Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2024, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

United Airlines Debuts New Onboard Safety Video

Photos(1)

More than a dozen United employees provide clear, easy-to-follow demonstrations of critical safety procedures

Video was filmed inside a life-sized, airplane-inspired sequential reaction machine designed to capture and keep the attention of even the most frequent travelers

CHICAGO, May 16, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- United today debuted a new onboard safety video where more than a dozen United employees provide clear, easy-to-follow demonstrations of critical safety procedures. The video was filmed inside a life-sized, airplane-inspired sequential reaction machine, with a creative concept designed to capture and keep the attention of even the most frequent fliers. Development of the new video began in June 2023 and was inspired by the teams of United employees whose coordinated actions ensure the airline operates safely. The new video will debut on select aircraft starting May 25 and will roll out across the fleet over the summer.

"Safety is the foundation of everything we do at United," said Sasha Johnson, Vice President of Corporate Safety for United. "Safety starts with being prepared. We have ongoing, rigorous safety training for our crews. And we also make sure our customers know what to do in the event of an emergency. We are proud that our new safety video empowers passengers by giving them information and clear instructions."

United worked with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the development of the safety video beginning in October 2023 through March 2024 when the video was approved. This included multiple checkpoints along the production process, including review of the storyboard and script before filming even began to ensure the content met the FAA requirements.

United's New Safety Video by the Numbers

The new video titled "Safety in Motion" follows a ball as it makes its way through the sequential reaction machine, rolling and bouncing through airplane-inspired set-ups that include chutes, a snack cart and drink cup, seatbelts, windows, seats, directional signage and more as real United employees demonstrate key safety procedures. See here for a behind-the-scenes look.

"The safest safety video is one that passengers actively watch. Our creative concept was inspired by the idea of connection and the many moments of any given day that our employee work groups have to connect to be able to get thousands of flights off the ground and to their destinations safely," said Maggie Schmerin, Chief Advertising Officer for United. "We worked across the airline to ensure our new safety video clearly and succinctly communicates critical information in a way passengers can't help but watch no matter their age, background or experience traveling."
  • 171 customized versions of the safety video to accommodate United's 8 different aircraft types, 20 various seat configurations on those aircraft and 18 languages
  • Ten months in the making Creative development on the new video began in June 2023; filming took place in October 2023 and then the team spent the next five months on edits and translations before the March 2023 FAA approval
  • 12 individual contraptions the ball passes through in the machine
  • 17 employees from across the airline, including flight attendants, pilots, customer service agents, ramp service, tech operations, the network operations center and reservations
  • More than 1,000 real dominoes
  • A 100-year old song, "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin, that's been a consistent feature in United safety videos over the years
The airline's creative agency of record, 72andSunny, production partner, 1stAveMachine, and award-winning director Karim Zariffa worked together with United to execute the complex camera production for the video.

United Investments in Safety Training

"Safety in Motion" demonstrates key safety procedures, mandated to all U.S. airlines by the FAA and critical to passenger safety in case of an emergency. United features real employees in the video, who go through a regular schedule of updated training sessions throughout their United career. For example, the airline's pilots complete simulator training with instructors and evaluators every nine months and flight attendants refresh their qualifications every 18 months.

United recently opened a new 150,000 square-foot building at its Flight Training Center in Denver. Already the largest facility of its kind in the world, the Flight Training Center has eight total buildings, more than 700,000 square feet of training space and now has more than 52 state-of-the-art full-motion flight simulators providing even more training capacity for the airline's 17,000 pilots.

Last year, United also expanded its largest Inflight Training Center, located in Houston, to include new classrooms, additional cabin and door trainers and a state-of-the-art aquatic center to practice the safe evacuation of the plane in the unlikely event of a water landing.

And since 2020, United requires pilots to participate in an annual Pilot Professional Development training. This full-day, interactive, in-person training exceeds FAA requirements and industry norms by mandating all pilots, not just captains, participate. The training also uses actual United case studies to ensure the airline's pilots excel in self-awareness, confidence, mentoring, and leadership. United worked closely with its Flight Training, Flight Standards and Aviation Safety teams plus ALPA in the 100 percent safety-focused curriculum.

For more information, visit united.com and download media assets here.
Print Wikipost

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 7:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Was just remarking the other day that UA had done what, three or four new videos in quick succession (at least one or two Olympic ones, the one with the llama, plus the current one), but hadn't done a new one in several years.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Indeed, the video is only shown on those planes that have individual screens for passengers, and UA has what percentage of planes that can actually show a safety video?
Didn't get it on either of my flights yesterday with individual IFE, FWIW. Both were the same old one. I wonder what the rollout process requires?
Old May 17, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by exerda
Was just remarking the other day that UA had done what, three or four new videos in quick succession (at least one or two Olympic ones, the one with the llama, plus the current one), but hadn't done a new one in several years.
Didn't the current one get interspersed with a couple of other, temporary ones?
I seem to recall having the current one, then for a few months something else, then back to the current one. This happened twice, maybe?
Old May 17, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
As someone that flies JL and NH regularly -- both domestically and internationally -- this is needlessly complex and self-serving marketing promotion -- much likes the dinosaurs on golf courses fishing for whatever -- it's supposed to be about safety for the pax -- not a marketing gimmick... When UA first started doing these types of videos it was a novelty -- hey - lets make something fun for people to learn something -- now it's just become an annoyance that no one pays attention to anymore -- which honestly puts pax safety at risk.... The recent event at HND brings this into focus -- safety isn't a marketing opportunity -- it really matters....
Old May 17, 2024, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The recent event at HND brings this into focus......
I thought of that too, and wondered whether the [almost] flawless evacuation had to do with JAL's straightforward, no-nonsense safety video, FA training, or cultural differences.....or most likely a combination of all of those.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
As for the 90 second test, I've wondered if it is redone when seating layouts are changed (more seats, more people). It doesnt sound like it.
The evacuation test establishes the MAXIMUM number of seats that may be installed in the aircraft. This would typically be a tight, all coach seats configuration. The actual cabin design is restricted to that certification limit and the seats themselves must comply with any other applicable regulatory requirements.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ridiculously too long - not sure why the FAA allows airlines to do these nonsensical theatrical productions.
They allow them because they comply with 14 CFR 121.571. If the FAA determines that the briefings should be further restricted, they would have to change that regulation, which they have the power to do.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by narvik
I thought of that too, and wondered whether the [almost] flawless evacuation had to do with JAL's straightforward, no-nonsense safety video, FA training, or cultural differences.....or most likely a combination of all of those.
My (Japanese) wife believes it was a combination -- the domestic passengers instinctively obeyed -- and the foreign passengers that didn't know what to do were saved by the captain doing his final check and ordering them to evacuate -- which ultimately saved their lives....
Old May 17, 2024, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
The old video was getting....well.....old.

This one will get old soon enough I expect, but at least it new for now.
Meh. Ill get used to it, but its already getting old for me haha. When I began to see it, I thought I was watching American Airlines safety video 😅

The old one may be old, but at least its more UA than this new AA video, is shorter, and doesnt have a distracting ball bouncing everywhere that is apparently a focus in this video.

Last edited by Starbase 1K; May 17, 2024 at 12:43 pm
Old May 17, 2024, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
They allow them because they comply with 14 CFR 121.571. If the FAA determines that the briefings should be further restricted, they would have to change that regulation, which they have the power to do.
(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:

(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.

(ii) The location of emergency exits.

(iii) The use of safety belts, including instructions on how to fasten and unfasten the safety belts. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions the safety belt must be fastened about that passenger. This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and crewmember instructions concerning the use of safety belts.

(iv) The location and use of any required emergency flotation means.
Going through this list should take literally 45-60 seconds of graphic and text based instructions. Cut the fluff about where to store bags - the bags are all stored by the time the video runs, so it doesn't add anything.

Spreading this information across a 5 minute self-congratulatory song and dance number only leads to apathy and tune-out - and then I need to climb over those people to get out if an actual emergency occurs. This doesn't need to be an ad for Jardiance, just present the facts quickly and concisely.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:52 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My (Japanese) wife believes it was a combination -- the domestic passengers instinctively obeyed -- and the foreign passengers that didn't know what to do were saved by the captain doing his final check and ordering them to evacuate -- which ultimately saved their lives....
defiinitely culture compliance. Compare with the DL nose fire video where the idiots were bring theirncarryons through the wing exit doors

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
]FAA has that is all the broken thumbs and fingers on both corpses and survivors in prior accidents trying desperately to push a button
that’s made up. Post a crash report with text of trapped pax in seatbelts to prove me wrong.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2024 at 1:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; repaired quote
Old May 17, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The current one is much better and more creative. The new one is not much different than most other safety video from other airlines.

By the way, there are now five ads prior to watching each movie/tv/other shows on the seatback screen
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Spreading this information across a 5 minute self-congratulatory song and dance number only leads to apathy and tune-out - and then I need to climb over those people to get out if an actual emergency occurs. This doesn't need to be an ad for Jardiance, just present the facts quickly and concisely.
That's a fine opinion, and I won't argue against it, but it doesn't change what the regulation requires.

Here's an FAA Advisory Circular with additional guidance on how airlines are to comply with the regulations on safety briefings and safety information cards. It is 50 pages long.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentid/1035568

It includes the following text on page 3 of the pdf, "One way to increase passenger motivation is to make the safety information briefings and safety information cards as interesting, entertaining, and attractive as possible." So, it seems the FAA encourages interesting and entertaining safety briefings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did they not understand that the first priority should have been to make the video as short as possible? This is the problem when the people who design things are neither regular customers nor do they solicit feedback from regular customers.
​​​​​​
I stayed at a hotel where there was not a single place to hang a towel. Clearly they never gave the slightest consideration to how a guest would use the room.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:04 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
defiinitely culture compliance. Compare with the DL nose fire video where the idiots were bring theirncarryons through the wing exit doors

thats made up. Post a crash report with text of trapped pax in seatbelts to prove me wrong.
It is not; it is cited in the 3rd slide of the briefing before all Evac training at KOKC. IIRC and I had juat pinned on Capt. My last time through, but I think the referenced the Cal Poly crash and one previous to that at Yokota. Sorry to disappoint you...lol

As an aside they have people that break fingers and break/twist ankles just doing the mock Evacs, let alone the real thing.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; May 17, 2024 at 3:14 pm
Old May 18, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't show travel destinations. Don't try to be cute. Safety videos should have only one "theme" - safety. I will continue to ignore any video that exists solely to massage a filmmaker's ego and ignores actual safety content.

And that "joke" has been around since 1973. Just keep it brief and to the point. I know most Southwest and Virgin FAs are failed standup comedians, and that's one reason I don't fly them.
There is no even remotely plausible scenario under which a "filmmaker's ego" was involved in the production of this UA safety video.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't show travel destinations. Don't try to be cute. Safety videos should have only one "theme" - safety. I will continue to ignore any video that exists solely to massage a filmmaker's ego and ignores actual safety content.... Just keep it brief and to the point.....
In a previous life, I was tech pubs mgr for a major computer manufacturer.

User testing taught us that every superfluous sentence diminished the chances that users would learn what they actually needed to know. We cut many manuals in half. Users loved it.

United's safety video can & should be reduced to about 60 seconds.
Doppy, bocastephen and wpcoe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.