Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking Maybe not totally relevant, but better than a new thread...

First off, let me say that the agent at the door of the C16 RCC was very friendly, certainly not my "friend."

So I am on my way out to switch clubs since I got bored and I am waiting for the elevator. As I wait I hear a guy talking to the agents at the "help desk" about the RCC survery. I decide to take a seat in the computer area to hear this, since I know it'll be interesting.

He is not dressed in a uniform or anything, but rather quite casually in jeans and a green button down shirt. I am not sure what his position is, but he had some interesting information. Maybe he was from WHQ, since he used the RCC after talking to them, and wasn't just "dropping by."

So anyway, he talked about how well Dulles scored on the surverys. He mentioned that there was only one category on the survery for "excellent," while there were a couple of neutral ones and two "bad ones," which he thought wasn't fair. He said that when UA processed these they just threw out all the neutral ones, leaving only excellent and very poor.

He explained that in things that can be controlled by the agents, Dulles scored an "EXCELLENT!" At the same time on things "outside their control," like decor and alcohol, they scored low. I immediately pulled up a few of the threads about the agents here to show him what some other people think, although I decided against it in the end.

So funny to sit here, especially because one can hear everything the agents are saying from the computer area.

Another interesting thing I heard, although I don't know who it was about, was how the "phone area" in a certain reservation read "Obnoxious to IFL agent" and "tried to visit two of the three Dulles RCC's.

That's all for now folks.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Last Sunday, I arrived on the SFO-IAD morning flight, connecting to LH F to FRA. I decided to stop by the RCC.

First, the matron kindly told me that I was eligible to use the UA IFL....which was a nice gesture. But then she told me that United preferred if I used to LH Lounge in B. (I had over 2 hours' before departure, so it was not as if she was concerned that I had a close connection). I'm not sure if she knew that the LH lounge was under construction and that LH uses VS Clubhouse for F pax.

I told her I wanted to go ahead and access the RCC; then I asked if I could get drink chits. She kindly told me that chits were only available to C pax accessing the RCC.....but I could go to the Lufthansa lounge, and she was sure they offered complimentary beverages.

Very friendly and outgoing, but filled with matronly wrong info!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Last Sunday, I arrived on the SFO-IAD morning flight, connecting to LH F to FRA. I decided to stop by the RCC.

First, the matron kindly told me that I was eligible to use the UA IFL....which was a nice gesture. But then she told me that United preferred if I used to LH Lounge in B. (I had over 2 hours' before departure, so it was not as if she was concerned that I had a close connection). I'm not sure if she knew that the LH lounge was under construction and that LH uses VS Clubhouse for F pax.

I told her I wanted to go ahead and access the RCC; then I asked if I could get drink chits. She kindly told me that chits were only available to C pax accessing the RCC.....but I could go to the Lufthansa lounge, and she was sure they offered complimentary beverages.

Very friendly and outgoing, but filled with matronly wrong info!
OK, yeah, you're technically correct. But she was probably pretty darn confused as to what you were doing. I'm sure if you insisted, you would have gotten them, no?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Honestly, more than anything, to me it seemed as if she wanted me to eat and drink at LH's expense in the LH lounge, not on the UA side.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Honestly, more than anything, to me it seemed as if she wanted me to eat and drink at LH's expense in the LH lounge, not on the UA side.
Very annoying...
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Is there anything to eat at UA lounge?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
She seemed perfectly nice. Other airline's lounge dragons tell you to use UA lounges most of the time, and aren't nearly as nice about it.

Also, I'm still very unsure that the RCC Admit profile implies that *Gs get drink chits when not traveling on UA.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stevenshev
She seemed perfectly nice. Other airline's lounge dragons tell you to use UA lounges most of the time, and aren't nearly as nice about it.

Also, I'm still very unsure that the RCC Admit profile implies that *Gs get drink chits when not traveling on UA.
I *kinda* agree. The spirit of the policy seems written for UA metal pax. By the letter of the law, he's entitled. However, I wouldn't argue it, given my own interpretation of the spirit. No disrespect to the OP, though.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I *kinda* agree. The spirit of the policy seems written for UA metal pax. By the letter of the law, he's entitled. However, I wouldn't argue it, given my own interpretation of the spirit. No disrespect to the OP, though.
Exactly. I'm as much a lawyer as the next guy (actually much, much more), but I agree with you 100%. That's why I think that FTers sometimes overdo the whole drink certificate issue, and will just end up getting UA to revise the profile eventually.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Airlines has to pay the other Star airlines when you use their lounges. I have heard figures of around $25-30 per visit. I would expect the a first class lounge would be more.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 10, 2007 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
The spirit of the policy seems written for UA metal pax.
For the drink chits, maybe. But as a same-day F pax, I am allowed to use any of the *A lounges, right?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was on a very tight connection last year from IAD-CDG in F. My plane landed one gate away from my connection, but at the other end from the IFL.

I went to the RCC across from my flight and she basically told me that I should go to the IFL. I told her it would take me probably 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back, and the flight left in 45 minutes. Then I had to ask for drink chits. She gave me one. I asked for another. She reluctanly gave me another. I informed her that after having these two drinks, I was going to come back to her and get more because as a F passenger, I would have been entitled to unlimited bevs at the IFL. She gave me a look. I did indeed go back and did get two more. I wasn't leaving without them.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I went to the RCC across from my flight and she basically told me that I should go to the IFL. I told her it would take me probably 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back, and the flight left in 45 minutes. Then I had to ask for drink chits. She gave me one. I asked for another. She reluctanly gave me another. I informed her that after having these two drinks, I was going to come back to her and get more because as a F passenger, I would have been entitled to unlimited bevs at the IFL. She gave me a look. I did indeed go back and did get two more. I wasn't leaving without them.
Did the matron write the Betty Ford 800 number on the 3rd cert?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by stevenshev
...I think that FTers sometimes overdo the whole drink certificate issue....

Ya think?

Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Did the matron write the Betty Ford 800 number on the 3rd cert?
Get help now (800) 434-7365

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.