Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Update] As of Dec. ‘23 Polaris Lounges no longer require passports to access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Update] As of Dec. ‘23 Polaris Lounges no longer require passports to access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by uanj
and distribute different IDs so multiple people could get in.
This I don't get. IDs have pictures on them.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Showing the passport at EWR Polaris lounge has been a thing for a long while.
No problem with this policy, if it prevents people from entering without a proper BP, and if United concluded this was the best way to stop that practice.

I know they want to see the passport, so always keep it handy for this very purpose.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
...everyone needs to be carrying their passport for the Polaris flights anyway.
For the flight itself, yes. However, there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access, although they will have it at the time of the flight (or vice versa -- they had it upon arrival, but no longer have it). I've had agents insist that there is "no way" I could truly be flying internationally if I didn't have my passport when I was trying to enter the lounge, yet that was exactly the case.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
For the flight itself, yes. However, there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access,
I know of one - people being deported have their passports in hold until the plane departs, at which point they receive them from the flight attendant. Somehow I doubt they represent the major population in the Polaris Lounge, but it is, of course, possible.

Care to share other scenarios?
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by vicontt
Passport is a thing at EWR. Walking by might get one in trouble, I wouldn't recommend stirring commotions in the airport.
Agree. The suggestion above to go full Karen is not a wise one.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access, although they will have it at the time of the flight (or vice versa -- they had it upon arrival, but no longer have it).
That's also true for a driver license or any other form of ID. Should they provide access for those without ID just to cover the highly unusual situation of someone not having any ID?

They explained that they have had people print two (even three!) BPs and distribute different IDs so multiple people could get in.
This I don't get. IDs have pictures on them.
I'm still not understanding the method of fraud and how requiring a passport prevents it. In addition to a picture, IDs also have a name on them. Presumably, they match the name with the ID and the BP, and the face with the ID. In order for a duplicate BP to be used by more than one person, they'd have to have the same or at least similar name, which could be the case of family members. But requiring a passport being the only form of ID doesn't prevent that. And, if the duplicate boarding passes have been altered to have a different name, then once again requiring a passport as the only form of ID doesn't solve for that either. That is, unless they are looking up the passport number on file in the computer that was used to check in and comparing that with the passport being presented, which I find hard to believe is being done manually. I suppose if they were scanning passports then this could be automated. What am I missing?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
That's also true for a driver license or any other form of ID. Should they provide access for those without ID just to cover the highly unusual situation of someone not having any ID?
In theory, they could - supposedly, some flying in Polaris is already a customer worth trying to go extra mile for? I guess, they just don't care about their customers enough. If they wanted to, an exceptional route could, of course, be created.

I'm still not understanding the method of fraud and how requiring a passport prevents it. ... What am I missing?
I guess, you do not think like a fraudster ))) Assume, persons A and B are flying together. A has lounge access, B doesn't. A prints 2 boarding passes, gives B their driving license and a BP. A enters the lounge showing the passport and first copy of BP, B shows driving license and the second copy.

Requiring a passport prevents this, but so does comparing a picture on the id with the person's face.
chrisny2 and uanj like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Showing the passport at EWR Polaris lounge has been a thing for a long while.
No problem with this policy, if it prevents people from entering without a proper BP, and if United concluded this was the best way to stop that practice.

I know they want to see the passport, so always keep it handy for this very purpose.
Well we have established the answer to my original question that this IS the policy at EWR (and others?) and not a one-off I experienced. I obviously did not know that policy so I did not keep it "handy". After Pre-Clearance at 7:00am in Dublin, I specifically thought how nice it was I didn't need my passport anymore and repacked my bag with it at the bottom and change of clothes/toiletries etc. where I needed them.

However, there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access,
The most simple would be that you are traveling with someone that is terminating at EWR while you continue on and they took your bag with them. I am thinking husband/wife and one is going home and the other has a business meeting or something. Again, probably not super common but it could happen.

I'm still not understanding the method of fraud and how requiring a passport prevents it. What am I missing?
I guess, you do not think like a fraudster ))) Assume, persons A and B are flying together. A has lounge access, B doesn't. A prints 2 boarding passes, gives B their driving license and a BP. A enters the lounge showing the passport and first copy of BP, B shows driving license and the second copy. Requiring a passport prevents this, but so does comparing a picture on the id with the person's face.
Setting aside the fact that for this to work you'd have to look alike, I assume once the second boarding pass is scanned the agent will see that that person has already checked into the club...

While I now recognize that this IS policy, I still don't understand the purpose of the policy vs. just showing any ID like at regular United Clubs; and I suppose the GA could always ask for a second form if they suspect something amiss. It wasn't a big deal, really, just a big inconvenience to have to unpack and repack my bag in the lobby of the lounge, when I am literally holding my DL and BP in my hand and the agent refuses to even consider it.

FWIW - I can't find this policy explicitly stated on the website, it states simply for both UC and Polaris locations that:
"All membership cards and boarding passes must be in the customer's name. United reserves the right to request government-issued photo identification to verify access credentials."
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Setting aside the fact that for this to work you'd have to look alike, I assume once the second boarding pass is scanned the agent will see that that person has already checked into the club...
Re: looking alike, this is my point exactly. State issued driving license is a valid form of id, bears certain requirements for the picture and is as good as a passport for identification purposes. May be UA doesn't trust their employees to exact a smallest effort and verify the picture?
Re: second boarding pass - since one is free to exit and enter the lounge as much as they like, and there is no 'check-out' process for the lounge, this won't work.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The question is which European/Asian/deep South American country allows travel without a passport.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:16 am

Re: second boarding pass - since one is free to exit and enter the lounge as much as they like, and there is no 'check-out' process for the lounge, this won't work.
Fair enough but it would at least alert the agent to look a little closer, and you'd have to leave a pretty significant gap between entering I'd think. Agee with you that they should just allow any ID to enter, and take the time to check it & verify.

In the new EWR UC with the gates you DO have to check out to exit by scanning the boarding pass, fwiw.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The question is which European/Asian/deep South American country allows travel without a passport.
No the question is are there legitimate situations where someone otherwise has access to the Polaris lounge and for some reason not access to their passport.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I know of one - people being deported have their passports in hold until the plane departs, at which point they receive them from the flight attendant. Somehow I doubt they represent the major population in the Polaris Lounge, but it is, of course, possible.

Due to a last minute international travel need, someone could head to the airport (perhaps while already on other travel), without a passport and have someone meeting them airside with it. Or upon return, someone who doesn't know a passport is required at the club could send the passport "home" with a companion while pursuing independent travel. I did say these weren't common scenarios, but they can (and have) happened.

No, because it is formally stated that a government-issued photo ID may be required.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2023 at 11:00 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Fair enough but it would at least alert the agent to look a little closer, and you'd have to leave a pretty significant gap between entering I'd think. Agee with you that they should just allow any ID to enter, and take the time to check it & verify.

In the new EWR UC with the gates you DO have to check out to exit by scanning the boarding pass, fwiw.
This is incorrect, at least for the C3 United Club. You just walk out the rightmost gate without scanning.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Stupid United rule - obviously a DL should suffice.

I wouldn't die on this hill.
txaggiemiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.