Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
Channel 9 always seems to be at a lower volume than the other channels and I end up cranking up the volume in order to hear anything. This isn't a problem, except when the PA comes on and blasts the announcements in my ears! Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or suggestions?
Old May 23, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by ucsf_med
Channel 9 always seems to be at a lower volume than the other channels and I end up cranking up the volume in order to hear anything. This isn't a problem, except when the PA comes on and blasts the announcements in my ears! Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or suggestions?
I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels. And there is always crosstalk from a music channel or the movie audio track.
Old May 23, 2007, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redburgundy
I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels.
Yep, that's especially evident on the 767. Anyone know why this is the case on the 767 more than on other aircraft?
Old May 23, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redburgundy
I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels. And there is always crosstalk from a music channel or the movie audio track.
That is there for our convenience...so we can listen to channel 9 and watch the movie and listen to all 9 music channels at the same time.
Old May 23, 2007, 3:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
ucsf_med: this "volume" problem seems to happen most recently on Airbii 319/320. Older threads reporting this suggested that ch.9 draws from the observer's (jump seat) panel and if that panel had the gain turned down, then you will experience low volume on ch.9 but loud on PAs and other channels. About a year ago, I did report a very low ch.9 vol. setting to the captain on deplaining (after thanking him for ch.9). He asked if I had a minute while he checked and he could not find the answer to the problem.

Lucky... the 767 hum problem is a known issue with that type of aircraft. I recall an older thread explaining it; but can't quickly recall the specific thread.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
ucsf_med: this "volume" problem seems to happen most recently on Airbii 319/320. Older threads reporting this suggested that ch.9 draws from the observer's (jump seat) panel and if that panel had the gain turned down, then you will experience low volume on ch.9 but loud on PAs and other channels. About a year ago, I did report a very low ch.9 vol. setting to the captain on deplaining (after thanking him for ch.9). He asked if I had a minute while he checked and he could not find the answer to the problem.

Lucky... the 767 hum problem is a known issue with that type of aircraft. I recall an older thread explaining it; but can't quickly recall the specific thread.
As I recall, the noise on Ch. 9 on the 767 has to do with the grounding of the 400 Hz power system on this aircraft. Somehow, the 400 Hz is leaking in, producing that lovely tone...I've thought about building a little notch filter to try to kill it, but I'm an Aero E, not a EE, so far it remains an idea...
Old May 23, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Wirelessly posted (Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

A few months back, I tuned into ch 9 somewhere between arizona and colorado. I was tapping away on my laptop and forgot that I didn't switch back to my ipod, as I usually have no patience for channel 9 at cruise. a lady very quietly blurts out, IM NAKED, on the air!
Old May 23, 2007, 5:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
"Naked, please say your position"
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
I was listening to Ch 9 on approach to IAH today, and heard Houston Center call a SW flight and told him to be aware that he may have lost a piece of his landing gear on takeoff. Controller told him that a piece of jet landing gear landed on top of a house at the time they were lifting off. Then told SW to call company for instructions for emergency landing at his destination.
SW said they had no warning light but would call their HQ. Interesting.
Nothing on local news about it.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:22 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
On DEN-ORD today (UA 244 heavy, in case you're interested), I heard something that I've heard more and more frequently, it seems to me. A number of United flights having begun taxi get close to the runway and then inform ATC that they are still "waiting for numbers." I've been curious about this since I haven't heard it from any of the other airlines, but flying out of Denver as I do, it could simply be a volume thing.

Is it as common an occurance as it seems? Why does it sometimes take them so long?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ssh
On DEN-ORD today (UA 244 heavy, in case you're interested), I heard something that I've heard more and more frequently, it seems to me. A number of United flights having begun taxi get close to the runway and then inform ATC that they are still "waiting for numbers." I've been curious about this since I haven't heard it from any of the other airlines, but flying out of Denver as I do, it could simply be a volume thing.

Is it as common an occurance as it seems? Why does it sometimes take them so long?
It's an airline thing, not an airport thing. The "numbers" the pilots are waiting for are the weight/balance information that gives the various take-off speeds (V1, Vr, V2), from an automated flight planning system at UA. The numbers are transmitted electronically to the aircraft. When they arrive, the pilots key them into the flight management system. Then, the pilots can tell ATC they "have the numbers" and are ready to go.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by cblaisd
"Naked, please say your position"
"6.9 nautical miles south of CRAZY WOMAN."
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:04 am

KWI Flyers

What is Ch. 9 like over KWI and Iraq?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by emma dog
Heavy aircraft are capable of takeoff weights of more than 255,000 pounds whether or not they are operating at this weight during a particular phase of flight.
Originally Posted by dmodemd
The controller had previously told a NW 757(?) heavy [looked like an extra long 757??]
NW flies 757-300s which are indeed extra long and also have MTOW above 255,000lb -- they really are heavy.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:37 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's an airline thing, not an airport thing. The "numbers" the pilots are waiting for are the weight/balance information that gives the various take-off speeds (V1, Vr, V2), from an automated flight planning system at UA. The numbers are transmitted electronically to the aircraft. When they arrive, the pilots key them into the flight management system. Then, the pilots can tell ATC they "have the numbers" and are ready to go.
Thanks, wxguy... So, it seems to me that United is especially slow at getting the numbers out. I've been delayed on takeoff a number of times this year waiting for these. Usually only 5 minutes or so, but when we're already delayed getting out of the gate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.