Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by te36
I received a nothingburger when crossing the 1M threshold. But i have always only been gold/platinum/1k through the years (never GS) and all my miles are economy butt in seat paid, and most of the time i was even spending less than the USD$ status requirement (overseas home). So i figure i am marked in UAs system as el-cheapo 1MM. I think i am getting a pretty sweet deal out of this arrangement anyhow. I especially like the non-UA lounges overseas, and AFAIK, every time i visit one, UA has to pay. I don't think i will get to 2MM, the first one took me hmm: 15 years, but i'll continue to prefer united metal due to the ability to get exit row seating for free and just being used to it.
I believe the airline you're flying pays.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Pursuant to recently crossing the 1MM threshold (see post #2484 in this thread), my Million Miler package arrived a couple of days ago. It contained everything I expected ... well, maybe I didn't expect another set of coasters and ten drink chits.

But what I really didn't expect was receiving a yellow handle wrap for gate checking a bag. (It came in a separate package from UA.) I didn't even have to ask. ^
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

So close I can almost taste 2MM

Will close out first half of 2019 at 1.975MM. SFOHKG RT in July, SFOPVG RT in August should do it.

YTD BIS 90K PQD 33K, on track for GS2021 renewal…
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
made it

Originally Posted by nonlin
Will get 1M on my return flight from China on 6/8. Called United to have them change the seat assignment of my son and told them about this flight.

I also told them about my upcoming accomplishment and hoped they'd give me a copy of the manifest, etc.

I was talking to a 1K agent who seemed clueless. She said she could send me my itinerary by email I said I can access this online but asked her to make a note of what was coming up. We'll see if anything happens.

My wife, who'll soon share the status that I have, just got a card acknowledging her "Silver Status" on our flight home today. See if I get at least that for million mile status on my flight home from Beijing on 6/8
Made a million finally on my trip PEK to ORD. The FAs were very nice and announced my accomplishment. Didn't get anything like a manifest, etc. That's OK. Making a million is what counts!

Made million on Alaska/Canadian border
UA_Flyer, wxguy, iapetus and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:58 am

Million miler lifetime status match

Has anyone been successful in getting an airline to provide a lifetime status match for someone with a million miles in another airline’s program?I just completed a Delta status match challenge that gets me Delta Silver status for the the rest of the year, but unless I travel a lot on Delta this year, which isn’t likely, I will lose that status next year. Delta’s current status match program rules state that one cannot apply for another challenge for 3 years so if I book any flights on Delta in 2020 or 2021, I fly with no status. The lack of status on an airline does incent me to not book with them so there is some benefit to an airline being willing to match my lifetime status. Plus, it really doesn’t cost them anything to do so.

Anyone had any success getting any airline to match a status level for life?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Simple answer ........ No......and no way.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
It is one thing to do a status match for this year's status -- because if you fly UA for all of this year, you won't be accumulating status on DL -- so are more likely to fly UA next year than DL. But lifetime status is different, if you have lifetime status on DL, then receiving a status match on UA and flying them this year will not make you more likely to fly UA next year -- because your DL lifetime status will remain intact and you can get benefits on DL flying them next year.

So unless there is some way for UA to strip you of your lifetime status on DL, there is no way they would offer you lifetime status on UA.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:11 am

i tend to view this differently. Next year, assuming I don’t fly enough this year on DL to “earn” 2020 status, I am disincented to fly them. If I have a choice of flying UA where I get the benefit of my lifetime status, or DL, if the costs/timing are similar, I am always going to choose UA. In my opinion, the objective of the yearly status match challenge is to eliminate the advantage UA currently has over DL for someone in my situation. As such, DL is potentially losing revenue at the cost, essentially $0 to DL, of matching my lifetime status.

This isn’t a hypothetical as I will go out of my way fly an airline that I have status on verses another carrier where I don’t due to the ability to choose preferred seats, board early, and possibly get upgraded.. I just don’t see the downside to an airline matching my lifetime status level on UA given the cost of the match is essential zero to them.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by thompsam
i tend to view this differently. Next year, assuming I don’t fly enough this year on DL to “earn” 2020 status, I am disincented to fly them. If I have a choice of flying UA where I get the benefit of my lifetime status, or DL, if the costs/timing are similar, I am always going to choose UA. In my opinion, the objective of the yearly status match challenge is to eliminate the advantage UA currently has over DL for someone in my situation. As such, DL is potentially losing revenue at the cost, essentially $0 to DL, of matching my lifetime status.

This isn’t a hypothetical as I will go out of my way fly an airline that I have status on verses another carrier where I don’t due to the ability to choose preferred seats, board early, and possibly get upgraded.. I just don’t see the downside to an airline matching my lifetime status level on UA given the cost of the match is essential zero to them.
Uh, no. This reasoning is completely faulty. There is an associated cost to UA (and DL and AA) for the Million Miler Program. The way that UA and the other airlines manage its costs is by covering the program benefits through some amortized assessment of what the value of flying at least 1MM BIS (or more such as @ua1flyer for those who have earned and flown far further). You haven't paid into UA's program yet. You've paid into DLs.

David
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Hit the 1MM mark on SFO-NRT yesterday. Near landing, the Purser stopped by to greet me and thank me with a hand-written card from the crew and a bottle of champagne. He was sincere in his appreciation of the effort/loyalty it took to hit the mark, and it was well received. They also announced the milestone during final announcements (I could do without that part, but it was still nice acknowledgement.)

(Due to seat assignments mysteriously disappearing (I had booked into Premium Plus for the first time), I had previously called to address that issue and alerted them to the significance of the flight - the phone agent seemed to appreciate that significance and spent time making notes in the system about it.)

I don't know if 2MM is in the cards ... PP over Gold vs Gold over nil ... I don't feel the same compulsion to hit the next mark (if 3MM/1k were in sight, that would be different). But I appreciate the Million Miler program and with 1k nearly reached this year ($1k away in PQD after June travel), I look forward to my wife getting some good benefits from all of her support of my travels over the years.

Thanks United, for the program and the recognition.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by strayatty
Hit the 1MM mark on SFO-NRT yesterday. Near landing, the Purser stopped by to greet me and thank me with a hand-written card from the crew and a bottle of champagne.
A bottle of champagne?!? ^ Makes me wish I had had reason to call customer service prior to my 1MM flight!
Flying Machine and strayatty like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
A bottle of champagne?!? ^ Makes me wish I had had reason to call customer service prior to my 1MM flight!
Yeah, I know... I got my usual "welcome" and certainly no bottle of champagne! LOL, I have joked about this before that I was expecting the pilot (Sam Elliot) to come back and chat with me like "Up In The Air" .

Last edited by nomad420; Jun 14, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Crossed 2M on a recent SFO-CLE flight. Was an amazing experience. I stopped by the cockpit to ask the captain if it would be possible to let me know where we were when we had flown 756 miles. He stopped me and said, are you Mr. SFO_Chad in 4F. (wearing my typical hoodie and jeans)? I said told him I was. He and the first officer invited me into the cockpit and I got my picture taken with both of them while sitting in the other pilots seat. We chatted for a bit and the captain said the chief pilot at SFO had told them I was on the flight and to stop by my seat and say hi. I was pretty shocked and impressed.

Fast forward...captain mentions the milestone during his welcome remarks. And then as we were crossing 756 miles into the flight, he came out of the cockpit, shook my hand, told me where we were and what time it was (also written down on his business card) and gave me a copy of the flight plan.

Before landing, the flight attendant brought me a bottle of wine, compliments of the flight crew. It was way over the top in such a nice way.

Took me 17 years to hit 2,000,000...not sure I have another million in me...but we shall see. In my early 40's, so who knows?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
Crossed 2M on a recent SFO-CLE flight. Was an amazing experience. I stopped by the cockpit to ask the captain if it would be possible to let me know where we were when we had flown 756 miles. He stopped me and said, are you Mr. SFO_Chad in 4F. (wearing my typical hoodie and jeans)? I said told him I was. He and the first officer invited me into the cockpit and I got my picture taken with both of them while sitting in the other pilots seat. We chatted for a bit and the captain said the chief pilot at SFO had told them I was on the flight and to stop by my seat and say hi. I was pretty shocked and impressed.

Fast forward...captain mentions the milestone during his welcome remarks. And then as we were crossing 756 miles into the flight, he came out of the cockpit, shook my hand, told me where we were and what time it was (also written down on his business card) and gave me a copy of the flight plan.

Before landing, the flight attendant brought me a bottle of wine, compliments of the flight crew. It was way over the top in such a nice way.

Took me 17 years to hit 2,000,000...not sure I have another million in me...but we shall see. In my early 40's, so who knows?

A toast to you! Hoping to fly a few more millions myself as I definitely feel that I have it in me.
SFO_Chad likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, it finally happened and I crossed 1MM this morning CMH-DEN. The FA serving F (CPUed!) congratulated me when taking PDBs and asked if I wanted anything special. I politely declined as I wanted to sleep. Later she stopped by and gave me a bag of gummy bears, M&Ms and dried fruit. It was a nice touch and I thanked her as I exited for recognizing my milestone. Not sure I will hit 2MM, but 8 years ago I wouldn't have imagined hitting 1MM. Never say never I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.