Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Did the horses get EQM -- Equine Qualifying Miles?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
Did the horses get EQM -- Equine Qualifying Miles?
I am still amazed that you can FedEx a horse
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by abefroman329
I'm also still waiting for a flight where the captain is actually standing there to greet pax as they're getting off the plane so I can thank him for turning on Channel 9...
It's easy on 319s and 320s because the exit door is up in the front.
Not so easy on other aircraft because the cockpit is distant from the exit door.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by grayland
At least they didn't ship it with UPS... gives a whole new meaning to "Go Brown."
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:37 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Flying last night ORD-LAX had a few good ones...

Can't remember which center it was, probably ABQ - a pilot was a little frustrated a getting restrictions placed on them, probably as part of the PHX entrance pattern.

Pilot. Center, can you explain the reason for the restrictions on [Flight#]?

Center. Uh, perhaps flow control for the fifth busiest airport in the US?

after a while, the controller decides to dig a bit further...

Center. [Flight#] if you are suggesting I intentionally placed you behind Southwest and then restricted you, you are wrong (and then procedes to explain how another controller didn't do a proper hand off and how they had to integrate control of a few flights, yada, yada). At least a minute of diatribe.

Pilot. -[After a min or so of silence] Guess it's all a big conspiracy, huh?

No answer from the Center.

I believe we were still in the same center when there was an open mike broadcast for also about a minute. Sounded like in-cabin chatter between the pilot and co-pilot of some flight. It sounded like the controller can broadcast a "warning" tone - kind of like pushing a button on a touch tone phone in mid-conversation, so you could hear him sending out tones and then "stuck mike!" during the conversation.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Exactly what my wife said when she picked me up. I wondered if they were racing the following day (a saturday) or had to rest.

Based on aerokitty's concerns I edited the post to make it more generic and protect the innocent....
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Question Question on Time used by ATC

Last week around 8:40am pacific time my UA flight was under tower control getting ready for departure from SAN when an AA plane in front of us was moved to a holding area due to a ground stop at wherever it was heading (San Jose, I think). The AA pilot was told the ground stop was in place until 16:30. And the pilot responded something about it only being 50 minutes, which would imply until 9:30am pacific. What time does the 16:30 refer to? Was it GMT? I thought GMT was 8 hours ahead of Pacific, so that would have been 17:30.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Yes, GMT aka (UTC) is used by ATC. It's 7 hours ahead of PDT.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Not to take this too far off topic, but they also shipped pandas!

http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/pandas_index.cgi
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by drobbva
What time does the 16:30 refer to? Was it GMT? I thought GMT was 8 hours ahead of Pacific, so that would have been 17:30.
It is UTC (aka GMT). However, the US is currently on DST, and PDT is UTC-7 (PST is UTC-8). GMT doesn't observe "summer time" or the like...
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
An interesting night last night...

So the furture Mrs. PappaShacks and I were flying DFW-DEN on UA457.

Because of weather last night over Texas Panhandle/Northern NM/SE Colorado, ATC (ABQ Center) was funneling everyone through a 20 mile wide hole in the weather.

Each time someone would check-in with the center the typical exchange would start:

[Airline Flt#] to Center
Center to [Airline Flt#] - go ahead
[Airline Flt#] to Center - there appears to be a hole in the weather about 80 miles ahead at 1:00. Anyone going through that?
Center to [Airline Flt#] - oh, only the last 150 planes or so.

One pilot (Cactus something) got in quite the testy exchange trying to fly a straight route through the weather. At one point the center was ordering him to deviate through the hole.

However, the best quote of the night came from Denver Center.

Center, United 457 with you out of Flight level 340 for 300 with continuous light chop.
United 457, Denver Center, descend and maintain flight level 270.
Center, United 457 descending to 270. Can we expect that chop to continue on [Denver] approach?
United 457, Denver Center, only until about March or April
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
This happens to be a cabin preparation announcement and is required by the FAA to be read verbatim. However, I do agree that extraneous ad-libbing is usually far less valuable.
I don't know...a flight I took many years ago--one of the flights on the one and only trip on WN I've ever taken (GEG-SEA, IIRC)--remains one of the most memorable for me. The FA's spiel was so funny and well-done, I actually listened to it. ("...Smoking in the lavatories is a federal offense, so if you need to smoke, please feel free to step outside the door. A fully-furnished room with free food, drink, daily activities and entertainment will be provided at the government's expense if you tamper with the lavatory smoke detectors...")

But if that came at a critical juncture in ATC chatter on Channel 9, I'd be miffed, too...

(Having taken about 50 hours of flying lessons and hopefully will have the chance to complete at least a private license in the next year, I always find Channel 9 to be fascinating to listen to and good practice for my own radio dialogue. I always thank UA pilots as I'm deplaning for providing Channel 9. Honestly, Channel 9 is one of the reasons I pick UA over other airlines if price and schedules are even in the same ballpark--while UA's customer service may be debatable, the people flying the planes still exhibit a love of aviation that, even with UA's troubles, makes me consider looking at them for a future career...)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: UA MM
A lot better than sending a horse this way.

Horses are actually really high yield, from what I've heard -- they do dedicated charter flights carrying some very high-value ones.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Last Saturday, I think it was a controller with Denver Center that was telling everyone as they entered the sector to "watch out for a set of large, highly reflective red and white balloons," and gave estimated altitde and position readings.

No one radioed that they saw the balloons, though everyone did say they'd be on the lookout for them.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Last Saturday, I think it was a controller with Denver Center that was telling everyone as they entered the sector to "watch out for a set of large, highly reflective red and white balloons," and gave estimated altitde and position readings.
I always wondered what happened to those mylar "Happy Birthday" balloons I saw some kid let go of the other day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.