FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Update] As of Dec. ‘23 Polaris Lounges no longer require passports to access
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:35 am
txaggiemiles

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Showing the passport at EWR Polaris lounge has been a thing for a long while.
No problem with this policy, if it prevents people from entering without a proper BP, and if United concluded this was the best way to stop that practice.

I know they want to see the passport, so always keep it handy for this very purpose.
Well we have established the answer to my original question that this IS the policy at EWR (and others?) and not a one-off I experienced. I obviously did not know that policy so I did not keep it "handy". After Pre-Clearance at 7:00am in Dublin, I specifically thought how nice it was I didn't need my passport anymore and repacked my bag with it at the bottom and change of clothes/toiletries etc. where I needed them.

Originally Posted by ikwia
However, there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access,
Originally Posted by vicontt
Care to share other scenarios?
The most simple would be that you are traveling with someone that is terminating at EWR while you continue on and they took your bag with them. I am thinking husband/wife and one is going home and the other has a business meeting or something. Again, probably not super common but it could happen.

Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm still not understanding the method of fraud and how requiring a passport prevents it. What am I missing?
Originally Posted by vicontt
I guess, you do not think like a fraudster ))) Assume, persons A and B are flying together. A has lounge access, B doesn't. A prints 2 boarding passes, gives B their driving license and a BP. A enters the lounge showing the passport and first copy of BP, B shows driving license and the second copy. Requiring a passport prevents this, but so does comparing a picture on the id with the person's face.
Setting aside the fact that for this to work you'd have to look alike, I assume once the second boarding pass is scanned the agent will see that that person has already checked into the club...

While I now recognize that this IS policy, I still don't understand the purpose of the policy vs. just showing any ID like at regular United Clubs; and I suppose the GA could always ask for a second form if they suspect something amiss. It wasn't a big deal, really, just a big inconvenience to have to unpack and repack my bag in the lobby of the lounge, when I am literally holding my DL and BP in my hand and the agent refuses to even consider it.

FWIW - I can't find this policy explicitly stated on the website, it states simply for both UC and Polaris locations that:
"All membership cards and boarding passes must be in the customer's name. United reserves the right to request government-issued photo identification to verify access credentials."