Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:19 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by livitup
Was taxing from the gate to the runway somewhere (ORD or IAD probably) and clearly heard the ground controller give us permission to cross another taxiway and continue on our current path. A couple minutes later we had reached the end of those instructions and a hold, and the co-pilot reported to ground where we were. Ground came back and said something to the effect that we were supposed to hold at the last intersection, that he never cleared us onto the taxiway we were on, and generally blustered and fumed. Co-pilot retorts back that she was sure that she heard the instructions correctly and that we were cleared past the previous hold point and instructed to continue on. Ground says that we must have been on a different frequency because HE never would have cleared us to go where we went.

Next voice is the pilot's, and he says that "all three of us here heard it, and we read it back to you, this is the only ground frequency we have been on." Ground says "well, you weren't talking to me, and you're screwed now anyway because the next taxiway has a width restriction, and your heavy is too wide."

I swear they went back and forth bickering like that for 3 or 4 minutes before captain finally said, "well, however we got here, we're here now, what do you want us to do?" Ground made us do a 180 and turn at the previous intersection.

The kicker? I know the FO was right... the ground controller screwed up. Oops!
Wow. So at IAD even the controllers are incompetent. (Before I get flamed, that was a joke. The truth is, there are controllers who have big egos and won't admit mistakes everywhere IME. ) Not surprising the parties involved would be arguing about this, however. Being on the wrong taxiway is a big no no.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959
There are a few guys out there who do this, and I agree...it is quite interesting. Much better than watching yet another rerun of NBC Inflight.
Yes. How many times can you watch the same episode of HEROES?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I overheard UA1444 PHX-DEN request "an autoland for currency" yesterday (obviously a Ted A320). Is this something which must be done periodically in order to maintain the aircraft or crew's credentials?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
UA Pilot to OAK Tower: "Neigh...."

Had a great flight last night. Landing about 40 mins early and the pilots (and pax) clearly very pleased. As we came into the airport a Fed-ex freighter with horses on board behind us requested the tower to leave some space behind him as he was going to roll to the end of the runway for a gentle slow down on landing. Our pilot couldn't resist confirming no equine pax on board and then letting rip with a long Neiggh...no comment from the tower Got to love Channel 9

Last edited by aussieinsf; Sep 23, 2007 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:57 pm

I think I was the only one listening to Channel 9 yesterday; I was the only one who laughed when we were on the NYC Center frequency and a pilot asked for a Yankees score.

I'm also still waiting for a flight where the captain is actually standing there to greet pax as they're getting off the plane so I can thank him for turning on Channel 9...
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
These sorts of things which really make listening to Channel 9 worthwhile... and unique to UA.

I missed it on my flight last week--on the DCA-ORD leg, the pilot apologized before takeoff that it was broken, and that since it wasn't a flight safety issue, maintenance hadn't put it atop their priority for fixing. Then, the ORD-SFO leg had XM on Ch9, and though the FAs said they passed on the request to the cockpit to switch it to ATC, it didn't happen.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Originally Posted by abefroman329
I'm also still waiting for a flight where the captain is actually standing there to greet pax as they're getting off the plane so I can thank him for turning on Channel 9...
I thanked the captain this past Wed after flying IAD-BOS.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Mods mind merging this into "Heard on Ch9..." thread? It definintely qualifies
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Nice
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
FTers who enjoy Ch 9 (as I do) may want to refrain from including flight identifying information in posts such as these. In a strict sense, the abovementioned "ATC comm" is not within the scope of permitted uses. The easiest way to make Ch 9 go away is to make UA captains fear that they will be ratted out by a pax. Remember, Ch 9 is at the sole discretion of the captain.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:01 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in Denver a few weeks back when a t-storm was at the edge of the airport (we had to thread our way through just to land). Of course all the permissions to take off got changed and the poor computer seemed to be struggling with the overload. So on channel 9 one pilot after another kept asking about the new flight plan only to be sternly rebuffed by the tower. When they finally started reading them back I didn't hear a single pilot get it right sometimes it took several attempts to read back. I thought it was awfully funny even though it was delaying my departure.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by msv
I was in Denver a few weeks back when a t-storm was at the edge of the airport (we had to thread our way through just to land). .... So on channel 9 one pilot after another kept asking about the new flight plan only to be sternly rebuffed by the tower. When they finally started reading them back I didn't hear a single pilot get it right sometimes it took several attempts to read back. I thought it was awfully funny even though it was delaying my departure.
As a pilot, I can confirm that it's much easier to copy a clearance that is the one you filed and expected rather than a change. FYI, they were not rebuffed by the "tower" but rather "ground control" or at a larger airport "clearance delivery" which is a separate freq set aside specifically for shooting out clearances.....
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:24 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzpilot
As a pilot, I can confirm that it's much easier to copy a clearance that is the one you filed and expected rather than a change. FYI, they were not rebuffed by the "tower" but rather "ground control" or at a larger airport "clearance delivery" which is a separate freq set aside specifically for shooting out clearances.....
Thanks for clarifying this for me. The frazzled woman at ground control was at the end of her shift and things went along much better when her replacement arrived. It was my first experience with channel 9 which was really cool. There was also a lovely display of mother nature just to the north to watch out the window.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:36 pm
Suspended

^ to the FedEx captain caring for the horses! ^
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Clearly I've been around too long because I'm still waiting for the FlyerTalker who complains on this thread about this being some sort of lack of professionalism, followed by another post wondering "how much compensation" they will get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.