FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2023 Lets Eat - Polaris business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by MELso
Thanks for this - flying SYD-IAH in three weeks so I presume the catering will be the same, and was looking at both the barra and frittata menu options and think I'll go for them.

But also as an aside... Koonunga Hill? In business class? C'mon United, you can do much better than that! That sells for less than $A10 a bottle in Uncle Dan's. I presume it's only there to make up the numbers if Justin Justification is on the reds list.
Yeah its a bit strange. But BA F is the same way. They will have a nice Bordeaux that is at least double the value of every other wine. I now usually google the wines on the list when I get the menu. If I have time, Ill read reviews too but 9 times out of 10, a 60 dollar wine will be better than a 10 dollar wine even if its not the right pairing per se (eg heavy red when it really should be a Pinot).
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by physioprof
There's a lot of angry dissatisfied people obsessed & with perseverating over their perceived grievances on here. None of that noise has any effect on my enjoyment of flying United. A huge amount of it is that when people project angry entitlement, they get reflected back onto them a percieved refusal to "serve" correctly. If you project joy & gratefulness, you receive in kind.
it works the other way too. Nice, happy, smiling, non-disappearing flight attendants are directly correlated to my experience. Ive scientifically (sarcasm) proven this by flying other airlines this year and its true!

I still fly United for many reasons, but enjoyment isnt one of them.

back to the thread SFO-ICN on Dec 1

Slippers and mattress pad was available on request. Flight crew were friendly and efficient and there was someone available in the fwd galley throughout the entire flight.

Had the bibimbop and enjoyed it. Sauce servings in the plastic containers, & serving everything at once (resulting in eating cold appetizer after my warm entree) are just stupid misses by United that cheapen what is supposed to be a premium service.

And Im literally going to start clapping and cheering when United rehire the guy they let go at the start of the pandemic that knows how to spread the garlic butter completely across the slice of bread!

Apologies but I nearly always skip the arrival breakfast, especially as arrival time was an hour late at 5:30pm (SFO catering delay). I know this has been discussed before, but I still dont understand why United serve breakfast on AsPac flights that arrive in the evenings they dont do this on the TATL flights that arrive at similar local times (late afternoon).

Overall, no complaints on the flight, but the bar is not particularly high, despite delusional Kirbys view on how good they are. 6/10
arma5, Repooc17 and frutabell like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MELso
But also as an aside... Koonunga Hill? In business class? C'mon United, you can do much better than that! That sells for less than $A10 a bottle in Uncle Dan's. I presume it's only there to make up the numbers if Justin Justification is on the reds list.
Knowing nothing about it, I had the Koonunga Hill on my SFO-MEL flight just to get shiraz from SA (we went to Adelaide later on the trip). It was good and went well with the beef dish. Only when I got to the Rex Lounge at ADL did I realize it was like the price equivalent of Sutter Home back in California.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
SYD - SFO

Pre-ordered and received the barramundi. It cooked well and the sauce was good, but I probably would have selected something different since I don't like the carp-like texture of the fish. Broccolini was overcooked. I don't remember selecting or being asked which starter I wanted, and I was just given the coronation salmon. I wouldn't call it a great dish, but I did end up eating a good amount of it. The curry flavor was nice. No garlic bread but that roll was good. Wanted the sundae but they weren't serving them, and I skipped the other dessert options (which were brought out on trays for you to pick). The flight, especially the first half over the south Pacific, was turbulent (not horrible turbulence was it was pretty constant). Pilots asked flight attendants to take jump seats and stop service several times, so I suspect the lack of choices was so they could serve the food quickly between the periods of turbulence.
Breakfast was inoffensive although the fruit tasted pretty fresh. Overall, the food was the okay-to-go (the usual Polaris fare). I'm really thinking my great SFO - MEL experience with the delicious scrambled eggs and perfected cooked vegetables was an anomaly.
I was on the route a day or two before yiu i think.

​​​​​​Agree with your comments on the fish. We did have the uce cream cart aling with apple tarte and cheese plate. I chose the Aussie avo toast for breakfast which was light and i enjoyed it.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:01 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but flying out of EWR on Friday in Polaris & just wondering where Id find the lounge menu?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but flying out of EWR on Friday in Polaris & just wondering where Id find the lounge menu?
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Nov 25 UA142 NRT-DEN 787-9

Preordered the Japanese meal for me and short rib for Mrs Mystery Tour.

The Japanese meal was horrible. If I hadn't been somewhat hungry I would have barely touched it. Especially when departing Japan and having spent the prior week eating excellent Japanese food, this was a sad way to cap the trip. When the menu says "with sweet potato" that's what they mean, sweet potato, not sweet potatoes.

Mrs MT said the short rib was bad too, which is a little surprising because it is often semi-reliable. We both had ice cream for dessert.

I skipped breakfast after that dinner.

I overheard a conversation behind me between another passenger and the flight attendant asking for a meal choice. The only remaining choices were the Tofu Burger and the Japanese meal. The passenger was not happy with those 2 choices, and was pretty upset.

Service was a mixed bag - a couple of the FAs were friendly and accommodating and others were clearly unhappy - maybe not happy to be working a holiday weekend.

Wine list. United must have received a smoking deal on a huge supply of Justification. Other wines are in the range of $20-$30 at full retail price. No really horrible wines on the list, but I think airlines should be serving $50 wines in business. People paying cash are spending $4000, $5000, and much more for a ticket. I think that justifies spending more on wine ... and food.

Looks better than it tastes.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Nov 25 UA142 NRT-DEN 787-9

Preordered the Japanese meal for me and short rib for Mrs Mystery Tour.

The Japanese meal was horrible. If I hadn't been somewhat hungry I would have barely touched it. Especially when departing Japan and having spent the prior week eating excellent Japanese food, this was a sad way to cap the trip. When the menu says "with sweet potato" that's what they mean, sweet potato, not sweet potatoes.

Mrs MT said the short rib was bad too, which is a little surprising because it is often semi-reliable. We both had ice cream for dessert.

I skipped breakfast after that dinner.

I overheard a conversation behind me between another passenger and the flight attendant asking for a meal choice. The only remaining choices were the Tofu Burger and the Japanese meal. The passenger was not happy with those 2 choices, and was pretty upset.

Service was a mixed bag - a couple of the FAs were friendly and accommodating and others were clearly unhappy - maybe not happy to be working a holiday weekend.

Wine list. United must have received a smoking deal on a huge supply of Justification. Other wines are in the range of $20-$30 at full retail price. No really horrible wines on the list, but I think airlines should be serving $50 wines in business. People paying cash are spending $4000, $5000, and much more for a ticket. I think that justifies spending more on wine ... and food.

Looks better than it tastes.
Very disappointing to hear, historically ex-NRT catering is excellent
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Very disappointing to hear, historically ex-NRT catering is excellent
I know. That has been my past experience too. The plane had arrived only a few hours prior from EWR.I don't think they would double cater the plane from EWR, but I don't know.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I know. That has been my past experience too. The plane had arrived only a few hours prior from EWR.I don't think they would double cater the plane from EWR, but I don't know.
No, that was catered from Japan. If you'd tried the Japanese option catered from EWR, you'd have found that one delectable.
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:56 pm

Does anyone have a recent menu ex- EZE ? Im hoping theres a veg option on the regular menu but the ones posted from the first half of the year dont show one . Special meal orders are always disappointing ! Should I be able to check during pre-order window and base my decision on that?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by passportsandpolaroids
...Should I be able to check during pre-order window and base my decision on that?
Yes, but eat dinner in BA anyway. Not sure why anyone would want to stay awake on a United redeye for the food - especially when options are narrowed significantly before even getting on the plane.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 4, 2023 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by passportsandpolaroids
Does anyone have a recent menu ex- EZE ? Im hoping theres a veg option on the regular menu but the ones posted from the first half of the year dont show one . Special meal orders are always disappointing ! Should I be able to check during pre-order window and base my decision on that?
I can request one. Is it for December travel?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
SIN Menu for December

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
If you have access, I would love the menu for SFO to SIN (UA1) for December.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
thankyou! Yes its December travel EZE-IAH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.