
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Unless I am missing a well guarded secret at United, "lifetime miles" can only be earned from flying on United flights. Purchases from a credit card does not earn lifetime miles on United, to my knowledge.

United has an agreement with Chase Bank whereby a customer can earn, each year, up to 5,000 EQMs for credit card ticket purchases made on United.com. There is another 5,000 EQMs if purchases exceed a fixed amount during the year.

If you learn anything different from what I presented, please let us know.

-
Perhaps you may have misunderstood the situation. My friend will qualify for Lifetime AAdvantage Gold Status soon due to his big amount of purchases. However, he has no status at all in UA. He just wants to know if he can ask for a status match from UA after qualifying for Lifetime AAdvantage Gold Status. As his lifetime status in AA is not earned from flights, he doesn't know if UA will know it from the submitted status match documents and decline his request.

Last edited by samwkchan; Nov 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm Reason: Sent before completed
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
Don't think UA has any way of recognizing one's status path.

Keep in mind, that UA might offer a challenge - ie fly 15k miles in 3 months to retain status. If your friend can't make it to 25k in a whole year, slim chances he'll complete it - no reason to match then.
Also, credit card spending don't count fro UA million miles status, so he is still better of with getting AA miles that way.
Thanks for your reply. It is nearly impossible for him to fly 15000 miles in 3 months AFAIK. Just forget it then.

Well, I should tell my friend that he is lucky to stay with his Citibank card then. His one million AA miles are earned in only 18 months. Perhaps he can reach the 2M benchmark for free in another 18 months! I am so jealous (as I am flying on AA soon).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by samwkchan
Perhaps you may misunderstood the situation. My friend will qualify for Lifetime AAdvantage Gold Status soon due to his big amount of purchases. However, he has no status at all in UA. He just wants to know if he can ask for a status match from UA after qualifying for Lifetime AAdvantage Gold Status. As his lifetime status in AA is not earned from flights, he doesn't know if UA will know it from the submitted status match documents and decline his request.
One of the things they have often requested is a flight summary from the past 12 months. They also do not offer status matches outright- you must fly 15,000 BIS miles or 20 segments to maintain the status.
Therefore, if he has relied on a big amount of CC purchases to attain status, I do not see him getting status matched, nor flying enough to complete the challenge.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Match Good Through??

In March of 2010 I filled out a form to get Premier Executive Match with no requirements (some coporate thingy). I passed 50K miles or effectively earned Premier Executive status by July.

Does anybody know if this status is good only for CY2010? I hope it carries into CY2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.