Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cancels/MX my award flight,refuses to book another airline in biz (eventually did)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cancels/MX my award flight,refuses to book another airline in biz (eventually did)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
Call up again and GENTLY BE PERSISTENT.
On NOV 28, 2023 12 hours before flight, my SYD-LAX arriving 6:00AM in J using points was cancelled.
They re-booked me on UA via SFO and had me arriving LAX at 11:00AM.
I already had a Limo set to pick me up at LAX at 7:30 for a 2 hour ride to a hospital.
The agent at first said "You don't expect us to re-book you on another airline, do you? You're only delayed by 5 hours..."
I answered "Yes, I do. QF arrives at 6:00AM LAX and I'd like you to put me on that flight. May be you are unable to do it, can you speak to a supervisor please?
I know I am asking for a favor but I have be at LAX to get that LImo to take me directly to a hospital." ALL THIS WAS TRUE.
15 minutes later..".Mr. Luv2fly1st you are booked on QF in J arriving 6AM LAX"
Me "Thank you very much, I REALLY appreciate your help and re-booking me on that flight."
SO if its not too late, try again. That's my advice. It's possible my status on UA (1K) helped, but I don't know that for sure.
travelingdrsuz likes this.

Last edited by luv2fly1st; Jan 14, 2024 at 11:57 am Reason: corrected grammar
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danielonn
Doesn't United have to pay for Food and lodging until a viable solution that you are happy with is settled? If you could file a DOT complaint and a complaint to Christopher Elliott's team at Elliott.Org . The best is to book yourself with cash in Business or First Class and send the receipts to Christopher Elliott's team
Yes, UA will reimburse food and lodging (within reason) - that's in the CoC - but they are not going to reimburse OP for a business class ticket on another airline.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
Call up again and GENTLY BE PERSISTENT.
On NOV 28,2023 12 hours before flight, my SYD-LAX arriving 6:00AM in J using points was cancelled.
They re-booked me via SFO and had me arriving LAX at 11:00AM.
I already had a Limo set to pick me up at LAX at 7:30 for a 2 hour ride to a hospital.
The agent at first said "You don't expect us to re-book you on another airline, do you? You're only delayed by 5 hours..."
I answered "Yes, I do. QF 11 arrives at 6:00AM LAX and I'd like you to put me on that flight. May be you are unable to do it, can you speak to a supervisor please? I know I am asking for a favor but I have be at LAX to get that LImo to take me directly to a hospital." ALL THIS WAS TRUE.
15 minutes later..".Mr. XXX your booked on QF in J arriviing 6AM LAX"
Me "Thank you very much, I REALLY appreciate your help and re-booking me on that flight."
SO if its not too late, try again. That's my advice. It's possible my status on UA helped, but I don't know that for sure.
I will say this is the (extreme?) exception to the norm, and it may take several HUCAs and ultimately a cooperative agent/supervisor to achieve a similar outcome for the OP.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
This is another example of why we need a customer bill of rights for airline travel. It is awful you bought a product and United just refuses to honor what you paid for even with miles. ...United has to rebook you in the same class on any airline that has available seats especially for a mechanical that is their issue.
A customer bill of rights won't solve that issue, because UA already has such a policy. You can have all the policies in the world but if your agents make up their own reasoning and doesn't follow those. An EU261-sque customer bill of rights isn't going to suddenly make agents read/implement policies appropriately (see: LH irrops handling).

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If the government ever wants to really look harder at these airline JVs, this is one area they could insist on for changing. Passengers should be treated as if all airlines in a particular JV are one airline, especially in IRROP situations.
UA basically does, their policy is even in uncontrollable IRROPs if it results in an overnight they will reacom on JV partners in JV markets. See above about agent's acually implementing that though.

Basically no matter what part of the policy they read, OP should have been eligible for rebooking on NZ - uncontrollable IRROPs on JV? Yep; uncontrollable IRROPs for J pax? Yep; controllable IRROPs? Yep. IRROPs for premier member? Probably (don't see a premier status listed)

SPN Lifer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fly2nrt

Imagine for a moment you booked a luxury SUV airport transfer and the company called you up a day or so before and told you "the luxury SUV is broken, we're sending you a Toyota Corolla the following day."
If the company advised me in advance:

"Sorry, the luxury SUV you booked unfortunately broke down. We can either offer you:
1) to wait until we can send another luxury SUV as soon as it becomes availabe
2) have our rival company pick you up in their Toyota Corolla and have them take you to your destination"

...and I'd have a potential option of asking for:

"Can your rival company take me with their Toyota Corolla for a short drive to just outside the airport, where I could take your luxury SUV to my original destination (AKL-SYD-LAX, or AKL-MEL-LAX), or could your luxury SUV take me, that is going to very close to my destination, and then drive me for the short final distance with your Toyota Corolla (AKL-SFO-LAX)?"

I think I'd be okay with that. Not overly happy mind you, but okay.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
A customer bill of rights won't solve that issue, because UA already has such a policy. You can have all the policies in the world but if your agents make up their own reasoning and doesn't follow those. An EU261-sque customer bill of rights isn't going to suddenly make agents read/implement policies appropriately (see: LH irrops handling).

UA basically does, their policy is even in uncontrollable IRROPs if it results in an overnight they will reacom on JV partners in JV markets. See above about agent's acually implementing that though.

Basically no matter what part of the policy they read, OP should have been eligible for rebooking on NZ - uncontrollable IRROPs on JV? Yep; uncontrollable IRROPs for J pax? Yep; controllable IRROPs? Yep. IRROPs for premier member? Probably (don't see a premier status listed)

Policies can be changed at any time and practices can be (and are) variable. Requirements for anti-trust immunity are entirely different.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jan 14, 2024 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:31 pm
J S

Not very kind

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd cut the drama
Can we be a bit more kind?
IggySD and HAF like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
I love Flyertalk.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
United cancelled my AKL LAX flight for Jan 15. Booked Polaris with points. Air NZ has a AKL SFO flight with 17 biz class seats but UA refuses to book me in biz or premium Econ, only economy. No status. Is this par for the course?!? What type of compensation can I expect for downgrade to economy? I’m heading back to PHX.

My other option is to book premium Econ on AA for 72K miles and cancel United. I’d get my points back but what else to expect? How else to handle this, they’ve put me on hold for like 45 minutes and it’s painful….
Please report back on what ultimately UA does for you.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
United cancelled my AKL LAX flight for Jan 15. Booked Polaris with points. Air NZ has a AKL SFO flight with 17 biz class seats but UA refuses to book me in biz or premium Econ, only economy. No status. Is this par for the course?!? What type of compensation can I expect for downgrade to economy? I’m heading back to PHX.

My other option is to book premium Econ on AA for 72K miles and cancel United. I’d get my points back but what else to expect? How else to handle this, they’ve put me on hold for like 45 minutes and it’s painful….

UA has to rebook in Business class - but you may not like their option - if you want a different option but they say "Sure - but economy only" and you say "Fine" at that point it was VOLUNTARY and you are owed nothing - so be careful what you ask for and agree to.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[removed by moderator]

Doesn't United have to pay for Food and lodging until a viable solution that you are happy with is settled?
Within reason, sure. But OP would not be able to turn down a J seat on UA for the following day and then expect UA to pay for their hotel until they were “happy.”

If you could file a DOT complaint and a complaint to Christopher Elliott's team at Elliott.Org . The best is to book yourself with cash in Business or First Class and send the receipts to Christopher Elliott's team
This is possibly the worst advice I’ve ever seen on FlyerTalk. You’re gambling thousands of dollars of somebody else’s money in the hopes that a business class customer being delayed a day is a story that will resonate with a consumer protection advocate, and with UA, despite the fact that most people will never fly international J in their life. Sure, this might work. But it might also just result in UA adding an extra $100 to their voucher.
SPN Lifer, mduell and hhdl like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2024 at 4:33 pm Reason: OT political comment
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines seem to be an interesting outlier where people expect the carrier to put you on another airline subject to whatever desires the pax has at the time of rebooking. Is there another industry like this? If your account gets the flu is there a bill of rights that says he has to get the account of your choice from a third company on your file?

I agree it's desirable for the airlines to do this from a customer service perspective, but it's not clear that it leads to systemic benefits that outweigh the costs to legislate it, just like people want a bill of rights that guarantees larger seats in economy, but most economy passengers' revealed preferences are for the cheapest possible fare. Remember AA removed MRTC when they found that passengers were not willing to pay.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by J S
Can we be a bit more kind?
I was referring generically to the drama of fighting with the airline over rebooking, but appreciate the sentiment.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
OP; have you gotten resolution on your flight(s)?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Doppy
Airlines seem to be an interesting outlier where people expect the carrier to put you on another airline subject to whatever desires the pax has at the time of rebooking. Is there another industry like this? If your account gets the flu is there a bill of rights that says he has to get the account of your choice from a third company on your file?

I agree it's desirable for the airlines to do this from a customer service perspective, but it's not clear that it leads to systemic benefits that outweigh the costs to legislate it, just like people want a bill of rights that guarantees larger seats in economy, but most economy passengers' revealed preferences are for the cheapest possible fare. Remember AA removed MRTC when they found that passengers were not willing to pay.
No, we’re not just talking about “another airline” but a JV partner. They share revenue and all sorts of data with each other and receive anti-trust immunity allowing them to do this. It’s not an unreasonable requirement for the airlines to re-accommodate their customers within that JV when it’s the best option for that customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.