FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2023 Lets Eat - Polaris business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
There is always a vegetarian option...
I shall call 1K as well.... the question is, if you're flying biz class and pre book a meal, can you change your mind if the on board vegetarian option (if any) turns out to be more suitable / preferable....?

Has anybody experienced this? Flying from SFO to Incheon...

(The site did ask "would you rather eat at the PL in SFO" ... ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited by Skytizen; Aug 19, 2023 at 4:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
There is always a vegetarian option...
Not from Korea, Japan, China, South America. Definitely Not 100%

From US always. From Europe very good chance. SIN yes. Australia/NZ not sure.

And unless you specify a special meal the arrival meal quite often does not have a vegetarian option. Even from some of the places I mention above.
Infinite1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Good to know. There were several reports where there was no non-meat option.
If it really matters to you, dont chance it
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Not always. Flights from South America are meat/fish only.
I think poster you quoted had a "beef" with the grammar in the previous post and that was the point behind their comment. ;-)
Old Aug 19, 2023, 10:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Skytizen
I shall call 1K as well.......
Don't bother they will not be able to help

Originally Posted by Skytizen
the question is, if you're flying biz class and pre book a meal, can you change your mind if the on board vegetarian option (if any) turns out to be more suitable / preferable....?
Yes
UA states in the e-mail confirmation of the pre-order choice (special meals may be different)
. If you decide you’d like something different than the meals you chose, we’re happy to offer other meal options on board.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2023 at 10:29 pm Reason: (special meals may be different)
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had a first for me this weekend. IAD->LHR and didn't go for any food from on-board catering. Mostly due to being on the10PM departure, so was ready for sleep.

Fed and very well watered at the IAD Polaris Lounge (best service in the system, IMO) before the flight. Got breakfast in the welcome lounge on arrival.

Reclined to a bed at takeoff and woke 30 minutes before touchdown and managed a cup of coffee on board.
jd2000 and narvik like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:40 am

Newbie here.

SFO-FRA
August 6

Options:
  • BBQ chicken with sweet potato puree, collards, and BBQ sauce
  • Sauteed cajun shrimp with jasmine rice and tomato fondue
  • Seared asian short rib with coconut jasmine rice and stir fried veggies
  • Stir fried vegetables with udon noodles and Thai style coconut ginger cream sauce
I preordered the BBQ chicken. It was fine, not remarkable. The food was delivered all on one tray, not in courses.

Breakfast was Brioche French Toast.

It's always a bit soggy. And that smashed croissant.

cesco.g and chrisny2 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:47 am

SFO-FRA
August 15

I pre-ordered the grilled chicken breast. Surprisingly, this was one of the best meals I've had in Polaris. The salad (which I often ignore) was fresh and flavorful, helped along greatly by the tasty honey mustard dressing. The tomato and mozzarella appetizer was also good -- tomatoes not exactly at their peak, but I can't be too picky about that on a plane. The chicken dish was great. The sauce was wonderful, the potatoes and green beans were cooked well, and I totally enjoyed it. Again, everything was served all at once, not in courses.

The less said about the beef burger served right before landing the better. I'm always curious why they choose such heavy options at this time in the flight. Although it was night in SFO, we had all just woken up from a few hours of sleep and that burger is such a brick. A lighter option would be much better.

Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I hadn't noticed this before, but they changed the language on the Slippers & Mattress pads being available on flights from 12 hours down to 11.5 hours. I wonder why?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, HH Diamond
FRA - SFO / Aug 19 on B777

A good experience overall. A bit of a mixed bag with the meals, but a very attentive and friendly crew, who did very well despite a rather bumpy flight. Upon boarding, sparkling wine or water was offered (in plastic cups) and the purser confirmed my preordered choice of the Sichuan prawns.

Pre-meal drinks with nuts.

Both the salad and the prawns were tasty, although - as others have noted - the latter is definitely on the safe side in terms of seasoning.

The dessert cart came around and I chose the ice cream sundae, which was delicious. (The spill was my doing.)

Not pictured is the pre-arrival burger, which - agreeing with Eireann - I don't find a particularly great choice for passengers who have just woken up, despite the time of day at the destination.

A funny anecdote: during pre-departure preparations, as crew members were preparing catering I overheard one of them say "you know it's funny that the cheese they have here actually tastes like cheese."

Last edited by Edlington; Aug 20, 2023 at 9:33 am Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I had the potatoe tikki massala today from Europe and it was surprisingly good.

None of the wine on the menu was actually available though 😂😂
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Had a first for me this weekend. IAD->LHR and didn't go for any food from on-board catering. Mostly due to being on the10PM departure, so was ready for sleep.

Fed and very well watered at the IAD Polaris Lounge (best service in the system, IMO) before the flight. Got breakfast in the welcome lounge on arrival.

Reclined to a bed at takeoff and woke 30 minutes before touchdown and managed a cup of coffee on board.
EXACTLY my plans for my BOS-LHR flight coming up next month. It leaves at 11PM. Just going to try and snag a mattress pad and call it a night. The flight is only 6.5 hours. For me, I don't want to be hemmed in by a tray, plus the food is really not worth staying awake for. I'll probably do the same on the return AND my Polaris flights IAD-FRA-IAD later in the year. I always bring a snack, just in case - and a sandwich if it's a day flight. Then I can eat what and when I want to. That was my MO on the Norwegian RT I did a few years back. The 'business class' meals came in a box. I brought some nuts - only to have the FA announce there was someone who was allergic to nuts on the flight and please to NOT eat any nuts on the flight. But usually it works out OK. Glad to hear I am not the only one who does this. And yeah, there's the lounge access which has been a little lacking in my experience. Maybe IAD and LHR will be better! The Swiss Air lounge that I was able to use in ZRH last Fall was really nice, though.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Originally Posted by jonisflying
I hadn't noticed this before, but they changed the language on the Slippers & Mattress pads being available on flights from 12 hours down to 11.5 hours. I wonder why?
I've been able to get a mattress pad on flights that were 7 - 8 hours. Was I not supposed to???
jonisflying likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: UAL
Sometimes there's a few on board for the shorter flights. Snagged one on EWR-AMS on 8/14, saw a few in the open overhead bins by seat 2A. FA graciously offered me one.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Slippers and mattress pads are available on all Polaris flights. Pajamas are reserved for 11.5 hours or more.
uanj, MatthewLAX and kirkwoodj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.