Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by stampchez
I ended up purchasing Premier Access on her reservation for $24. Maybe that will work. We’ll see!
Did it work?
Old May 20, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Did it work?
will let you know in August
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I will be flying J UA award BKK-CDG on TG and CDG-SFO on UA in Jan next year, connection time is 2 hours 20 minutes, can I get Access 1 card in advance from TG for security line fast track? If TG arrival on time I may have 1 hour for breakfast and shower ( if I'm lucky to get the slot) and at least 30 minutes for duty free shopping in T1 and 50 minutes for security to gate? One sure thing I have no need to go through immigration, right?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: OnePass, RIP. Mileage Plus - 1K. Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond.
You guys scared the bejesus out of me, so I was at CDG three hours early for the 9:45 am UA 56 to EWR. Turned out to be one of the more pleasant big-airport experiences in my 40 years of flying. I am a *G but it did not matter. I did OLCI and got to the Star Alliance lounge literally as fast as I could walk. Had breakfast in the lounge's outdoor "smoking area" which was deserted, enjoying last sips of good coffee on a cool Parisian morning. I am convinced that the variability of reports on CDG Terminal 1 are due to size of crowds at the Terminal - it was pretty light this morning. Security was super-fast as well - maybe 10 ppl in the line. Terminal 1 itself is pretty awesome - straight from the Jetsons (, a must-see for any architecture buff. But I can see how it may be unable to handle large crowds, making the whole experience unpleasant. A word of caution - it is possible to spend too much time in the (otherwise crummy) lounge, forgetting that there is security just before the gates, and get squeezed. The lounge is NOT airside, it is in no-man's land between passport control and security.

Last edited by onepassjunkie; Jul 28, 2018 at 12:27 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
For the most part, I have always managed to make connections in CDG quickly, but on the same day, a few hours later, coworkers have had nightmarish times.
Actually had one with a 1 hour connection. I made it through passport control, switched terminals and got to my gate before it even started boarding.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
transit time at CDG: UA intl Arrival, AF domestic

How much transit time at CDG should I allow between a UA morning arrival 10:30 ex-US and an AF domestic flight?

Have to allow for late flight, customs (US passport) baggage (carryon) and any terminal transfer

Thanks in advance! I haven't flown into CDG in years and a last minute change made the first meeting away from Paris
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Only you can judge your tolerance for a late-arriving flight, but as to the other issues: 10:30am is a pretty slack arrival time. Immigration should be quite quick, allow 30 minutes absolute max. Terminal transfer from 1 to 2 on CDGVAL train, another 20 minutes max. Security at T2, say another 30 minutes. So your time from arrival to being at your departure gate should be well under 1:20. To that you need to add the amount of time you want to be at the gate before the flight departs and the amount of time you want to add to allow for a late arrival into CDG. If I was on a single ticket, I would look for an interval between flights of 2:30. But if on separate tickets, I would be looking at at least another hour added to that.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I did something similar in May and actually found the transfer quite confusing. My French is quite limited 4 years in high school 30 years ago so if you are fluent may not be such an issue. My friend arriving from Australia had similar issues but her French is non existant.

There was construction going on and very few people doing the same transfer so at times I actually thought I was going the wrong way.

Security was quick but not many people so again questioning myself if I were in the right place. I was it was just so empty for the terminal of Air France.

AF flights are notoriously late and the lounge is very nice if you need to wait.

I had allowed myself 5 hours as separate tickets and was glad as the arriving flight was delayed. Then my departing flight was delayed so ended up not needing the padding in the schedule.

Doing a repeat of the trip through CDG next May.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Here is the official description: CDG Transfer T1-T2

I would agree 2.5 hours is the bare minimum. Consider buying a flexible AF ticket.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The problem I find is CDG T1 immigration is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes I’m the only one going through so zero wait, sometimes the lines are incredibly long. I’ve had colleagues wait over 1.5 hours before. If you can get a No 1 pass that helps a lot. The transfer via CDGVAL tram to T2 is pretty easy.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Depending on where you're going in France, it might be more convenient to just hop the TGV, which stops in Terminal 2.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
If you fly business class, United will give you a fast pass. You can also try to sweet talk a FA into giving you one. Accès no.1 is the sign you should look for. That will cut 30 minutes out of immigration. 3 hours is probably sufficient amount of layover time in CDG. As others have mentioned, it's a little confusing for first timers. I've lived there and speak French but I still find the airport confusing.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Beware - last time I went through CDG the immigration line took about a minute to get through and the baggage took over an hour to begin to come ut. As someone else said, on a single ticket 2.5 hours would likely be enough. On separate tickets I'd add at least another hour because you'll have to find the ticket counter for your departing flight and meet the baggage cutoff deadline (which is likely at least 60 minutes).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Beware - last time I went through CDG the immigration line took about a minute to get through and the baggage took over an hour to begin to come ut. As someone else said, on a single ticket 2.5 hours would likely be enough. On separate tickets I'd add at least another hour because you'll have to find the ticket counter for your departing flight and meet the baggage cutoff deadline (which is likely at least 60 minutes).
I think the OP said it was carryon bags only. With web check in, he should be able to get the boarding pass on line and bypass counter check in. Sounds like if all the planets are aligned, transfer can be done within 90 minutes, maybe less. But that is optimistic.

I would recommend the OP have a flexible fare on AF so that he can change the connecting flight without penalty. Then go for the tighter departure.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
D'h - I did miss the "(carryon)" and only saw "baggage"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.