Search
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2023 Let’s Eat - Polaris business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've always gone w/ the Japanese option.
+1 (million)
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
The carrot cake finally appears! It was on the menus I had in November and December, but was still the apple pie or crumb cake every flight I took. Still curious who the "celebrity chef" is that endorses it, or why it is a "travel cake" but glad to finally see it!
st530 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Anyone have the EWR-DXB menu for January?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:56 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Just finished LAX-HKG and SIN-SFO (UA2) on Polaris. Consistent with past experience, the hard product is excellent. Best bedding of any US carrier for certain, and love the added amenities on these longer flights (PJs and slippers). Food, on the other hand...wow. Still feels like Covid-era meals. Especially the outbound leg, where they completely ran out of food.

LAX-HKG
Braised chicken thigh and shiitake mushrooms
Sauteed Cajun shrimp
Seared Asian short rib
Stir fried vegetables with Thai coconut ginger cream sauce and udon noodles

I pre-ordered the chicken thigh. All served on one tray as usual. Accompanying was a salad and I forget what the appetizer options were. This was a very disappointing meal. Worse though, they ran out of food mid-flight. Like, ALL food. Nothing on the snack cart and the grilled cheese/tomato soup was also gone. As we approached HKG, breakfast was served. I was seated in row 5 which seemed to be served by the front galley crew. The F/A on my slide overlooked me when taking breakfast orders as I was the last seat in her section. When she came by and apologized, they had also run out of both breakfast options. She offered me the tray setup with fruit, yogurt and a croissant. I declined as I didn't really want a yogurt at 6:00PM HKG time. I'm not sure how they ran out of both breakfast items (congee and French toast). On the entire 15.5 hour flight I had only one meal and that was an hour into the trip. I was famished by the time we landed and astonished by the poor catering.

SIN-SFO
Chicken with shiitake mushrooms (hey that sounds familiar!)
Beef (forget the description)
Pork chop (also forget the description)
Tofu in five spice sauce

Chicken was in a slimy cornstarch sauce. More mushroom than chicken and none of it had any flavor whatsoever. 1/10 for flavor and presentation. Disgusting.

Tapas (choose two)
Char siu pork
Beef dumplings/bao
Chicken meatballs with rice
Falafel

Several cold items were also served including a potato/brussel sprout dish.

I ordered chicken and falafel. They did not turn lights on for this service and the service was done quietly. It was actually quite a good meal and I wish they had served it for lunch, too.

Breakfast
Omelette
Beef congee

I don't eat beef or eggs, but did order the beef congee. I pushed the ground beef off the top and ate just the congee. It wasn't great.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
GIG-IAH 29 Dec 955 pm 763 seat 7F

PDB of water or sparkling wine.

Nuts with drink followed by the one-stop plop.

I chose the shrimp appetizer (excellent) and the salmon (just ok).

Got the cheese for dessert — really good! I also snapped a pic of the plated cookies, which is not something I had seen before. I also got a Bailey’s to have later if I woke up before breakfast, but alas, that had been snatched back while I slept (despite the remainder of the trash on my side shelf being left where it was).

For breakfast, I was tempted to ask for the grilled cheese and potato leek soup (not sure if that would have been honored at that point in the flight) but went with the omelet instead. It had an odd gray coloring on the bottom so I only had a couple of bites.

Good crew and at the very end of the flight, the purser thanked me for being GS, gave me her business card with a note on it, and asked if she could get me anything else. I wasn’t sure what to make of this offer as service had already ended and there were only 12 minutes of flight time left, so I just smiled and said “No thank you, everything has been great.”

narvik likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jewree
The carrot cake finally appears! It was on the menus I had in November and December, but was still the apple pie or crumb cake every flight I took. Still curious who the "celebrity chef" is that endorses it, or why it is a "travel cake" but glad to finally see it!
It's not "travel cake", it's Chef Tavel carrot cake. Chef Tavel Bristol-Joseph is some pastry chef so I assume he has some connection to it.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll

LAX-HKG

I pre-ordered the chicken thigh.........This was a very disappointing meal. Worse though, they ran out of food mid-flight. Like, ALL food. Nothing on the snack cart and the grilled cheese/tomato soup was also gone........

On the entire 15.5 hour flight I had only one meal and that was an hour into the trip. I was famished by the time we landed and astonished by the poor catering.......

SIN-SFO

Chicken was in a slimy cornstarch sauce. More mushroom than chicken and none of it had any flavor whatsoever. 1/10
It wasn't great.
Please write in and report your bad experience. They need to know that!!!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:31 am

No pictures, but inspired by ironmanjt's old TRs with reports on UA's ice cream sundaes:

UA 871 SFO-TPE 12/18/23:
Sundae with everything meant 2 maraschino cherries and the smallest chocolate chips I've ever seen-otherwise the usual toppings

UA 890 PVG-SFO 12/31/23:
Sundae with everything meant 3 dried cherries (with pits!), a strawberry sauce with strawberries, almonds, whipped cream, and a whipped caramel topping (?)
On an unrelated note the grapes ex-PVG also had seeds in them

Had a few of the carrot cakes along the way too and definitely one of the better dessert options IMO that I've had on UA
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
2024 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
C

Choices for SFO-SIN next week. Mods, please move to 2024 Polaris Let’s Eat thread if it exists.
2024 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:04 pm

I am looking for an in flight menu images ( SFO - SIN) . If anyone has it, please post it . Thank you .
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I am looking for an in flight menu images ( SFO - SIN) . If anyone has it, please post it . Thank you .

Please go to the 2024 thread. Link in the post above.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:59 pm

Flat Iron steak was on the menu on 11/19/23 flight from ORD to TYO/HND.....it was tasteless along with most other Polaris food on that flight. I've consistently had better food in Polaris out of Frankfurt than out of UA's hub in Chicago. So much for the old adage that an airline's best food comes out of flights originating out of their main hubs. Recently read articles about UA upgrading quality of food and not serving everything at the same time (trial on select routes, including ORD/TYO) ...this was obviously not the case on this Polaris flight.
ll22949 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please post 2024 experiences in 2024 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 10, 2024 at 4:36 pm
Old May 7, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Drinking Polaris (R) for the first time:
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.