Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Mats
Mike Jacoubowsky,

You can take a shower upon arrival. United's contract is still with the Sheraton, so you do have to take a train (CDGVAL) to get to it. They often provide a conference room that has a shower. It's a bit odd, but it's not terribly difficult. The only inconvenience is that you have to schlep your baggage to the Sheraton.

You can ask an agent in the United Club or at the gate at your US departure airport to make sure that this happens. Sometimes they're very attentive, and they'll provide you with a card about the Sheraton. On other occasions, I've gone directly to the Sheraton with my boarding card.

On your way out, check-in can look very crowded, but it's often quite quick in the Business and Global First lines. In fact, I've never had to wait longer than few minutes.

There line for passport control is usually quick, even if there is a line.

The Star Alliance lounge is dark, often busy, but it's still nicer than anything in the US. There are plenty of shower rooms there. (You can only access it as a departing passenger.) The upstairs section is for first class only. It's less crowded, but it has no showers and no other noteworthy benefits.

In my experience, the United, Alyzia, and contract security staff who handle the United check in and gates are incredibly friendly. I've never had a bad experience in the past decade.

Terminal 1 is pretty disgusting, but I find the staff to be exceptionally friendly. Just think of it as some sort of time machine.

It's true that security can be backed up. Just go to the far right and scan your business class boarding card. An automatic gate will open, allowing you to bypass some of the line. Again, there might be a line but it goes quickly. Just remember to take out all electronics and cables (iPads in particular). Again, I've never had a bad experience, and a major portion of my family in Paris. I fly there fairly often, and it's almost always been on United.

Bon voyage!
Thanks for the info re: The Sheraton. Didn't know they had such an arrangement. Is it part of a fitness studio?

Regarding CDG in general, I'm pretty familiar with it, having transited through 15, 20, who knows how many times? I've gotten to the point where I kinda enjoy it, my visit to an airport designed by Escher. And familiar with both standard and FC lounges from trips as a Plat & 1K as well as award trip in F. And you're right on all points.

Regarding lines, ohmygosh CDG would be a dreadful place without status! That, and IAD, are two places where status makes the difference between getting through quickly and a dreadful experience.

OK, here's a question. You'd think I'd know the answer to this after so many trips. How much time from landing to TGV station? Thanks again-
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:34 am

Hi Mike,

Once you've cleared pp and customs and have made your way to the CDGVAL shuttle train, it takes you less then 10 mins (trainride and walk to the TGV station).

Does anyone know whether the refurb of the *A lounge at CDG has been completed? On their website it says "refurb from 16Feb until approx. 11Apr"...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I have a question for the experts.

I booked a same day turn ORD-CDG-ORD in the recent business class fare sale. ORD-CDG arrives at 0925 and CDG-ORD departs at 1115.

Will I need to go through immigration or will I be able to stay in transit?

According to this link http://www.easycdg.com/1/passenger-i...s-cdg-airport/ it looks like I can stay in transit, but I wanted to check with those more familiar with CDG.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:48 am

Yup, you can absolutely stay in transit (assuming no bags).

When you come out of the tunnel from the terminal pods you'll be directly in front of the line for immigration. It has a bunch of fake plants making a barrier.

Simply don't go in that line.

At this point, you're in the international departures area with Duty Free shops and all. Assuming you want to head to the *A lounge, just hang a left and you'll find the lounge elevators directly across from the departing immigration booths. All of a 45 second walk at a dazed pace.

About the only worthwhile place to go in T1 outside of immigration is the Starbucks, which isn't offered inside the international zone. Should you decide you want to head out, I'd actually just wait a tiny bit for the immigration arrivals line to die down. Then you can exit in all of 30 seconds.

(From a weekly CDG-er)

Last edited by mymiles2go; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:06 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 31, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by CJ99
Does PremierAccess entitle one to Acces 1? I'll have PremierAccess via the United Club Card since I no longer have status.

And on a similar note, does a United Club membership grant access to the *A lounge at CDG? If so, do the usual rules apply (member plus immediate family)? .bomb refers you to the *A website, which is vague on this.

Thanks
Sorry to BUMP....

But can anyone answer these questions for an upcoming flight?

TiA.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
How does one obtain a access 1 pass for arrivals at CDG? is this possible?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by jasonp622
If you're in J they should give you one on the plane. But for arrivals it doesn't really matter. Unless an Africa or Middle East flight got in just before you, immigration is very quick.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I am on a P fare but routing from sfo-iad, Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CJ99
Sorry to BUMP....

But can anyone answer these questions for an upcoming flight?

TiA.
A United Club membership gives you reciprocal access to the Star Alliance network lounges, so yes -- you should be able to get in.

However, the guest rules don't apply. The "members of the immediate family" rule is specific to United. It's a bit of a grey area but I'm afraid you can't bring any guests at all. Business class would entitle you to 1 guest and Star Gold to two.

Do tell us how things work out for you.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pat+
A United Club membership gives you reciprocal access to the Star Alliance network lounges, so yes -- you should be able to get in.

However, the guest rules don't apply. The "members of the immediate family" rule is specific to United. It's a bit of a grey area but I'm afraid you can't bring any guests at all. Business class would entitle you to 1 guest and Star Gold to two. ....
*G only get 1 guest @ *A lounges and you are correct family access is only for UC members @ UCs.

Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by Pat+

However, the guest rules don't apply. The "members of the immediate family" rule is specific to United. It's a bit of a grey area but I'm afraid you can't bring any guests at all. Business class would entitle you to 1 guest and Star Gold to two.

Do tell us how things work out for you.
We never got to try the lounge as the line for outbound passport control was horrendous.

Acces 1 would have been very helpful here, but it was denied to me by the checkin agent. All in all, the Club Card benefits were pretty meager at CDG.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: United Gold
we had no problem getting Access 1 for 5 travelers on our July P fare sale trip..

but there was a really long line to get through "Secondary security" (the little station right outside of United's pod of gates in the terminal. There was the unwashed masses snake line, and the Access 1 line. But since there were 3 flights leaving around the same time, and the line was long, they kept bumping up people in the next departing flight. oh, and only one conveyor was in use. There were some really frazzled travelers.

anyway, don't forget these secondary lines, esp for those of you looking to kill time in the lounge. a very upset (but quite pleasant in tone) GS came up to the end of the long line pretty close to his flight, tried to elbow his way through before realizing we were all waiting for the same flight. He was on the phone with GS telling them what was up, and asking to be protected on the next flight. Of course they held the plane for the many people in line..
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jasonp622
I didn't get it last Friday, EWR-CDG P-fare, 1k. The purser made several announcements about no landing cards required. Immigration was a breeze, and so was CDGVAL to the RER station into Paris.

Re: check-in staff for UA @ CDG: I had a very positive experience on Monday where I arrived at 60 min cutoff and they tried a few things to get my bag checked. In the end i dumped some liquids and took it as carry on. They did chase after me to give me the Access No. 1 card, though (which was not required since the lines were short - perhaps because I was "late"). YMMV.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
I didn't get it last Friday, EWR-CDG P-fare, 1k. The purser made several announcements about no landing cards required. Immigration was a breeze, and so was CDGVAL to the RER station into Paris.

Re: check-in staff for UA @ CDG: I had a very positive experience on Monday where I arrived at 60 min cutoff and they tried a few things to get my bag checked. In the end i dumped some liquids and took it as carry on. They did chase after me to give me the Access No. 1 card, though (which was not required since the lines were short - perhaps because I was "late"). YMMV.
There is really no fast track or access on arrival. One immigration line for EU and one for others. The Access pas works for departure at CDg - for passport check and security before boarding gates....
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
How is the transfer between Terminal 1 (UA arrivals) and Terminal 3 departures these days? Is 2:10 likely to be a long enough connection to pull this off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.