Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 8:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Last weekend, I overheard a medical emergency declared somewhere in DEN center's airspace by an AA flight. The AA pilot gave the pax's name (!), seat #, a description of the medical problem, indicated a doctor onboard was attending to him, and declared intent to land at DEN (unfortunately, at that point, they got switched to another frequency). Was interesting.
Old May 7, 2007, 9:54 am

United XXX Heavy?

On a recent flight, the controller kept referring to "United 951 Heavy." What does the "heavy" mean? It was an international 767-300 and certainly not one of the heaviest aircrafts.
Old May 7, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Heavy means a wide body aircraft.
Old May 7, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by bamboola
On a recent flight, the controller kept referring to "United 951 Heavy." What does the "heavy" mean? It was an international 767-300 and certainly not one of the heaviest aircrafts.
Heavy aircraft are capable of takeoff weights of more than 255,000 pounds whether or not they are operating at this weight during a particular phase of flight. The FAA is designating the A380 as a "Super" for the time being (rules aren't finalized). Sometimes you will hear a 757 being called a "heavy" on the radio eventhough it technically isn't. Reason being is that the vortex pattern off the 757 are significantly stronger than what is expected for an airplane of that size and has increased separation distances as a result.
Old May 7, 2007, 10:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog
Sometimes you will hear a 757 being called a "heavy" on the radio eventhough it technically isn't. Reason being is that the vortex pattern off the 757 are significantly stronger than what is expected for an airplane of that size and has increased separation distances as a result.
Indeed. You'll also often hear warnings given for wake turbulence in general, and also specifically for 757s even without the "heavy" designation applied (i.e. "Caution, following company 757 at xxx" or something like that).
Old May 7, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Maybe this happens occasionally but got my attention...

We were 2nd in line to take off SEA-SFO with a Horizon Air prop taking off southbound. The controller had previously told a NW 757(?) heavy [looked like an extra long 757??] to hold short of crossing the runway. Then the Horizon was given clearance and he started to roll, then the controller cleared the NW to cross the runway! Pretty quickly another controller voice came on and told the NW to hold short! ... a second later he repeated himself, as there was no response. He then said "NW ___ how do you read?!?" and finally got a "NW ___ hold short" as the Horizon was taking off. Wasnt too much of a problem since the NW aircraft was way down near the end and the Horizon was airborne well before it but it got my attention!

Would that have been an incident to write up? And a good thing a supervisor or someone else was listening and intervened. The original controller went about his business but sounded tired and a little flustered. Didnt seem like he was too with it or experienced.

Reminded me of the incident a year or so ago when Seatac tower was unresponsive to incoming aircraft for about half and hour or so! Someone finally got in touch with someone to go knock on the door! It was kept VERY hush hush as to what happened but it came out later that the controllers had just zonked out!
Old May 7, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
...it came out later that the controllers had just zonked out!
Oh. THAT's encouraging.

Glad everything worked out :-)
Old May 7, 2007, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Maybe this happens occasionally but got my attention...

We were 2nd in line to take off SEA-SFO with a Horizon Air prop taking off southbound. The controller had previously told a NW 757(?) heavy [looked like an extra long 757??] to hold short of crossing the runway. Then the Horizon was given clearance and he started to roll, then the controller cleared the NW to cross the runway! Pretty quickly another controller voice came on and told the NW to hold short! ... a second later he repeated himself, as there was no response. He then said "NW ___ how do you read?!?" and finally got a "NW ___ hold short" as the Horizon was taking off. Wasnt too much of a problem since the NW aircraft was way down near the end and the Horizon was airborne well before it but it got my attention!

Would that have been an incident to write up? And a good thing a supervisor or someone else was listening and intervened. The original controller went about his business but sounded tired and a little flustered. Didnt seem like he was too with it or experienced.

Reminded me of the incident a year or so ago when Seatac tower was unresponsive to incoming aircraft for about half and hour or so! Someone finally got in touch with someone to go knock on the door! It was kept VERY hush hush as to what happened but it came out later that the controllers had just zonked out!
how about hearing "center, united 281, it appears we might have a slight problem with our pressurization system" to wake you up . 'specially if you were on united 281 this past saturday http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690358
Old May 23, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I got on, plugged in to channel 9, and heard the flight attendants talking to one another over their intercom system (in addition to hearing the ramp tower). Somehow the captain had selected a setting that patched together ATC and the internal intercom system over channel 9.

I learned that some of the paperwork a FAM carries is a "pink slip" that is provided to the captain, that there were three FAMs onboard, and that also the co-pilot was armed. That must be why the co-pilot carried a knapsack with him when he walked out into the terminal (this was a continuation flight with the same cabin crew).

I told the purser about it. He was embarrassed and said he hoped I was the only one listening.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by redburgundy
I learned that some of the paperwork a FAM carries is a "pink slip" that is provided to the captain
The "pink slip" is actually one copy of a four page form that is filled out by Armed Law Enforcement Officers who are traveling onboard. FAM's are not required to fill this form out while we are on mission status. However, when we are traveling on our own (training, vacation, etc.) we are required to fill it out. I've never heard of the FA's intercom system leaking into Ch. 9. Has this happened to anyone else? Have a nice day.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mmartin4600
The "pink slip" is actually one copy of a four page form that is filled out by Armed Law Enforcement Officers who are traveling onboard. FAM's are not required to fill this form out while we are on mission status. However, when we are traveling on our own (training, vacation, etc.) we are required to fill it out. I've never heard of the FA's intercom system leaking into Ch. 9. Has this happened to anyone else? Have a nice day.
...do we have a FAM on FlyerTalk?! Exciting! Welcome! ^
Old May 23, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xj47
...do we have a FAM on FlyerTalk?! Exciting! Welcome! ^
ONE FAM? Have you been to the Travel Safety/Security forum? We have p-l-e-n-t-y!
Old May 23, 2007, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
ONE FAM? Have you been to the Travel Safety/Security forum? We have p-l-e-n-t-y!
...o-rly.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xj47
...o-rly.
And lemme tell you, it aint pretty over there!
Old May 23, 2007, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
And lemme tell you, it aint pretty over there!
There are a few of us lurking in the shadows . And your right, it can get down right nasty sometimes over in the Travel Safety/Security forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.