Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by redburgundy

No, an ELT is a device that when it is hit hard enough, like in a crash, emits a signal on freq 121.5. It is part of FAR91.207 I think, all aircraft must have an ELT.

I have an idea what an ELP is, I heard it climbing out of thunderstorms in LAX, and I thought it was related to the phenomenon St. Elmo's fire. I am probably wrong though. Kirksville, MO is a town that the LAX-ORD route passes by.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by woodway
At this point, we executed a missed approach and looped around to get into the pattern again. Interesting in a 777 at 4000 feet. On the next approach we again had traffic in front of us for the parallel. Luckily this time the pilots were able to see the traffic and we landed without incident.
Calling traffic in sight puts the onus of separation on the pilot, and removes it from the controller. Even if they did spot the traffic sometimes its better to say you don't have them (especially if its hazy).
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Javan69
-----------
NRT - SFO a few years ago was so fast, the flight info display said we hit 710 -- MPH, not KPH. Fastest I've gone that I'm aware of. Short flight.
Likewise, on a LHR-IAD flight, I recall seeing us cross the 700 mph ground speed mark more than once--faster than the speed of sound in terms of ground speed (though obviously not in airspeed!)
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It seems whenever Ch 9 is on the purser always wants to hear himself/herself talk and they take forever to finish up their stupid messages. Arg.
Yes, the long pauses in which they keep the PA on are very annoying, IMHO. Particularly when they've made the most announcements, pause for a long time, then say something like, "We'd like to thank you for flying UA today........ we realize you have a choice in airlines........... and hope that you will think of UA the next time you fly................."

All the while, I'm missing out on interesting Channel 9 announcements!

Back to the OP, I wonder why there are some airports coming into which I very often hear "Information x-ray," rather than some other letter? Am I just flying the same schedule, I wonder, and thus more likely to get the same updates?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Likewise, on a LHR-IAD flight, I recall seeing us cross the 700 mph ground speed mark more than once--faster than the speed of sound in terms of ground speed (though obviously not in airspeed!)
Are you sure you don't mean IAD-LHR? LHR-IAD, would be nearly impossible.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by exerda

Back to the OP, I wonder why there are some airports coming into which I very often hear "Information x-ray," rather than some other letter? Am I just flying the same schedule, I wonder, and thus more likely to get the same updates?
ATIS recordings are labeled A (alpha) through Z (zulu) sequentially with every change -- that is a minimum each hour as new weather is reported. If there is a significant change in between hourly observations (changed weather, additional NOTAMs, etc., the ATIS is updated and the next letter is used). The fact that you hear X (x-ray) more often is just coincidence.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by United737522
Are you sure you don't mean IAD-LHR? LHR-IAD, would be nearly impossible.
Probably. It was several years ago, though the IAD-LHR flight certainly seemed to take much longer (probably because I was in E- as a GM, and the person in front of me wanted to fully recline the entire flight ).
Old May 5, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Overheard on approach to Minneapolis today:

Tower: Northwest expect 1-2-R, follow the heavy
Northwest: Roger 1-2-R, behind the heavy. Northwest.
Northwest: Tower how many ahead of us?
Tower: Eight
Northwest: OK that's not too bad, Northwest
Tower: It depends on how you look at it. An average of 150 people per plane, so I guess about a thousand ahead of you.

I :-: snarky controllers.
Old May 5, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by somnibaulist
I :-: snarky controllers.
Speaking of snarky controllers, heard in SFO on thursday after an AAmerican jet had been sitting for a while on spot 8 while the ground controller tried to get traffic untangled:

AAmerican xxx: Ground, American xxx - are we going to be moving soon?

Ground (obviously pissed off at this inquiry): American xxx, I don't need it from you, the people upstairs are already yelling at me. I'll get you moving as soon as I can.

Unidentified pilot to American xxx: Sounds like you want to be a controller.

American xxx (after a pause): No thanks, I like being a pilot.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:39 pm

Here is some for the geeks out there

United 926 push back and hold at taxi way Bravo 23. Wait in position and contact SFO Departures at 222,121,22

United 333 taxi to Foxtrot Charlie Foxtrot and hold in position behind company 737.

United 928 Contact Oaklland Flight Center at 222.121.22 Good Day.

United Airlines 828 continue on Zule Delta and tell me when you have the airport vector in sight.

United 824 contact SFO Arrivals good day. UA 824 take Palo Alto approach to runway Bravo 23 and maintain 20,000 feet until 20 miles from airport and descend.
Old May 5, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Originally Posted by woodway
Ground (obviously pissed off at this inquiry): American xxx, I don't need it from you, the people upstairs are already yelling at me. I'll get you moving as soon as I can.
It's great to hear controller's lay down the law. About a month ago I was sitting in the penalty box at ORD listening to ground control trying to route traffic around after a weather stop. Guy was a feaking rock star but just cracked-up when an AA pilot responded to one of his directions with "Sure. Whatever. AA."

"AA you must be kidding me. AA I need a roger or its back of the line for you."
Old May 6, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by danielonn
United Airlines 828 continue on Zule Delta and tell me when you have the airport vector in sight.
What does the "Zulu Delta" mean? I hear that all the time on climbout at seemingly random points in the conversation.
Old May 6, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by thegingerman
What does the "Zulu Delta" mean? I hear that all the time on climbout at seemingly random points in the conversation.
when an aircraft is transitioning out of the airspace controlled by the airport tower (for a Class B airport like SFO) this typically occurs about 3000 feet above airport elevation, just before the tower will tell the aircraft to contact the next airspace sector (volume of airspace "approach" ATC covers). Typically they'll say "<type of aircraft> <call sign> contact departure on ABC.YZ" frequency. The call sign is probably N432ZD. N is a US registered airplane. ZD is pronounced "zulu delta" from the phoenetic alphabet. It's probalby just coincidence that you heard zulu delta a few times but it can be anything.
Old May 6, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Zulu Delta could also be a taxiway designation. Some airports run out of single letter desigations, and so they go to doubles. While I don't know of a particular example, there could well be an airport (or more than one) that has a taxiway Zulu, with "spurs" Zulu Alpha, Zulu Bravo, Zulu Charlie, Zulu Delta,...
Old May 7, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by wxguy
Zulu Delta could also be a taxiway designation. Some airports run out of single letter desigations, and so they go to doubles. While I don't know of a particular example, there could well be an airport (or more than one) that has a taxiway Zulu, with "spurs" Zulu Alpha, Zulu Bravo, Zulu Charlie, Zulu Delta,...
That's right too. You always give your location (unless you are radar contact and have a descrete transponder code in the air) and on the ground at bigger airports with long taxiways, you'd give your location as the taxiway and then the crossing taxiway/runway. so in this case it would be where taxiway zulu (Z) meets taxiway delta (D).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.