Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Goody Two Shoes

Another thought I have is we shouldn't be such goody two shoe's to assume that Lucky won't drink. I have no idea if Lucky drinks or not. But it is funny how people all seem to be assuming that Lucky, god forbid, wouldn't have a drink because of age.

I know when I was 20 or so, in college, probably 90% of the 19-20 year olds did drink and a similar percentage had fake ids. I remember regretting a bit when I turned 21 because the game and the challenge of getting a drink was over, and it was no longer this sort of covert thing to be doing .

But for god sake let's not be so goody goody two shoes that we absolutely assume that a 19-20 year old wouldn't think of having a drink even in the RCC.

Did evrybody who keeps posting that surely Lucky would give the drink chits to his father never have a drink under age? Come on?

I remember in fact when I was about 17 or so I got a beer in the Eastern Ionesphere club. I just asked for a beer and nobody asked me any questions. They brought it over on a nice little coffee table with some quality bar snacks. I got the club passes through the offer with Onepass where you could get various certificates for a small fee. I guess it was kind of geeky being a 17 year old that I would no such clubs existed but I did . I still remember how that Eastern club felt really like a private club and like something special. I remember also they would order people lunches through some sort of catering arrangement if a guest wanted something to eat. I also left something in the club by accident and they mailed it to my house.

I also joined the Presidents Club before I was 21 adopting a sort of don't ask don't tell policy and never had any trouble. I believe the official rule is re Presidents Club that you must be 21.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
Can one get a Shirley Temple, a Roy Rogers, or another non alchoholic drink for free at the bar in an RCC, or do you need chits/cash?

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Also I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but when a minor is attempting to manipulate the system by acquiring alcoholic beverages (the only thing a chit can be used for BTW) wouldn't the person (RCC employee) be committing a crime? The law in VA states that you need to be 21 years of age to purchase and consume alcohol.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by nigam
Can one get a Shirley Temple, a Roy Rogers, or another non alchoholic drink for free at the bar in an RCC, or do you need chits/cash?
Free. Ha, I think lucky would be rolling in his bed in PVG if he thought you suggested he'd get a Shirley Temple at an RCC.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:51 pm
Suspended

ANA f is allowed into the virgin clubhouse in dulles.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
lucky--

Time to enjoy Shanghai instead of wasting youe energy on an internet forum board arguing with some odd people whom you would never meet in life, over some stinky 2 drink coupons that you won't even use.
Hehe, I've actually met a good number of people in this thread and don't consider them to be weird... if it wouldn't have been raining all day I wouldn't have been on.
Originally Posted by brahms77
Wow, what a lengthy discussion on such a small issue!

Lucky, it seems like you worked too hard for drink chits.
Again, not about the drink chits.
I am aware of the issues at IAD RCCs and poor customer service by the matrons and their attitude. Yes, lucky was treated bad, but as others have said it wasn't all the necessary for lucky to go out of the way to "correct" this behavior. Also, there is more valuable things to spend your time on then getting your drink chits. End of discussion.
More valuable things such as what? We had extra time, and I don't see why I couldn't go out of my way to correct a bad behavior.
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Source? Virginia has quite possibly the most severe laws in the nation when it comes to marketing alcohol to minors. Handing out free alcoholic drink chits to a minor is most likely marketing and/or aiding and abetting as BDLORD mentions above. Mostly the authorities who handle this work where most of the marketing to minors happens - on college campuses - and I suspect airline clubs and the free chits in the mail and those that can be purchased online have gone unnoticed because the number of minors who have access to these and the clubs to use them at is relatively small.
Call me naive, but I'm more of a "benefit-of-the-doubt" kinda guy. Would it be that hard to stop speculating and actually stating facts? If anyone has any facts about a law, please let us know. Otherwise, as BJ says, this is a complete red herring.

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
As others have said, this age thing is a complete red herring. If the agent wouldn't give chits b/c lucky was too young, she would have stated that as the reason (and not b/c lucky was flying NH). We have countless posts about members >21 years of age having problems getting chits. It's not reasonable to think that, in this one case, the agent chose not to give chits b/c of the OP's age (and then lied to him about the reason). Let's use some common sense, people.
EXACTLY!^ Would it have been that hard for the agent to actually ask me my age or for some ID? Why all these assumptions?!?!!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
We've heard the story from one side. We don't know from the agent why she didn't give certs. Maybe she didn't want to lose her driver's license, which IIRC, is one of the possible punishments in VA.

If someone wanted to try and prove a point about drink certs at the IAD RCC, a minor was the wrong person to do it. And people can repeat something all they like, but it doesn't make it true.
Absolutely a fair point, no doubt! I would love to hear her side as well.^
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's not simply a matter of trust. In a tense situation, we humans tend to experience things differently than a neutral party would. When it comes to the precise language used by the agent, and other details, the OP might be 100% correct, or might have simply gotten a few things wrong (but honestly).
Again, a very good point!

Originally Posted by dan1431
DISCLAIMER: I understand that age does not play a role in the rules governing drink chits. But, I have to wonder did Lucky's age play some role in this particular case of denial?

I was wondering, what if Lucky had made it clear that the drink chits were going to be used by his Father. Would that have made a difference?

Did Lucky's Father say anything? How did he perceive the situation? Was he as upset as Lucky?

Just some questions,
Dan
Again, I don't think the agent assumed I was under 21. If that were the case, asking for ID may have been a good idea. I have ALWAYS been offered drink chits at all other stations without asking, so I didn't clarify that. Lucky's dad didn't say much to the agent, but he perceived it the same way that I did. He was shocked.
Originally Posted by jetsetter
Another thought I have is we shouldn't be such goody two shoe's to assume that Lucky won't drink. I have no idea if Lucky drinks or not. But it is funny how people all seem to be assuming that Lucky, god forbid, wouldn't have a drink because of age.

I know when I was 20 or so, in college, probably 90% of the 19-20 year olds did drink and a similar percentage had fake ids. I remember regretting a bit when I turned 21 because the game and the challenge of getting a drink was over, and it was no longer this sort of covert thing to be doing .

But for god sake let's not be so goody goody two shoes that we absolutely assume that a 19-20 year old wouldn't think of having a drink even in the RCC.

Did evrybody who keeps posting that surely Lucky would give the drink chits to his father never have a drink under age? Come on?
Even if I wanted to, I couldn't! They still ID you at the bar, so I don't see how that matters!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by nigam
All Non Alcohlic beverages are free.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:17 pm

Lucky, do understand that I am not blaming you for correcting what went wrong. Kudos for your effort. You did just want needs to be done! It's just that I think there are bigger issues with other aspects of UA service and operations that are far more important than making sure drink chits are handed out. Of course, some of these "bigger" problems are even more difficult to correct. I also do understand that bigger problems start from smaller issues, but doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of ruining your trip (I am not saying that your trip was ruined in anyway because of this, but I know that some people can get overworked for a small problem). Nonetheless, there are better drinks on stock on board NH anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lucky, do understand that I am not blaming you for correcting what went wrong. Kudos for your effort. You did just want needs to be done! It's just that I think there are bigger issues with other aspects of UA service and operations that are far more important than making sure drink chits are handed out. Of course, some of these "bigger" problems are even more difficult to correct. I also do understand that bigger problems start from smaller issues, but doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of ruining your trip (I am not saying that your trip was ruined in anyway because of this, but I know that some people can get overworked for a small problem). Nonetheless, there are better drinks on stock on board NH anyway.
I totally agree there are bigger issues. Unfortunately, I don't see UA taking the initiative to change them though, and if they wanted to, I see no reason they couldn't change them all.

Trust me, after the fact I was not in a bad mood, and it didn't ruin my trip in any way. Actually, I was in a pretty good mood because of it, not because I "battled" the agent, but because I was happy to see some initiative taken by the Sup.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:29 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Do you only get drink chits when OUTBOUND on an int'l itinerary, or also inbound? When flying TPE-NRT-SFO-BOS, I always get denied drink chits at the SFO RCC.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Do you only get drink chits when OUTBOUND on an int'l itinerary, or also inbound? When flying TPE-NRT-SFO-BOS, I always get denied drink chits at the SFO RCC.
Only outbound.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I understand the views expressed about bigger fish to fry, etc. However, it is hard for some of the posters to comprehend the level of frustrations involved dealing with RCC @IAD without actually being there on a frequent basis.

I have done over 100K+ eqms out of IAD in this year almost exclusively on international itineraries, and have been getting inconsistent services each time I enter RCC at C7, C17 and D8, and have written numerous letters and post FT threads here about the RCC admittance and drink chit problems.. see post #135 of this thread.

I always let things go because I am not a confrontational type of person and don't believe in arguing in public. But, things have not changed despite efforts via writing and calling customer services. I can tolerate bad food or inadequate IFE, etc, because there is no rule out there says an airlines have to satisfy my hunger and entertainment needs. However, I still get denied admission into RCC one out of three times when traveling same day international Y itinerary, when it is clearly stated on the *A and United website and other marketing materials that *G/1K/1P can access RCC when traveling on a same day *A international itinerary. Why I have never had this problem at other RCCs and *A lounges worldwide.

On the entitlement of drink chits, some argued it is not a "published" benefits, so we should not be too harsh on UA for enforcing it. I disagree. In a customer service oriented industy, consistency in service offerings is extremely important. If I can get 2 chits at ORD, SFO, and LAX, then why not at IAD. If I go eat at a chain restaurant with a standardized memu nationwide, I would expect the same type of food being served. (E.g. McD).

I have defended UA on other issues, but this one I find it hard to let it go @IAD only not UA systemwide.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I totally agree there are bigger issues. Unfortunately, I don't see UA taking the initiative to change them though, and if they wanted to, I see no reason they couldn't change them all.

Trust me, after the fact I was not in a bad mood, and it didn't ruin my trip in any way. Actually, I was in a pretty good mood because of it, not because I "battled" the agent, but because I was happy to see some initiative taken by the Sup.
But did you have a cheeseburger?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDLORD
But did you have a cheeseburger?
On NH? Actually, I always remembered you posting about it, but was surprised to see that the burger and pizza snack was only ex-NRT? I had a foccacio sandwich midflight instead.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
On NH? Actually, I always remembered you posting about it, but was surprised to see that the burger and pizza snack was only ex-NRT? I had a foccacio sandwich midflight instead.
Hmmm, I've had it both directions. maybe only JFK-NRT
Ice cream?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I
On the entitlement of drink chits, some argued it is not a "published" benefits, so we should not be too harsh on UA for enforcing it. I disagree. In a customer service oriented industy, consistency in service offerings is extremely important. If I can get 2 chits at ORD, SFO, and LAX, then why not at IAD. If I go eat at a chain restaurant with a standardized memu nationwide, I would expect the same type of food being served. (E.g. McD).
I think UA flyer is completely right. Like any other franchise consistency is key to retain and attract new customers.

When I go to McD, I expect my BigMac to be exactly that...a BigMac. If it turns out to be a Whopper, then why did I go to McD.

Sorry, I am digressing...this food analogy got me hungry.

UA's problems are manifesting in IAD. IAD is considered a hub and if your hub employees don't know how to churn out a consistent product...shame on them and more training is needed.

I see UA filing for bankruptcy in a few more years...especially when the price wars hit with Virgin and SWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.