FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Update] As of Dec. ‘23 Polaris Lounges no longer require passports to access
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:26 am
Steve M

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia
there are legitimate (although I'll concede uncommon) scenarios where one might not have the passport at the time of desired lounge access, although they will have it at the time of the flight (or vice versa -- they had it upon arrival, but no longer have it).
That's also true for a driver license or any other form of ID. Should they provide access for those without ID just to cover the highly unusual situation of someone not having any ID?

Originally Posted by uanj
They explained that they have had people print two (even three!) BPs and distribute different IDs so multiple people could get in.
Originally Posted by vicontt
This I don't get. IDs have pictures on them.
I'm still not understanding the method of fraud and how requiring a passport prevents it. In addition to a picture, IDs also have a name on them. Presumably, they match the name with the ID and the BP, and the face with the ID. In order for a duplicate BP to be used by more than one person, they'd have to have the same or at least similar name, which could be the case of family members. But requiring a passport being the only form of ID doesn't prevent that. And, if the duplicate boarding passes have been altered to have a different name, then once again requiring a passport as the only form of ID doesn't solve for that either. That is, unless they are looking up the passport number on file in the computer that was used to check in and comparing that with the passport being presented, which I find hard to believe is being done manually. I suppose if they were scanning passports then this could be automated. What am I missing?