Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM
It doesn't upset me if people ask and I don't think it's rude to ask. I do think it's rude to not let it drop if it didn't go their way. A friend of mine once said to me, after I'd pressed her a number of times to let me take her picture before she left the west coast for good, "You've asked me and I've said no. I don't want my picture taken and I have a right to say no to that." She deftly changed the subject from all the reasons why she should let me take her picture to the fact that she had a right to say no. I could hardly argue that she did not have that right. I've borrowed that a number of times since then when people forget that others have rights too and I always think fondly of her.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:51 am

I have always agreed to seat swap requests, unless I am given a substantially worse seat. I move on with life. Some day, I might be in that same position, making that request.

[Comment deleted by moderator per rules.]

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by staren937

At a restaurant you reserve a table, and I have definitely asked to be switched to other tables and been accommodated.
It's not a good analogy anyhow - when you reserve at a restaurant you're asking for a "table for X". The restaurant then has the freedom to assign you to any of a number of tables that meet your requirements, and also are consistent with other needs, based all on the last minute.

United (and others) assign seats on a first come basis. It would only be analogous if when you booked you requested X seats together (and maybe could ask for a window or a group not near the galley) and then you were told where you're sitting when you arrive.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Do you cut people in the security line without asking because you're in a rush, or do you 'ask' if you could go in front of them since you're in a rush/late for your flight due to a short connection or a delayed aircraft?

You tell me which one would go down better.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by staren937
Your examples also make no sense. You can't compare anything you list with asking folks about a like-for-like seat exchange, which is what most people are discussing on this thread. I agree that the people trying to switch out of inferior seats should be shot down. But I have a hard time seeing why asking about a like for like or like for [the person asking's] superior seat is "rude, an imposition or an annoyance". You're free to say no when people ask but to say it's rude to ask is asinine.
No, it's rude to even ask. Courtesy is taking the seat you are given, sitting down in it, and not bothering others. As flyertalk user Sarah2599 put it: "Even politely asking is intrusive and puts the other person in an awkward situation. I don’t want to be put in that situation, say no, and then have some psychopath stare me down for an entire flight. It’s inappropriate to force that position in the first place."

I don't want to hear from other pax at all if I can help it. I am settled. I have my bag stored. My ear buds are in. I am reading. I reserved that seat well in advance. For someone to disturb me to ask that I give them what I have is flat out rude. To presume I care about their problem is flat out rude. To ask me to have to gather my stuff and try to find what little bin space is left is rude. Requesting someone else's seat, regardless of how politely it is done, is an imposition to satisfy wants, not needs. It's no better than panhandling.

I don't care if it's like for like ( and anecdotally, it has never been even like for like. The closest I came was an offer for aisle to aisle..but seeing as the seat they were offering was next to a COS..and behind a toddler, it really wasn't). I still have to get up and move my stuff to accommodate grown adults who just don't want to sit apart. If there are kids involved, get the FA to make me move.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
No, it's rude to even ask. Courtesy is taking the seat you are given, sitting down in it, and not bothering others. As flyertalk user Sarah2599 put it: "Even politely asking is intrusive and puts the other person in an awkward situation. I don’t want to be put in that situation, say no, and then have some psychopath stare me down for an entire flight. It’s inappropriate to force that position in the first place."

I don't want to hear from other pax at all if I can help it. I am settled. I have my bag stored. My ear buds are in. I am reading. I reserved that seat well in advance. For someone to disturb me to ask that I give them what I have is flat out rude. To presume I care about their problem is flat out rude. To ask me to have to gather my stuff and try to find what little bin space is left is rude. Requesting someone else's seat, regardless of how politely it is done, is an imposition to satisfy wants, not needs. It's no better than panhandling.

I don't care if it's like for like ( and anecdotally, it has never been even like for like. The closest I came was an offer for aisle to aisle..but seeing as the seat they were offering was next to a COS..and behind a toddler, it really wasn't). I still have to get up and move my stuff to accommodate grown adults who just don't want to sit apart. If there are kids involved, get the FA to make me move.
Sounds good to me - so you wouldn't want anyone to help you no matter the circumstances, right ?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Sounds good to me - so you wouldn't want anyone to help you no matter the circumstances, right ?
Hyperbole.

It depends completely on the circumstances. And the circumstance of a flight doesn't live up to it.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic check

While FTers like to use analogies, let's return to the seat swap request while on UA flights discussion.
And remember it is fine to disagree but refrain from making personal comments or necessarily believing that everyone will come to the same point of view. None owns the only right answer.
Sometimes it is better to accept to disagree and move on.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dalehill

Yeah, I didn’t say I thought people have to move around. I said the reason for the ask may have less to do with marriage and more to do with four arms vs. two with a 3-year-old. People seem to jump to the conclusion that the reason for the ask was all about couples not being able to bear a few hours of separation. I said if it were me, it wouldn’t be that at all. It would be having someone to hold my tomato juice while I help the kid unwrap his sandwich.
Even without kids--my wife is simply too short to use the overheads. There's a lot less hassle if we are together.

Also, on TPACs we sit AB--she will turn at an angle so she's against the corner between the seat and the wall and put her legs on mine to sleep. That wouldn't work if it was anyone else there.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Hyperbole..
Bolding mine based on the first post quoted in this post. The irony

It's a simple ask. It's not panhandling for crikey's sake . If you don't want to move, then the answer is a simple no thank you. But it's not the end of the world/a major imposition for a simple ask. Geesh. I've been asked before many times. Sometimes I say yes, sometimes I say no (depends on seat, like to like swap, length of flight, attitude of person asking, etc). I do agree w/ others if the answer is no, don't badger the person. I think I've only asked 3 times in many years of flying & it wasn't because I hadn't planned properly but found out a close friend was on the flight when we ran into each other in the boarding area - my asks were like to like & if the person I asked had said no, I would have been fine w/ that. No muss, no fuss, no drama. When I'm asked by others there's usually no drama either. As I mentioned, sometimes I say yes; sometimes I say no. If I say no (getting back to thread title itself), no I don't feel like a jerk for saying no.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

if I offered you my seat in first to sit next to my wife in e+ would you really be pissed at me for asking?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Bolding mine based on the first post quoted in this post. The irony

It's a simple ask. It's not panhandling for crikey's sake . If you don't want to move, then the answer is a simple no thank you. But it's not the end of the world/a major imposition for a simple ask. Geesh. I've been asked before many times. Sometimes I say yes, sometimes I say no (depends on seat, like to like swap, length of flight, attitude of person asking, etc). I do agree w/ others if the answer is no, don't badger the person. I think I've only asked 3 times in many years of flying & it wasn't because I hadn't planned properly but found out a close friend was on the flight when we ran into each other in the boarding area - my asks were like to like & if the person I asked had said no, I would have been fine w/ that. No muss, no fuss, no drama. When I'm asked by others there's usually no drama either. As I mentioned, sometimes I say yes; sometimes I say no. If I say no (getting back to thread title itself), no I don't feel like a jerk for saying no.

Cheers.
It's not that simple. It never is in the reality of the cabin compared to the theoretical of the internet . A simple no never gets a satisfied response. What you get instead is indignity, demanding an explanation, name calling, and being made into a bad guy. It is more polite to mind your own business and take what you are given then foist an awkward, unsolicited interaction upon someone who is in their rightful seat.

If you want to displace someone for your own wants, you are starting from a place of selfishness. You covet what someone else has, and probably selected and paid for.

Originally Posted by jp12687

if I offered you my seat in first to sit next to my wife in e+ would you really be pissed at me for asking?
Of course not. Nor would I think the lottery is a tax on stupidity if I won. But this has never happened to me, and with rare exceptions here and there, to anyone else.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not that simple. It never is in the reality of the cabin compared to the theoretical of the internet . A simple no never gets a satisfied response. What you get instead is indignity, demanding an explanation, name calling, and being made into a bad guy. It is more polite to mind your own business and take what you are given then foist an awkward, unsolicited interaction upon someone who is in their rightful seat.

If you want to displace someone for your own wants, you are starting from a place of selfishness. You covet what someone else has, and probably selected and paid for.
Is that how you treat someone who asks you? I really don't get why you feel this way. Did you ask once and get treated like that so now you think no one should ever ask? I have never in my 20+ years of very frequent travel seen that done to anyone who asked someone or had it done to me or done it to anyone who asked. I am trying to understand why you have such disdain about this subject.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Is that how you treat someone who asks you? I really don't get why you feel this way. Did you ask once and get treated like that so now you think no one should ever ask? I have never in my 20+ years of very frequent travel seen that done to anyone who asked someone or had it done to me or done it to anyone who asked. I am trying to understand why you have such disdain about this subject.
While I don’t agree with Proudelistist 100% that nobody should EVER ask, I have certainty been treated that way when refusing a seat change request. Ask me once. If I refuse, be gone with you. The conversation has ended!

Writing this just now from 2A on DFW-ORD. The woman in front of me boarded early with her husband, before GS or military was called (does this mean non rev? Or just the biggest DYKWIA GS?). When the man who had a BP for 1A boarded, she TOLD him to sit in 3A.
He meekly complied. She is sooo lucky it wasn’t me.

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala

While I don’t agree with Proudelistist 100% that nobody should EVER ask, I have certainty been treated that way when refusing a seat change request. Ask me once. If I refuse, be gone with you. The conversation has ended!

Writing this just now from 2A on DFW-ORD. The woman in front of me boarded early with her husband, before GS or military was called (does this mean non rev? Or just the biggest DYKWIA GS?). When the man who had a BP for 1A boarded, she TOLD him to sit in 3A.
He meekly complied. She is sooo lucky it wasn’t me.

Guess I should make myself clearer, what I said pertains to me. Didn't mean to imply it never happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.