Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HMMMMM. A couple weeks ago (but after the Paris attacks), I did not take my shoes off for security in CDG T2 before a DL flight to the USA.

On that day passport control was an enormous mess (about an hour for the business class SkyPriority line and I would guess close to three hours for nonelites in coach), but security was quick and easy, with on one in front of me in the SkyPriority lane.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
My drill at CDG T1:
  1. Check in with person to get a purple Access1 card (assuming you are *G or premium cabin)
  2. After getting off inclined people mover at passport control, look for purple Access1 signs to direct you to the preferred line. This will almost always save you a lot of time versus the regular line.
  3. Visit lounge or shop duty-free.
  4. Check mobile app to ensure that airplane is there and that it is still listed as "on time." Assuming this is case, leave the lounge for the gate no later than one hour before scheduled departure time. Do this regardless of whether the flight has been announced in the lounge or what it says on the information screens.
  5. Go to gate. When arrive at the serpentine for security, look to see whether the line associated with Access1 is shorter than the regular line. If the regular line is shorter take that one, otherwise take Access1.
  6. Get frisked, and go to gate. Figure out how they have arranged line 1 vs. line 2, etc. and get on the appropriate line. Assuming the plane is there, boarding will typically begin between 45 minutes and 1 hour before departure.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by seenitall
My drill at CDG T1:
  1. Check in with person to get a purple Access1 card (assuming you are *G or premium cabin)
  2. After getting off inclined people mover at passport control, look for purple Access1 signs to direct you to the preferred line. This will almost always save you a lot of time versus the regular line.
  3. Visit lounge or shop duty-free.
  4. Check mobile app to ensure that airplane is there and that it is still listed as "on time." Assuming this is case, leave the lounge for the gate no later than one hour before scheduled departure time. Do this regardless of whether the flight has been announced in the lounge or what it says on the information screens.
  5. Go to gate. When arrive at the serpentine for security, look to see whether the line associated with Access1 is shorter than the regular line. If the regular line is shorter take that one, otherwise take Access1.
  6. Get frisked, and go to gate. Figure out how they have arranged line 1 vs. line 2, etc. and get on the appropriate line. Assuming the plane is there, boarding will typically begin between 45 minutes and 1 hour before departure.
Yep, that's the routine, but I wouldn't the United App listing a "delay" without looking further into it. I've seen a number of "delayed" posting times change to something considerably-earlier. Of course, nobody wants to spend more time in that dump of a gate area known as Terminal 1 Gates 40-49.

Probably posted further upthread (thanks for the merge) is the fact that United's check-in area is Hall 3.

Note that Access1 at the gate was totally useless yesterday. The line was much shorter, but it simply wasn't moving. The automated access box was beeping incessantly and not letting anyone through (because there was nobody there to tell people that the automated gate wouldn't work if it was crowded and people were standing on the mat). Plus both lines merge into the same (and yesterday, just ONE!) metal detector/luggage scanner. The other looked fully operational (green lights, must be good!) but not staffed.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HMMMMM. A couple weeks ago (but after the Paris attacks), I did not take my shoes off for security in CDG T2 before a DL flight to the USA.

On that day passport control was an enormous mess (about an hour for the business class SkyPriority line and I would guess close to three hours for nonelites in coach), but security was quick and easy, with on one in front of me in the SkyPriority lane.
Passport line was non-existant at 7am. Seriously, must have been 5 people in front of us.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 16, 2015 at 9:28 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Do they still hand out the "Accès no.1" card at check in? I flew LH a couple of years ago (in J to FRA) but don't recall getting such a card.

Also, my wife, (infant) daughter and I are on the 9:25AM flight to EWR (UA 56) on 1/1. I'm hoping traffic won't be a big deal out of Central Paris (we're staying near the Opera), so planning to leave by cab at 7:00AM. We will definitely be checking in bags...Does this give us enough time? We're all in J, and my wife is also 1k FWIW.

Thanks...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
Do they still hand out the "Accès no.1" card at check in? I flew LH a couple of years ago (in J to FRA) but don't recall getting such a card.

Also, my wife, (infant) daughter and I are on the 9:25AM flight to EWR (UA 56) on 1/1. I'm hoping traffic won't be a big deal out of Central Paris (we're staying near the Opera), so planning to leave by cab at 7:00AM. We will definitely be checking in bags...Does this give us enough time? We're all in J, and my wife is also 1k FWIW.

Thanks...
Answer would be 7:00 for me, and about 6:30am for my wife....so we leave at 6:45am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
The cards aren't used much anymore. Just scan your BP at the Access No. 1 gate and it will open if you are eligible (which you will be, flying in business class.)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Two weeks ago, it was an Access1 card that I was given, and that I used at the wicket to enter the passport line.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks, all. We'll make sure to ask for the card when we check in.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Overnight Layover at CDG

Hi All,

I have a trip in April where I have a 1720hrs arrival at CDG->overnight->UA flight leaving at 1005hrs to SFO.

Ideas for the layover?

I see the Sheraton in T2, not sure how adventurous I will feel to venture outside of the airport for a 17 hr layover.

Any experiences or tips on this time, i.e. book the hotel room, use a lounge, etc?

*Will be my first time through CDG.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would go into the city. That's plenty of time to enjoy a night in Paris.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Having stayed at the CDG Sheraton 2 nights in a row (see my signature below), it's a nice place to stay, with easy access to the airport terminal.
The Sheraton club lounge has hot appetizers and complimentary wine. However, you are better off taking the train into the city and enjoy the sights.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are a number of relevant threads in the France Forum, such as

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...overnight.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...n-cdg-ory.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...night-cdg.html

and more
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Security lines

Any recent experiences ex-CDG since Brussels problems? I have the 10am sfo departure and would appreciate knowing if it's been the regular mess, or a really messy mess......
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Lounges in CDG?

Next week I'm flying Business/First from SFO to CDG, with a 3.5 hr connect time before going to ARN in SAS economy. Is there an arrivals lounge at CDG I can use for a shower and a quick nap? Or should I just use one of the *A lounges that have showers (I'm 1K)? Recommendations as to which lounges are best are appreciated--I've not flown into CDG in a long time...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:26 pm

Supposedly, the Arrivals facility (actually, at the airport Sheraton, at a different terminal) is no longer available. There's conflicting info on another thread in this list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.