Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Update] As of Dec. ‘23 Polaris Lounges no longer require passports to access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!

I was asked to present a passport at EWR & IAH Polaris lounges this month. Maybe a new change?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oopl
I was asked to present a passport at EWR & IAH Polaris lounges this month. Maybe a new change?
I proactively presented my passport at the SFO Polaris lounge last week and was told that they don't need to look at it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LarryU
I proactively presented my passport at the SFO Polaris lounge last week and was told that they don't need to look at it.
They asked me for it at the beginning of the month. IAH has always asked me for it. Ahhhhh consistency, or maybe incompetence.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by fumje
Admissible, no question. Lounge opens at 0530.

Just be sure you have your passport out.
Thanks for the quick reply, I’ll have my passport ready for presentation. Didn’t know they question that, thought BP was good enough. But I did hear reports that happens at EWR from time to time
Old May 30, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks for the quick reply, I’ll have my passport ready for presentation. Didn’t know they question that, thought BP was good enough. But I did hear reports that happens at EWR from time to time
It happens at all the lounges sometimes, but to me it seems they're the most finicky at IAH. Twice I've had my passport card rejected, with the actual booklet demanded, which of course I had already unthinkingly buried in my backpack. Other lounges I've just showed a photo of my ID on my phone and it's been allowable.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
At IAH Polaris now. Not too crowded. Buffet is ok, restaurant has one open table.

They did ask for passports for me and my children as we checked in which is new for me but as reported above [I was ready and not a big deal just a data point]..

Several of the tables between the chairs were not cleaned promptly as people left but otherwise quiet and nice afternoon so far.
You came after I just left. It was totally packed. When I waked up from a nap at 2:30 pm, I was only able to find seats just outside the bathrooms.

They did ask for passports, too. At IAD PL, no ID was checked. My IAH-LIM BP did not work, but IAD-IAH (in economy) worked.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by DFW1003
Thanks Yep, the problem is app shows we are checked in. But can't generate a boarding pass.
Wondering if lounge agents will accept that or stick to requiring boarding passes? As previously mentioned, I should have luggage tags showing we have bags check from DFW through to Singapore.

We're hoping they will see we are on the flight and grant us access vs. requiring a BP that we might not be able to get until 3:45 or 4pm.
The PL agents require a BP and Passport Unfortunately that is their requirement. Are there any other earlier flights on SQ departing from IAH than yours? If so, I would look into that and have the people at that flight check you in. Just ask for the lead agent when you’re at that ticket counter
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The PL agents require a BP and Passport Unfortunately that is their requirement. Are there any other earlier flights on SQ departing from IAH than yours? If so, I would look into that and have the people at that flight check you in. Just ask for the lead agent when you’re at that ticket counter
Thanks so much for your replies.

I understand completely. And I was prepared to show our BP after we did the online check in on the app. Was NOT expecting an error message that said we needed to have airport agent provide BP.

Quite frustrating since w/o a BP, I don't know if we'll be able to access any lounges (I will check the Centurion, maybe they will let us in using our arrival BP on UA and showing them we are waiting for SQ to open up to get the BP). One friend that is traveling with us has special needs, so it's harder for her and lounge access would make the trip much more comfortable, and the wait more tolerable.

I'm going to call SQ IAH airport office when they open too. Not sure they will pick up but will ask if they can help.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by nevansm
Did you make sure all your passport, testing, etc. information was added at check in? Among foreign airlines SQ is generally pretty good about technology.
Yep. Checked many many times. Very strange and frustrating.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Passport required for check-in

I visited IAD PL without showing ID two weeks ago. Now, passport is required to enter PL, same as other PLs. 🤪
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA Polaris Lounges may require passport for acccess, why? other photo id?

Is it true that you must provide a passport (vs just any other photo ID) to enter the Polaris lounge?

As a connecting passenger who had already pre cleared in DUB I was forced by the agent to dig all the way back down to the bottom of my bag to recover my passport that I had packed away in order to enter Polaris at EWR. My government issued drivers license was not sufficient.

As an aside I entered the new UC in EWR first to check it out and didn’t have to show ID at all (though maybe those new little kiosks scan your face? Idk)
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:56 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Is it true that you must provide a passport (vs just any other photo ID) to enter the Polaris lounge?

As a connecting passenger who had already pre cleared in DUB I was forced by the agent to dig all the way back down to the bottom of my bag to recover my passport that I had packed away in order to enter Polaris at EWR. My government issued drivers license was not sufficient.

As an aside I entered the new UC in EWR first to check it out and didn’t have to show ID at all (though maybe those new little kiosks scan your face? Idk)
That's crazy that they made you do that. I would absolutely refuse to do that. Call a supervisor if you must. I would show them my DL and if they wanted more I would just walk past them.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
That's crazy that they made you do that. I would absolutely refuse to do that. Call a supervisor if you must. I would show them my DL and if they wanted more I would just walk past them.
I dug it out begrudgingly but it was annoying. Oh well at the bar now watching NFL if anyone is around.

Update in order to review: ‘Day’ is an amazing bartender, super personable and friendly, and very attentive. The views are great at EWR. This is my third Polaris to enjoy (IAH, SFO) and I think it might be my favorite, entry snafu withstanding.

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Oct 22, 2023 at 12:25 pm
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
(
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

I complained (nicely) once at EWR or SFO about having to show my passport. They explained that they have had people print two (even three!) BPs and distribute different IDs so multiple people could get in. So they ask for one type of ID, passport, and everyone needs to be carrying their passport for the Polaris flights anyway. It's amazing what people will do to get in. I was chatting with an agent at the IAD Polaris lounge a few months ago and she said they had seen the same thing. Rather than have everyone scan in and out they thought this would be simpler.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Passport is a thing at EWR. Walking by might get one in trouble, I wouldn't recommend stirring commotions in the airport.
rmadisonwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.