United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 29, 20, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I’ll revert w/ eventual compensation. Nothing’s been proactively offered, as of yet.

Agent suggested I might stand by at airport, but I didn’t want to be at airport at 6am for the OGG-connecting flights and find myself sitting thru to my currently scheduled flight. The LAS airport is nice, but not that nice
Why was the flight cancelled? Seems like their automatic rebooking didnt work for you either...
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:32 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The text said “Your plane needs repairs”. Got text at 3:39am, which is weird, because I thought a problem would have been identified on or before arrival and parking overnight. I haven’t really looked into it, but maybe they took the originally scheduled a/c and used it on another route, screwing SF pax..
More likely an issue was discovered during line maintenance that required longer-than-expected cure times or a part to be flown in.

Leaving CLE, for example, I’ve seen a 5+ hour delay with similar timing because during the overnight MX visit they found a window that needed to be replaced — the job itself was done relatively quickly but IIRC they needed something that was coming in on the first flight from ORD and then there was a 90 minute or so “cure time” on the adhesive before they could return the AC to service. Might have looked at outbound/return loads and crew positioning and figured out that rather than going with the ruse of a long delay it was less disruptive to just cancel it.
Old Jan 30, 20, 6:05 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz PC
First time since (I think) 2014 I'm more than mildly annoyed.

Got up at 3:30am in LAS to catch 6am flight to SFO and then 777 flight to Maui, arriving at lunchtime.

3:39am get text saying 6 am cancelled and I've been re-booked on 2:55p to SFO and arriving Maui after 9pm (on a 737).

I got on 1K line and tried to get on earlier flights (even if I had to ride coach), but they had already filled the earlier SFO flight w/ coach passengers so I couldn't make it to SFO for the second flight of day to OGG. Other options to get there in coach not to appealing. Agent offered flights tomorrow, but have some things lined up back home that need to happen, otherwise I might have gone with that option.

What would be the range of compensation I might be looking at?
I am going to assume that you were in paid J/F and not upgraded. I would hope they offer you at least $300 if that's the case. This is when GS status comes in handy but as a 1K on a paid F ticket (even if that was a P or Z discount fare) they absolutely should have forced you onto the next flight in coach to preserve your 777 lie flat and arrival time.
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I am going to assume that you were in paid J/F and not upgraded. I would hope they offer you at least $300 if that's the case. This is when GS status comes in handy but as a 1K on a paid F ticket (even if that was a P or Z discount fare) they absolutely should have forced you onto the next flight in coach to preserve your 777 lie flat and arrival time.
The next flight would not have connected in time, but it would have allowed connection to the second flight (albeit a 737) of day to Maui, getting in about 3pm instead of 9pm. I would have opted for coach seat out of LAS, if offered, to get there earlier but UA just put me in the only "F-all-the-way" option and filled earlier coach seats with coach passengers. I understand why it was done.

Just sent 1Kvoice note re lack of compensation. I would have to say the FA SFO-OGG was one of the best I've run into lately - must've just gotten out of FA training and was frequently through cabin and thanked me for being 1K while taking my LobsterMac choice.
Old Feb 3, 20, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If it's IRROPS, you should be able to get it refunded. For any voluntary change, though, you're at the mercy of the agent. Technically, it's forfeit; they don't owe you a refund or a seat in the upgraded cabin.
Suppose there is a schedule change / equipment change not to your liking / significant delay / travel waiver / etc (basically, anything mentioned in the CoC that entitles you to a refund). Is your fee then refundable, if you refund the ticket?

The reason that I ask is that I generally pay for first class when (and only when) lie-flats are available. If there was an equipment change to a plane where there are no lie-flats I most likely would not fly it (at least not in F)
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Suppose there is a schedule change / equipment change not to your liking / significant delay / travel waiver / etc (basically, anything mentioned in the CoC that entitles you to a refund). Is your fee then refundable, if you refund the ticket?
Those all qualify as IRROPS, so, yes, you should be able to get a refund.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
The reason that I ask is that I generally pay for first class when (and only when) lie-flats are available. If there was an equipment change to a plane where there are no lie-flats I most likely would not fly it (at least not in F)
"Refund the whole ticket" should be possible. "Refund only the up-charge; I want my Y seat back" is going to be a tougher sell.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Started the year off right - $200 for the left half of the seat in front of me reclining waaaay too far. Then it went downhill.

$0 for a UC dragon dust-up last week.

5k miles for wifi inop tonight.

I hope to not have anything else to complain about for the rest of the year.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Yikes, that is really low. Yesterday, i got $500 on a involuntary downgrade from F to exit row on LAS-SFO on award ticket
Wow. That is incredible. 28 hour delay DEL-EWR in paid J is the same as a F --> exit row downgrade on a 1 hour flight with no meaningful service anyway.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Wow. That is incredible. 28 hour delay DEL-EWR in paid J is the same as a F --> exit row downgrade on a 1 hour flight with no meaningful service anyway.
This is why I never post amounts here.

They're meaningless. UA representatives are making up numbers. Status is definitely more important than fare class, but other than that, it's essentially random.
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
This is why I never post amounts here.

They're meaningless. UA representatives are making up numbers. Status is definitely more important than fare class, but other than that, it's essentially random.
Mine wasn't from customer care or writing in - gate reader rejected my paper boarding pass, stood in line knowing I was going to be downgraded (as the mobile app would no longer show my boarding pass) - gate agent proactively offerred $500, there was no negotiation as I thought that was more than fair. I suspect gate agents have much more discretion on comp than customer care agents.

I did ask why I was downgraded - she speculated because I was on an award ticket and to her credit stated she wasn't exactly sure. I suspect she started high on the offer as the plane was completely full (day after Super Bowl).

What I didn't like was UA's call at 1:32am Pacific which from the voicemail was an offer to change flights and as they put it in the voicemail, an offer of compensation to switch.
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Mine wasn't from customer care or writing in - gate reader rejected my paper boarding pass, stood in line knowing I was going to be downgraded (as the mobile app would no longer show my boarding pass) - gate agent proactively offerred $500, there was no negotiation as I thought that was more than fair. I suspect gate agents have much more discretion on comp than customer care agents.
Incidentally, there's a world of difference between comp for an inconvenience (delays, etc.) and comp for an oversale.
Old Feb 8, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Doubtful you'd get any compensation. UA's site has glitches from time to time, that's a fact.
Old Feb 8, 20, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Doubtful you'd get any compensation. UA's site has glitches from time to time, that's a fact.
Sounds like a DOT complaint.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
I don't understand why everyone on FT acts as if united.com's glitches are an Act of God.

United promised a thing in exchange for money and then delivered a different thing. Unless DOT rules, the CoC, or a footnote on the upgrade allows them an out, I would personally pursue a partial refund / some kind of compensation. Can you share the screenshots here?

It's not incumbent on the passenger to memorize which aircraft United flies on which routes, which aircraft have lie-flat seats, etc. We do that on FT for fun but it's not our job. If United says "click here to pay $139 to get lie-flat seats and Saks bedding" and then gives you a domestic F seat with a thin blanket, that's bait and switch.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 20 at 2:30 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 8, 20, 2:50 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
I don't understand why everyone on FT acts as if united.com's glitches are an Act of God.

United promised a thing in exchange for money and then delivered a different thing. Unless DOT rules, the CoC, or a footnote on the upgrade allows them an out, I would personally pursue a partial refund / some kind of compensation. Can you share the screenshots here?

It's not incumbent on the passenger to memorize which aircraft United flies on which routes, which aircraft have lie-flat seats, etc. We do that on FT for fun but it's not our job. If United says "click here to pay $139 to get lie-flat seats and Saks bedding" and then gives you a domestic F seat with a thin blanket, that's bait and switch.
You aren't wrong, but it's a little more complicated than that.

In some situations, what you are saying is just completely correct. Obviously, for instance, if you pay an upfare for Premium Plus on a transatlantic route, and UA switches to a plane that doesn't have any PP seats, you get compensated. And you should.

On the other hand, there are certain things where you kind of hope for something, and maybe you rearrange your travel to try and get it, and even pay more, but it isn't part of what UA is promising you. For instance, if I see a plane that has lie-flat seats on a particular route, and I choose that, and even perhaps pay more for that flight, but all I am being promised by UA is domestic first, I am not going to get anything if a last-minute aircraft swap leaves me in an ordinary F seat.

And with respect to mistakes, well, contract law says that it is all about context and reasonable reliance. We have had those debates here back when UA had some big-time mistake fares. If United mistakenly sells you an LAX-LHR Polaris roundtrip ticket for $220, no, they don't have to honor that (as DOT rules now confirm). On the other hand, if UA promises you something that sounds completely plausible, that's different. For instance (and this is completely made up), let's say you are booking a ticket to Bogota and the booking screen promises you access to the Polaris lounge. We, of course, know that the airline policy is you don't get Polaris lounge access except on flights farther south in South America. But if this happened, you can make a plausible argument that you could reasonably rely on it, and if UA denied you access to the lounge and you could prove they promised you that, it should get you compensation.

On the other hand, if you booked a discount coach $102 roundtrip basic economy airfare between LAX-LAS and the IT said you get into the Polaris lounge, you probably aren't entitled to anything, because nobody would seriously think that was anything other than an IT glitch.

So where does this fall on the spectrum?

Search this Thread