Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Link worked and luggage selected. Now onto 3 MM.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:43 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Has anyone made Lifetime GS (4MM) without ever having made GS on a yearly basis. I suspect it happens, but might be a rare occurrence?
I came close, I had only qualified once (I think it was 2005) before I hit 4MM about 2.5 years ago. I’ve spent a lot of time in coach on long haul flights, it builds character.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by saccoNY
My disappointment was “pre” diffused by reading here and expecting nothing.
Yeah, I'm expecting exactly zilch in the way of fanfare from the airline. But I'll be excited for myself (and for mrs. iapetus and her "free" bump up to 1K).

Oh well. On to the next million.
OTOH, I'm a little concerned that immediately following the "euphoria" I'll just start thinking about the next million that I'll have to fly to get to 2MM.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:32 pm

As much as it pains me to write this post UA did it right

I had 3 FAs congratulate me on my million milestone. One said I flew more than her, another asked where I flew to acquire all the miles. All seemed very sincere in their happiness. They have iPad type devices that tell them this info and one fa that sat in front of me ( yes exit seat and no upgrade) said there was one other one million miler on flight. Even though, it felt as though this is quite the accomplishment for any one airline. They all offered free drinks food throughout. Then, on my way back, after I had achieved the milestone, I had an fa run up to me (I did get upgraded on way back) he tapped me on shoulder and said congrats! Then scurried away quickly. Overall I’m very pleased with UA regarding one million Mille benefit and I am one that does not appreciate attention.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

I came close, I had only qualified once (I think it was 2005) before I hit 4MM about 2.5 years ago. I’ve spent a lot of time in coach on long haul flights, it builds character.
Me too John. I'm at 3.86M lifetime miles, and was planning to finish it off this year to get lifetime GS - after 30 years of 1K I've never once been GS. I only flew 80K miles on UA in '18, so it may be another year or two before finding out how GS fly. With my luck, I'll qualify via 4M miles next year, but UA will take the benefit away :-)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM

Crossed 1MM today. Well I’m not surprised to say NADA. Zilch. Bupkus. Here’s a good tidbit to make y’all 🤨. I was on my first segment FLL-EWR and mentioned to the flight attendant I had 999,100 miles. ‘Guess what this makes?’ I say. He says ‘what?’ Oh yeah a million miles. We got a note about you, congratulations” said half jokingly with a pat on the shoulder. Then proceeds to say ‘I wonder if I could figure how many miles I’ve flown”.

Glad he got “the note” and then made it about him. Thought that was cute.

The nice FA on the EWR-FRA on the next flight shook my hand and said thank you —but only after My wife bragged to him about my million mile achievement or he never would know. LOL.

My disappointment was “pre” diffused by reading here and expecting nothing. So I just had fun w it. Me and Mrs Sacco had a fun time and now we begin our endulgent three days in Paris with no kids “business trip”

Oh well. On to the next million.
minor update to the story (for those who give a darn, LOL) FA in Polaris CDG-EWR came to me and my wife and said “i think one of you just passed a million. Congrats”

there were 17 GS in Polaris that day she told me and additionally 25 1Ks on board. Wow!

Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
I'll probably never make it (TATL flights just don't generate that much) but finishing 2018 at 228,555 miles.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by deek
Me too John. I'm at 3.86M lifetime miles, and was planning to finish it off this year to get lifetime GS - after 30 years of 1K I've never once been GS. I only flew 80K miles on UA in '18, so it may be another year or two before finding out how GS fly. With my luck, I'll qualify via 4M miles next year, but UA will take the benefit away :-)
I feel your pain and will assure you the difference between 1K and GS is real, although the pre-boarding of 1K’s was a big improvement for that status. I tell people that I now feel like I’m being treated like a customer :-) The upgrade hit rate is the biggest benefit for those of us buying coach tickets. The BOS, my home base, GS team is really good. Good luck on getting to 4MM soon.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Passed 4million on SEA- IAD this week
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
3MM

At 2,990,668 miles and heading to Singapore this week.
Will pass to LT 1K on flight.
Wife excited about that.
Xyzzy, UA_Flyer, ua1flyer and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Was on 2015 EWR-ORD yesterday when the Captain announced a 3MM passing and made a couple of flat jokes. I liked it though. Felt sort of happy for the guy crossing that line, don't ask why...
Xyzzy and Flying Machine like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Feeling The Love -Milestone Recognition

I have on a couple of occasions made a critical comment in threads where fellow FTers have expressed disappointment when they passed a flight (million mile) milestone and received no recognition during the trip.Given I have relocated continents 4 times in my work life, I have been a participant in 5 FF programs and by virtue of my role had a minimum of 1k level status and 3 versions of GS. In those programs day to day recognition at a subtle level was far more consistent than anything I have experienced at UA.
In passing UA milestones prior to the most recent, the first one I heard nothing about, the second when I was 400k past it, the third was a little more organized in terms of communication timing.In all cases there was nothing during travel.Based on other experiences I found this a little surprising but not a great disappointment either. Mile stone 4 was somewhat different. I thought I would share it and at the same time hopefully put to bed some questions/ myths around traveler recognition when passing a milestone.
- 10ish days ago I passed 4MM on UA
- In the 2 weeks prior to passing 4M I received no less than 4 you are almost there Oscar notes, I flew quite a lot in that period so I assume the computer spits them out at T minus numbers
- The week I a passed the milestone my schedule was bouncing around a little but I knew with some basic math that I would cross it within a 2/3 day period, this math proved erroneous as I had omitted to consider a non registered flight
- During a trans con flight after PDP and just before take off the FA came up and crouched by my seat I assumed to quietly take lunch orders which happens frequently-due to the math error she, without making a big deal of it thanked me for passing 4 M on the flight , she asked if there was anything special I needed,(very nice touch) there wasn't, I was driving where I was going so no booze and that was that.- Point here is that the UA system seems very capable of tracking you real time and does not rely on flights posting to know your exact miles
- Second segment 20 min rush to board, 40 min flight - -during the flight FA thanked me for being a 4m flyer- I assumed it might be something to do with being a single reservation
- 3 days later I am seated in 3c on a packed Friday night flight out of EWR, milestone now a memory - Small delay , captain apologizes , gives flight details and then makes an announcement congratulating a passenger for 4MM- what coincidence, same week as me -then calls me out by name- I freeze , a stir in the cabin but I have my headset so I just look a head. Plan working well until FA comes out with a bottle of wine and card signed by Captain ,FO date and route - a few looks and nods around the cabin -then 90mins of questioning from my in first, enthusiastic Plat seat mate on my travel patterns ,at the end of the flight captain pops out on de plane and shakes my hand-Not sure about this ,may be at some point it was noted on my record before I changed my schedule a couple of times or if UA leaves it in system for a while longer to increase the probability of someone saying something.I do think that UA leadership believes that this is important despite what people think otherwise
-
Next flight the following Monday, FC cabin attendant mid flight congratulates me on becoming a 4 M miler - once service is over an FA huddle ensues after which one FA from the back comes next to me and asks how I possibly can fly 4M in a year !- After a brief conversation it is completely transparent this team of FA's have no idea about the MM program ,she tells me she see the MM thing sometimes on her device but does not usually do anything, sometimes some of her colleagues do- I guess that this is a training and a setting expectation issue for those that do not acknowledge milestones. With the most recent technology , anyone with a handheld has your info, I know because on 3 occasions they showed it to me
-
Since this flight I have taken 3 consecutive UX flights and have been congratulated in each , once with a level of enthusiasm that I was thinking a might get a hug- I am now fearing I am stuck in a system of perpetual love - Hopefully a week off the trail will result in a return to normality.If not I will call someone.
Long post, but I hope some info that might be useful.
Have a great non flying holiday, and those of you addicts who need to, safe , delay free travels
Good wishes for 2019
Cheers
WK
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: UA-GS 4M, Hilton Diamond , Marriott Platinum
What happens at 5MM?

Sitting pretty at approx 4.1MM lifetime, and I am wondering if it still makes sense to favor UA when I have a choice. I must admit I have been flying a bit more of LH,LX,NH recently when I travel internationally.
Does anything happen at 5MM? Does UA take into account YTD UA BIS at all when they need to go the extra mile?

I love how UA goes out of their way to make sure I get to my destination in case of disruptions, is willing to be somewhat accommodating when something odd happens to my itinerary, but must also admit that when I am in the back of the bus with no hope of making it to the front, I usually prefer LH or LX, or even the apparently tighter seats from NH. I don’t think I want to lose the white glove service for domestic flights by looking at others, but for international within *Alliance, I am not sure.

Any experiences out there from folks that have been spending more time in the air than I have?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by totorn
Sitting pretty at approx 4.1MM lifetime, and I am wondering if it still makes sense to favor UA when I have a choice. I must admit I have been flying a bit more of LH,LX,NH recently when I travel internationally.
Does anything happen at 5MM? Does UA take into account YTD UA BIS at all when they need to go the extra mile?

I love how UA goes out of their way to make sure I get to my destination in case of disruptions, is willing to be somewhat accommodating when something odd happens to my itinerary, but must also admit that when I am in the back of the bus with no hope of making it to the front, I usually prefer LH or LX, or even the apparently tighter seats from NH. I don’t think I want to lose the white glove service for domestic flights by looking at others, but for international within *Alliance, I am not sure.

Any experiences out there from folks that have been spending more time in the air than I have?
I’m in a similar situation with slightly more than 4.6M miles, I haven’t really changed anything during my flying career as schedule is always my priority. I’ve been loyal to United as long as their schedule fit my needs, I’ve never really gone out of my way to fly on any airline because of points or mileage. At the same time I’m not sure there’s anything more that United can offer. I was given lifetime Red Carpet Club membership at 2MM and with GS also lifetime I’m not aware of additional perks that might be offered. I do expect I’ll hit 5M miles sometime in 2020 but I plan on retiring in early 2021 so my travel will drop dramatically at that point.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am averaging 250K BIS on UA for the past 12 years and about 100K on other *A in the past 8 years.

Being a 4 MM flyer on UA has not really changed my flying habit, and like John above, I will hit 5 million in the next 2 or 3 years and then slow down a bit.

Not sure switch flying to other airlines/alliance makes any sense. Many on FT switch once hitting certain milestones, but I just cannot see the logic to restart from beginning. UA and *A pretty much take care of all the places. Yes, certain locations may require an additional stop, but that is infrequent.

UA has its faults but grass is not greener on the other side. I did try AA and DL and secured their top status previously, but they are about the same with less generious upgrade and awards inventories.

If I never had status on UA, I’d just pick the airlines that offer the best amenity, services and direct flights. I mostly travel on international long haul, so my perspective may be different from those who fly mostly on domestic routes.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.