Old May 16, 2024, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

United Airlines Debuts New Onboard Safety Video

Photos(1)

More than a dozen United employees provide clear, easy-to-follow demonstrations of critical safety procedures

Video was filmed inside a life-sized, airplane-inspired sequential reaction machine designed to capture and keep the attention of even the most frequent travelers

CHICAGO, May 16, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- United today debuted a new onboard safety video where more than a dozen United employees provide clear, easy-to-follow demonstrations of critical safety procedures. The video was filmed inside a life-sized, airplane-inspired sequential reaction machine, with a creative concept designed to capture and keep the attention of even the most frequent fliers. Development of the new video began in June 2023 and was inspired by the teams of United employees whose coordinated actions ensure the airline operates safely. The new video will debut on select aircraft starting May 25 and will roll out across the fleet over the summer.

"Safety is the foundation of everything we do at United," said Sasha Johnson, Vice President of Corporate Safety for United. "Safety starts with being prepared. We have ongoing, rigorous safety training for our crews. And we also make sure our customers know what to do in the event of an emergency. We are proud that our new safety video empowers passengers by giving them information and clear instructions."

United worked with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the development of the safety video beginning in October 2023 through March 2024 when the video was approved. This included multiple checkpoints along the production process, including review of the storyboard and script before filming even began to ensure the content met the FAA requirements.

United's New Safety Video by the Numbers

The new video titled "Safety in Motion" follows a ball as it makes its way through the sequential reaction machine, rolling and bouncing through airplane-inspired set-ups that include chutes, a snack cart and drink cup, seatbelts, windows, seats, directional signage and more as real United employees demonstrate key safety procedures. See here for a behind-the-scenes look.

"The safest safety video is one that passengers actively watch. Our creative concept was inspired by the idea of connection and the many moments of any given day that our employee work groups have to connect to be able to get thousands of flights off the ground and to their destinations safely," said Maggie Schmerin, Chief Advertising Officer for United. "We worked across the airline to ensure our new safety video clearly and succinctly communicates critical information in a way passengers can't help but watch no matter their age, background or experience traveling."
  • 171 customized versions of the safety video to accommodate United's 8 different aircraft types, 20 various seat configurations on those aircraft and 18 languages
  • Ten months in the making Creative development on the new video began in June 2023; filming took place in October 2023 and then the team spent the next five months on edits and translations before the March 2023 FAA approval
  • 12 individual contraptions the ball passes through in the machine
  • 17 employees from across the airline, including flight attendants, pilots, customer service agents, ramp service, tech operations, the network operations center and reservations
  • More than 1,000 real dominoes
  • A 100-year old song, "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin, that's been a consistent feature in United safety videos over the years
The airline's creative agency of record, 72andSunny, production partner, 1stAveMachine, and award-winning director Karim Zariffa worked together with United to execute the complex camera production for the video.

United Investments in Safety Training

"Safety in Motion" demonstrates key safety procedures, mandated to all U.S. airlines by the FAA and critical to passenger safety in case of an emergency. United features real employees in the video, who go through a regular schedule of updated training sessions throughout their United career. For example, the airline's pilots complete simulator training with instructors and evaluators every nine months and flight attendants refresh their qualifications every 18 months.

United recently opened a new 150,000 square-foot building at its Flight Training Center in Denver. Already the largest facility of its kind in the world, the Flight Training Center has eight total buildings, more than 700,000 square feet of training space and now has more than 52 state-of-the-art full-motion flight simulators providing even more training capacity for the airline's 17,000 pilots.

Last year, United also expanded its largest Inflight Training Center, located in Houston, to include new classrooms, additional cabin and door trainers and a state-of-the-art aquatic center to practice the safe evacuation of the plane in the unlikely event of a water landing.

And since 2020, United requires pilots to participate in an annual Pilot Professional Development training. This full-day, interactive, in-person training exceeds FAA requirements and industry norms by mandating all pilots, not just captains, participate. The training also uses actual United case studies to ensure the airline's pilots excel in self-awareness, confidence, mentoring, and leadership. United worked closely with its Flight Training, Flight Standards and Aviation Safety teams plus ALPA in the 100 percent safety-focused curriculum.

For more information, visit united.com and download media assets here.
Print Wikipost

New Safety Video

Old May 18, 2024, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
By the way, there are now five ads prior to watching each movie/tv/other shows on the seatback screen
And you can no longer skip them...
Old May 18, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Wait, what? This is new?
Old May 18, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It is not; it is cited in the 3rd slide of the briefing before all Evac training at KOKC. IIRC and I had juat pinned on Capt. My last time through, but I think the referenced the Cal Poly crash and one previous to that at Yokota. Sorry to disappoint you...lol

As an aside they have people that break fingers and break/twist ankles just doing the mock Evacs, let alone the real thing.
cal poly? You going to play a card ftom a Trimotor crash from 1950s?

fail

to be clear, I assert seat belt release failure has not been cited as a cause of death on plane crashes in history post Ben Hur
Old May 18, 2024, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Originally Posted by narvik
Wait, what? This is new?
Yes. That is the absolute worst part.

Tap all you want, you can't move the tracking position.

Once your actual video starts, the little ball is back and the slider can be moved.
SPN Lifer, narvik and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The 5 ads (with no fast forward options) haven't made their way into all of the seatback displays yet...so far only on newer aircraft builds - e.g. A321, based on my observation.
SPN Lifer and Starbase 1K like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The 5 ads (with no fast forward options) haven't made their way into all of the seatback displays yet...so far only on newer aircraft builds - e.g. A321, based on my observation.
Had it on a 752. 😑
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post # 65)
Originally Posted by fumje (Post # 66)
Had it on a 752. 😑
That is a a good time to "clear my ears" by removing the ear buds.
econ and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Where's the dinosaur (Loch Ness Monster)? How about the Kangaroo?
both fired after blocking the lavs for themselves. i wasnt there but my friend was on that flight & told me so it must be true. 🤣🤣🤣
LaserSailor and jackk763 like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 4:42 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
cal poly? You going to play a card ftom a Trimotor crash from 1950s?

fail

to be clear, I assert seat belt release failure has not been cited as a cause of death on plane crashes in history post Ben Hur
1000s of aircrew have been trained on that slide, and that was one of the wrecks sighted.

I lived it for a decade, trained it, and if the FAA was lying to DoD so be it, but it is still being taught as of last month when I confirmed the slide was still in use. So there is that!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2024 at 4:59 pm Reason: Let's stay civil
Old May 20, 2024, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by uanj
Yes, for the US' most international airline I was expecting more standard English that would be easier to understand overseas. Fine for US audiences but more clarity is really important for non-native speakers.
I question how many non-native speakers would be able to understand the old safety video. If my english skills were minimal, I imagine I would struggle or just give up.
uanj likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:13 am

75-92% of pax dont watch the demo at all.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by narvik
Didn't the current one get interspersed with a couple of other, temporary ones?
I seem to recall having the current one, then for a few months something else, then back to the current one. This happened twice, maybe?
The current one is a amalgamation of Safety is Global II and III - they cut out the Brazil carnival opening during COVID to avoid showing people gathering.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
In a previous life, I was tech pubs mgr for a major computer manufacturer.

User testing taught us that every superfluous sentence diminished the chances that users would learn what they actually needed to know. We cut many manuals in half. Users loved it.

United's safety video can & should be reduced to about 60 seconds.
Originally Posted by Doppy
How did they not understand that the first priority should have been to make the video as short as possible? This is the problem when the people who design things are neither regular customers nor do they solicit feedback from regular customers.
​​​​​​
I stayed at a hotel where there was not a single place to hang a towel. Clearly they never gave the slightest consideration to how a guest would use the room.
I would blame the FAA for requiring all required elements, some of which are stated verbatim from the regs because of the requirement. Demonstrating the life jacket requires at least 45 seconds since you have to explain a) tear open the pouch b) unfold the vest c) slip it over your head d) wrap the cord e) secure the jack with the buckle and tighten the cord f) pull the tab to inflate just before you exit g) you can also use the tube h) infant life vest to be distributed if necessary. That's just one element - a 60 second briefing will never happen unless you hire the speed-talker from Micro-Machine commercials.

Originally Posted by eng3
I question how many non-native speakers would be able to understand the old safety video. If my english skills were minimal, I imagine I would struggle or just give up.
Both the safety card and safety demo are pictorial, designed to be understood without knowing the language. Try it with a 5 year old sometimes.
SPN Lifer and LaserSailor like this.

Last edited by PTahCha; May 22, 2024 at 2:35 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...f) pull the tab to inflate just before you exit g) you can also use the tube...
Pet peeve: I immediately rate any [live action] Safety Video an "F" if they don't actually pull the tab to inflate and/or only pretend-blow into the tube.
SPN Lifer, choch345, wpcoe and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Just saw it for the first time. Before it even ended, I already missed the old one.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:20 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
We all get bored by the briefing if we fly weekly. Let’s not forget 90% of the plane is on it for the one time they will fly that year.

when my FF seat mate wants to yak during the briefing, I ask him/ her to be quiet so others can hear the briefing. I do fly many different types and door opening is slightly different on each one.

Can you do it with your eyes closed ?

how many seat backs do I count before the exit row or door?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.