Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Interesting. For someone who has the most posts in this thread (actually, almost double as many as anyone else), it seems otherwise...
I don't care about the reasons that compelled you to do what you did.

I am interested in bringing a different point of view to the table. There's a difference.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
So it has come to this...

Customers going into The Red Carpet Club to "do battle" with United's Customer Service Representatives.

What a sad day for commercial aviation.

Last edited by John26; Jul 9, 2007 at 8:15 pm
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nnn
Why not ask him?
What a gread idea instead of putting words in my mouth!^

Very simple: I read here over and over about how bad the IAD matrons are. UA is consistently ranking last in customer service. For the most part UA employees are great, but there is a small minority that brings them down. Therefore, since we had spare time, I wanted to see if the rules were being followed. I would have been happiest if the agent would just have given the chits and smiled, and not made it such a mess.

When I started I figured that the worst that would happen was that she would look at the rules and then hand them over. As soon as she used the "Do you want to get technical?" line and the "I will call security" line it became a whole different issue.

So basically, at the beginning it wasn't a big thing. But it became personal against me as soon as she was threatening to call security on me for her trying to enforce the rules that they set.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I don't care about the reasons that compelled you to do what you did.

I am interested in bringing a different point of view to the table. There's a difference.
And don't you think in order to bring a different point of view to the table you have to understand what compelled me to do it? Isn't that part of forming a balanced response?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
lucky.. how's breakfast in Shanghai?

I'll be there Saturday.
And I leave Friday... breakfast was good, thanks. Now, if you all don't mind, I would actually like to see the city!
Originally Posted by John26
Customers going into United's Red Carpet Club to "do battle."
Eh, again, I didn't go into the RCC with the intent of a battle... it turned into one, though.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Lucky's dad couldn't use a computer if his life depended on it. He is at least the same age as the agent in the RCC, so I don't buy into this whole "a teenager walked into the RCC and was demanding" argument. The argument was just as much for me as it was for him.
Thanks for clarifying. As I read the back and forth here, I imagine the two of you standing at the counter and this conversation going on. Very interesting. Would I be correct in assuming you are far more knowledgeable about travel than dad as well?

BTW, I heard some very favorable comments about you over dinner a couple of nights ago here in Wellington ^

Pat
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mikew99
I am surprised that a few people are still distracted by the strawman argument that this is about drink chits.
Exactly ....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And don't you think in order to bring a different point of view to the table you have to understand what compelled me to do it? Isn't that part of forming a balanced response?
Not really. You did the deed, and I'm reacting to what you did.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camachinist
Thanks for clarifying. As I read the back and forth here, I imagine the two of you standing at the counter and this conversation going on. Very interesting. Would I be correct in assuming you are far more knowledgeable about travel than dad as well?

BTW, I heard some very favorable comments about you over dinner a couple of nights ago here in Wellington ^

Pat
Well, I know more of the technical rules. My dad has flown a lot more than I have over the years, but doesn't really take interest in the technical aspects of it. Yes, we were both standing there, and I did most of the talking as he stood there in disbelief. Keep in mind the dialogue itself was quite limited, and it was mostly just us standing there in disbelief.

jswong is a nice guy, isn't he?
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Not really. You did the deed, and I'm reacting to what you did.
Oh, right. You say you wonder why the OP felt compelled to act the way he did, and then said you don't care... my bad.

Look folks, I am not afraid to admit I could have handled it better. Of course I could have. The thing is, in a "live" situation, you never know what to expect, so it's hard to come out saying you acted to the "T" as you would have liked to. At the same time, this post was shortly after it actually happened, so the title may not totally be appropriate. Nonetheless I stand by what I did and ultimately how I did it.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This discussion of lucky's age is, once again, not appropriate.
^^
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This discussion of lucky's age is, once again, not appropriate.
Gracias!^

I would like to ask folks this: Is there really a rule against giving underage people drink chits? I mean both a state law or a rule in the UA profile? If not, can people PLEASE stop using this for no reason whatsoever.

I was thinking about this as I was in the shower (yeah, I know), and I swear I am done posting for a while, but 1K's get TEN drink chits for onboard in their 1K kit each year, regardless of age. Furthermore, you can purchase drink chits at theunitedshop.com, without them asking your age. Therefore, unless anyone has evidence otherwise, stop using the argument please and saying I got lucky that I didn't get in trouble.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikew99
I am surprised that a few people are still distracted by the strawman argument that this is about drink chits. That's like saying Rosa Parks made a big deal about a seat on a public bus!
I agree ... Lucky really is just like Rosa Parks.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Lucky go enjoy the rest of your trip in China. You are one of the most helpful FT posters and sorry to see some of the negative posts. The majority of people agree with you. I think this post will have a postive impact and I bet things will change at IAD.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:51 pm

So basically, at the beginning it wasn't a big thing. But it became personal against me as soon as she was threatening to call security on me for her trying to enforce the rules that they set.
Lucky, how dare you for being right.

Funny thing is that next Sunday, Mrs C-5Crewdog and I are flying through IAD on my way to FCO in C on award tickets. I was already planning on bringing a copy of the RCC/Admit rules with me just in case I had any issues. I had no idea you'd beat me to it!

Unfortunately to some, its not what you say, but what they hear that matters. After being corrected, the agent in the RCC should have been saying... "My apologies, Mr. Coins, I must have been mistaken. Here are your complimentary drink chits. Is there anything else I can be of assistance with?" ^

But as they say... Rome wasn't built in a day...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!!
Gracias!^

I would like to ask folks this: Is there really a rule against giving underage people drink chits? I mean both a state law or a rule in the UA profile? If not, can people PLEASE stop using this for no reason whatsoever.

I was thinking about this as I was in the shower (yeah, I know), and I swear I am done posting for a while, but 1K's get TEN drink chits for onboard in their 1K kit each year, regardless of age. Furthermore, you can purchase drink chits at theunitedshop.com, without them asking your age. Therefore, unless anyone has evidence otherwise, stop using the argument please and saying I got lucky that I didn't get in trouble.
^^^^^
THE AGE THING IS A RED HERRING CRAPPOLA!!!!!!!!

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 9, 2007 at 11:46 pm Reason: normal font size and color please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.