Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cancels/MX my award flight,refuses to book another airline in biz (eventually did)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cancels/MX my award flight,refuses to book another airline in biz (eventually did)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:19 am
Original Poster

United cancelled my AKL LAX flight for Jan 15. Booked Polaris with points. Air NZ has a AKL SFO flight with 17 biz class seats but UA refuses to book me in biz or premium Econ, only economy. No status. Is this par for the course?!? What type of compensation can I expect for downgrade to economy? I’m heading back to PHX.

My other option is to book premium Econ on AA for 72K miles and cancel United. I’d get my points back but what else to expect? How else to handle this, they’ve put me on hold for like 45 minutes and it’s painful….
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
They can’t downgrade you! The flight was cancelled due to mechanical issue. It’s on UA to get you to the US in the original ticketed cabin which in your case is Polaris Business. I’d call again and ask. If they still push back file a complaint with the DOT.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
United cancelled my AKL LAX flight for Jan 15. Booked Polaris with points. Air NZ has a AKL SFO flight with 17 biz class seats but UA refuses to book me in biz or premium Econ, only economy. No status. Is this par for the course?!?
No -- par for the course would be for them to refuse to re-accommodate you on a partner airline at all, especially when you book with points. At one point there was a Star Alliance policy document that said they needed to re-accommodate business class travelers, but that document appears to have been excised from the internet.

What type of compensation can I expect for downgrade to economy?
A refund of the difference in fare, and maybe a small travel credit for the inconvenience.

My other option is to book premium Econ on AA for 72K miles and cancel United. I’d get my points back but what else to expect? How else to handle this, they’ve put me on hold for like 45 minutes and it’s painful….
What else to expect? What else would you want?

Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
They can’t downgrade you!
I mean, of course they can.

It’s on UA to get you to the US in the original ticketed cabin which in your case is Polaris Business.
Sure, in the next available UA seat.

If they still push back file a complaint with the DOT.
To what end? I mean, you don't really need to be correct to complain, but filing a DOT complaint just wastes people's time. The rule you seem to want the DOT to enforce doesn't exist.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You should have your pick of any available UA J seat within the next several days, but unfortunately reaccommodation on any other airline in J, including alliance partner NZ, is quite unlikely. You can keep HUCAing to see if you'll find an agent who'll put you on the NZ flight in J, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, there are arguably bad and unethical business practices at play, but until/unless there's a law requiring UA to rebook you on any airline in J, it will likely get away with its current practices.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
This is another example of why we need a customer bill of rights for airline travel. It is awful you bought a product and United just refuses to honor what you paid for even with miles. What a scam! There should be protections for the customer that United has to rebook you in the same class on any airline that has available seats especially for a mechanical that is their issue.

I don't think they will do much. This is the problems with mergers. We have less choice and United has very little incentive to treat you well. I would still complain to the DOT so it is recorded.
jordyn, IggySD, rjburns and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You have several options, including flying via MEL/SYD/BNE as UA will keep you in J on their own metal. J1 will be good enough!

As others stated, UA will unlikely reaccomodate you OAL in J on an award ticket.
jsloan, narvik, JPG3392 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA916 AKL-SFO on Jan. 16 is J1. On Jan. 17 it's J9. I'd cut the drama and just ask UA to rebook me in J on one of those. If you must be on a flight on Jan. 15, you're probably going to have to accept rebooking in economy.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
What a scam!
Would be nice if United (and other airlines) rebooked on OAL in J in these situations, but "scam"?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...My other option is to book premium Econ on AA for 72K miles and cancel United.….
If that's realistically the most comfortable available to you (which sounds like it is), I'd go that path. Then just get a refund of miles taxes/fees for the AKL-LAX segment from UA.
John Portland likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
They wouldn't do it for me as a 1K a few months ago and, to be honest, NZ's biz product sucks. I found space on AA in J and flew home with them for around 2.8K. I didn't know that one way fares had become reasonable for international flights and was pleasantly surprised.
HNL1K likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
This is another example of why we need a customer bill of rights for airline travel.
Yeah, EU 261 for the US would be nice.

If next day was available on UA in Polaris, I think that's reasonable. I would have pushed for NZ J too, though - I don't blame the OP. Isn't AKL-SFO a JV route for NZ/UA?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AKL-SFO is indeed a JV route for NZ/UA, but that doesn't seem to really matter. I'm sure there are several reports of UA denying rebooking onto LH, NH, etc. premium cabins during irrops.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Would be nice if United (and other airlines) rebooked on OAL in J in these situations, but "scam"?
Yes... airlines get away with nonsense that anywhere else in the real world would be looked at as a "scam."

Imagine for a moment you booked a luxury SUV airport transfer and the company called you up a day or so before and told you "the luxury SUV is broken, we're sending you a Toyota Corolla the following day."
sports1 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
AKL-SFO is indeed a JV route for NZ/UA, but that doesn't seem to really matter. I'm sure there are several reports of UA denying rebooking onto LH, NH, etc. premium cabins during irrops.
If the government ever wants to really look harder at these airline JVs, this is one area they could insist on for changing. Passengers should be treated as if all airlines in a particular JV are one airline, especially in IRROP situations.
jordyn, seanp7, rjburns and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:46 am

Doesn't United have to pay for Food and lodging until a viable solution that you are happy with is settled? If you could file a DOT complaint and a complaint to Christopher Elliott's team at Elliott.Org . The best is to book yourself with cash in Business or First Class and send the receipts to Christopher Elliott's team

I'll give you an example. I bought Business Class on Amtrak's Coast Starlight last year and they eliminated it. I asked Amtrak to upgrade me not downgrade me and they refused. By writing to Christopher Elliott's team Amtrak gave me a Roomette on the overnight portion . I was happy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2024 at 11:54 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.