Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FBKSan
I was in SFO two weeks ago and got to hear "Blue Angel 1, you are cleared to land." Moments later, four Blue Angels touched down one after another, probably a 1000+ feet apart. Apparently they were preforming/practicing an air show. Pretty neat.
Hmmm, did they maybe have the Blue Angels for Fleet Week at SFO? Sounds feasible.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hmmm, did they maybe have the Blue Angels for Fleet Week at SFO? Sounds feasible.
Not sure, the Blue Angels schedule just says they were in SFO for an airshow. But this suggests you're right, Lucky.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:49 pm

Not sure, the Blue Angels schedule just says they were in SFO for an airshow. But this suggests you're right, Lucky.
Yeah, they are regulars at Fleet Week.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by 12172003
That's surprising. I would have expected them to fly out of Moffett (KNUQ) and I live under short final for KNUQ.
My office is right under the approach for Moffet - although we get lots of jets, I don't remember seeing the Blue Angels landing - They probably use an airfield closer to the main fleet week activities.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Lightman7
My office is right under the approach for Moffet - although we get lots of jets, I don't remember seeing the Blue Angels landing - They probably use an airfield closer to the main fleet week activities.
Yeah, like SFO.

A couple of years back, during taxi for take-off at SFO, the captain announced that those on the left side of the plane could see a Blue Angel taking off. Unfortunately I was on the right side. But on Ch. 9 I did hear a pilot asking the tower where the Angel was going. Answer was San Diego.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat
I was at SFO that day...I can confirm that the Blue Angels were indeed at SFO!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: NWA SE, CO, DL, AA, UA, SW
MSY ATC AA hits a bird

Sort of related to ch. 9: Sometimes I listen to LiveATC on my desktop as background. My wife finds it rather odd. What does she know...?

But I digress. Tuned into MSY to see how the pilots are reacting to the ugly weather on approach. Heard that an AA plane hit a bird just after departing runway 28. It was talked about for a few minutes, but nothing really earth shattering came from it.

The pilot who hit the bird said the only damage was....to the bird.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Yup, I was there. Saw the show on Saturday, Oct 7 from Embarcadero (and the balcony of my hotel), and Sunday, Oct 8 from Market Street.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
This wouldn't qualify as fun, but I heard my first go-around on channel 9. It was at PHX about 2.5 weeks ago.

ATC: Fedex, I need you off the runway
Fedex: OK
ATC: Fedex, I need you off the runway now.
ATC: Fedex, I need you off that runway NOW.
ATC: USxxxx, go around, USxxxx, go around.
USxxxx: Copy that
USxxxx: Usxxxx climbing to 5000 feet.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by dimramon
This wouldn't qualify as fun, but I heard my first go-around on channel 9. It was at PHX about 2.5 weeks ago.

ATC: Fedex, I need you off the runway
Fedex: OK
ATC: Fedex, I need you off the runway now.
ATC: Fedex, I need you off that runway NOW.
ATC: USxxxx, go around, USxxxx, go around.
USxxxx: Copy that
USxxxx: Usxxxx climbing to 5000 feet.
Sounds like kinda what happened on my CO flight LAS-IAH on Aug 28th. I was on the plane doing the 19 minute go-around... Kinda cool to have the engines rev all the way back up at about 50 feet above the runway.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
Yup, I was there. Saw the show on Saturday, Oct 7 from Embarcadero (and the balcony of my hotel), and Sunday, Oct 8 from Market Street.
Blue Angels are nearly always in SF for Fleet Week. I believe having them use SFO creates less confusion in the small airspace around the Bay; with SFO, OAK and SJC all sharing airspace, putting four-six high performance, low-flying aircraft at yet-another field is what they might call "game changing".
When Moffett was used daily for military aircraft, the ATCs were familar with the patterns. That may be not so true anymore.
The President still uses Moffett, however.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After years of having Ch 9 almost always on, I've hit a rough patch - pilots on my last 4 flights in a row have refused to turn it on.

Hopefully my luck will change soon.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:11 am

So I am flying SFO-LAS yesterday evening and I hear a few intresting things as we are being vecored in for our 1R landing (very unusual from the normal, we over flew the stratosphere and to the east of the airport doing a downwind leg).

We are at FL70 holding steady.
ATC: UA1xxx, How fast can you get down for me?
UA1xxx: Like an elevator...
ATC: Okay, Decend to 5000.

Minutes later (on our base leg).
ATC: UA 1xxx, you have traffic at 130, a 737, please report it in sight.
UA1xxx: Looking... I see traffic at about 1230 and 230, please advise.
ATC: Okay, traffic at 1230 is for 1L and the traffic at 230 you will follow to 1R.
UA1xxx: "TALLEY HO!"

That responce got a good laugh out of me.

Something intresting as well was the Midwest Jet that got cleared to takeoff when we were only about 2 miles from the end of the runway.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
After years of having Ch 9 almost always on, I've hit a rough patch - pilots on my last 4 flights in a row have refused to turn it on.

Hopefully my luck will change soon.
That is why I always make sure to ask the pilot or Purser right when I get on. I have yet to have anyone say No to that unless the Audio was broke. (Should I have asked for a skykit the one time this happened?).

Not sure what my responce would be if they said No just for the hell of it, other than to express my disapointment and explain to them I fly UA for E+ and Ch9 and that this would not settle well with me...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: InterContinental Ambassador
On 2 Oct flight UA947 IAD-LAX (1750 departure) there was a humorous moment. There was a lot of chatter on channel 9. Seems that there was a lot of traffic both on the ground and overhead that was making it difficult to get out. Ground Control was moving aircraft all over the place to get them to where they could sit to await there departure slot. Our captain asked the tower for a time estimate and stated that he wanted to shut down one engine. If the delay would be long, he wanted to shut them both down.

The tower came back saying that it would be a while, that he didn't know how long. The tower wanted to know how long it would take to fire the engines back up. The captain said "about 5 minutes." The tower told him to go ahead and shut them down.

The flight crew went through the process. First one engine shut down. Then the second engine shut down.

Within seconds of the second engine going quiet, the tower announced that we had our slot. This was immediately followed by laughter in the cabin (those of us listening), and laughter by the captain - he keyed his mic while laughing.

Several minutes later, our engines had spun back up and we were on our way.

Perhaps not the funniest story, but I was one of the people who laughed out loud. My girlfriend, who wasn't listening, looked at me quizically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.