Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:15 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The MAGGI 3 standard terminal arrival route (STAR) exists for HNL and OGG (Maui). It's used often from flights coming from the US mainland. Flights for HNL may be routed from the BITTA oceanic fix direct to CKH (Koko Head VOR). IIRC, flights bound to KOA use the the VECKI 6 STAR. Five letter waypoints (i.e., BITTA) are oceanic fixes and three-letter aids (CKH) are land or island based VOR omni-range beacons. So many flights are routed over the same points to keep them out of other traffic patterns. Also, 250 miles or so from the mainland or Hawaiian Islands, radar coverage is lost, so aircraft are kept on defined tracks with oceanic waypoints for reporting or coordination.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Great one out of SYD June 14th UA 870. We had a large monsoon move in after gate push which pretty much shut down the airport. This created a back up from the Domestic and International side coupled with everyone landing and taking off on 1R. After nearly an hour we are 2nd for departure when the captain politely tells the tower another 10 minutes and we will have to go back to refuel. Suddenly the Qantas infront of us is off, CH 9 goes dead, captain comes on and states "flight attendants prepare for immediate take off" we swing onto the runway, I can see the landing aircraft verring off the glide path and we are bombing down the runway!

Amazing what happens when your a long haul and running into your safety margin everything changes. Methinks the controller still had long queues on either side and it would have created mayhem in the queues to have us go back for a refuel so better to wave off a landing aircraft!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
After pushing back when ramp had headsets plugged in...(i'll paraphrase)

Male Pilot: That is some nice talent you have working downstairs (re:ramp girl guiding the plane during push back).

Ramp Guy: Yes she is, theres not much of that down here, you probably carry more of that onboard.

Male Pilot: I don't know, you can disconnect, have a good night.

I'll leave location out to protect the innocent, but seems inappropriate discussion to be having for many to hear.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drobbva
After pushing back when ramp had headsets plugged in...(i'll paraphrase)

Male Pilot: That is some nice talent you have working downstairs (re:ramp girl guiding the plane during push back).

Ramp Guy: Yes she is, theres not much of that down here, you probably carry more of that onboard.

Male Pilot: I don't know, you can disconnect, have a good night.

I'll leave location out to protect the innocent, but seems inappropriate discussion to be having for many to hear.
to the pilot
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Channel 9 Fun

Was on a SEA_ORD flight today. After takeoff it seemed like the pilot and ATC were on a slightly different page. Finally, the pilot asks "What are you showing for our altitude?"

The response was "1 - 4 thousand 4 hundred" (or something similar)

Pilot: Really?

A stutter and then, "Why. What do YOU show your altitude at?"

"1 5 thousand 6."

Then channel 9 changes to music for about 5 minutes. Afterwards, it goes back to normal channel 9, hearing traffic out of SEA.

I worked and watched the movie and then turned channel 9 back on during landing, only to find it was music again.

Makes you wonder...
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like the altimeter was set incorrectly, by quite a bit!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by eternalX
Was on a SEA_ORD flight today.
Which flight? It might be interesting to see if you can hear the missing bits of the conversation on liveatc.net.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
flight 470
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Had a similar odd exchange on a visual flight approach to SFO during a parallel set of landings about a week ago. Tower control told our flight crew that "XX123" (ids fictionalized for this posting) would be passing our flight on the right. Our crew (United flight) says "OK -- but that's illegal!" (which according to my travel companion, a private pilot, and also listening to channel 9, is true)

The tower control guy cames back and says "What's illegal??" -- flight crew and tower have a brief exchange about NorCal visual approach rules. Note Channel 9 stays on during this 40-50 second exchange. 30 seconds later Tower guy cames back and says the other plane would be holding position.

All very profession and calm -- doubtful would have been any risk (according to pilot friend) -- but interesting exchange.

Channel 9 can be rather routine but it has its interesting moments.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Had a similar odd exchange on a visual flight approach to SFO during a parallel set of landings about a week ago. Tower control told our flight crew that "XX123" (ids fictionalized for this posting) would be passing our flight on the right. Our crew (United flight) says "OK -- but that's illegal!" (which according to my travel companion, a private pilot, and also listening to channel 9, is true)

The tower control guy cames back and says "What's illegal??" -- flight crew and tower have a brief exchange about NorCal visual approach rules. Note Channel 9 stays on during this 40-50 second exchange. 30 seconds later Tower guy cames back and says the other plane would be holding position.

All very profession and calm -- doubtful would have been any risk (according to pilot friend) -- but interesting exchange.

Channel 9 can be rather routine but it has its interesting moments.
What was the weather like?

Had a similar incident on my last trip into SFO. Controllers (who work in a building in Fremont) were under the impression that SFO was VFR. Unfortunately, there was a thin cloud layer around 2000 feet which established a ceiling. Planes would "disappear" momentarily as they descended through. Enough to blow VFR and simultaneous parallel approaches. Plane on parallel approach had to do some wide "S" turns to get enough spacing -- did manage to avoid a missed approach.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:18 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Wild listening out of ORD last Wednesday evening. I was on UA 959 departing late due to weather earlier in the day. ATC was a young lady doing a bang-up job getting planes into and out of the air. I heard multiple "good jobs!" from the pilots as they'd leave her channel. It was like a ballet the way she got us going.

It was interesting to me that she cleared us for takeoff and then once we left the ground, she was gone. Her relief had taken over and he was there like he'd always been there. She was outstanding, tho, and great fun to listen to.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:18 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aerokitty
What was the weather like?

Had a similar incident on my last trip into SFO. Controllers (who work in a building in Fremont) were under the impression that SFO was VFR. ...
Oakland Center is in Fremont. NorCal TRACON, is near Mather, near Sacramento. From what I can tell of your post, it would appear the plane was talking to the TRACON.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 14, 2007 at 7:35 am
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssh
ATC was a young lady
Out of curiosity, how do you know she was a young lady?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Originally Posted by ssh
Wild listening out of ORD last Wednesday evening. I was on UA 959 departing late due to weather earlier in the day. ATC was a young lady doing a bang-up job getting planes into and out of the air. I heard multiple "good jobs!" from the pilots as they'd leave her channel. It was like a ballet the way she got us going.

It was interesting to me that she cleared us for takeoff and then once we left the ground, she was gone. Her relief had taken over and he was there like he'd always been there. She was outstanding, tho, and great fun to listen to.
Controllers only work 2 hour shifts separated by breaks. Before they change shifts, the next controller watches and becomes "situationally aware" of what is going on. The relief should remark "I have the picture" to indicate that s/he knows what is going on. This allows (in theory) a seamless and safe handoff.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aerokitty
Controllers only work 2 hour shifts separated by breaks.
That's no longer the case under the current contract. There is no longer a maximum time controllers can remain on position. (The contract says something to the effect of under usual circumstances they'll get a break every two hours, but that's not what happens in practice and it's no longer something a grievance can be filed over.) Controllers do not also say "I have the picture" ... you indicate that you have the "sector".

ssh: As far as the ground controller being relieved, it instead sounds as though you were handed off to the TRACON. The TRACON takes over almost as soon as you are airborne.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 13, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.