FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:25 am

How much meal vouchers

I’ve received 2x20$ vs 1x20$ meal vouchers for delays, any rhyme or reason for the different amount?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanlis
I’ve received 2x20$ vs 1x20$ meal vouchers for delays, any rhyme or reason for the different amount?
IIRC, $20 = 1K/GS/business class; $10 = everybody else.
They count the number of meals they expect you might need.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
IIRC, $20 = 1K/GS/business class; $10 = everybody else.
They count the number of meals they expect you might need.
non elite is 15, elite is 20. Was delayed for 6.5hrs in the end, wished it was more than just one 20 since things at airport wasn’t super cheap.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
That was quick. Email received that a refund of $210 was processed.
I thought my story ended here. It didn't, but in a surprisingly good way.

This morning I received an email from United telling me that they apologize for the initially canceled flight that was due to safety (Max 9 inspection) and for the subsequent downgrade on my rebooked flight, and letting me know that they were giving me 10,000 miles in the next 3-5 business days. I checked my account and the miles are already there dated as of 1/20.

Totally unexpected, but much appreciated nevertheless .
SPN Lifer, Kmxu and nomad420 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:03 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Had a four hour delay last week on LAS-IAD. Aircraft originated for the day in AUS and had a frozen pipe. Meal vouchers were automatically offered at the three hour mark.

Wasn't going to write in and ask for compensation as the delay actually worked out in my favor (I was able to get more work done in LAS and have an early dinner with a colleague) but today I figured why not. I tried the United Cares website first to see if it had automatically been given, which it wasn't.

When I got to the Complaint/Flight Disruption page of the help center, I got a pop up that said my flight qualifies for compensation, and I was able to select between a $200 travel certificate or 10,000 miles. Considering I booked the flight with $200 worth of Travel Bank credits via my Amex Plat airline fee credit benefit, I was very happy indeed.

What determines if a flight "qualifies" for compensation automatically? A maintenance delay over X hours?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
What's a fair compensation for this? Upgrade processed after boarding. It was a 789, so I didn't get the notification (poor cell signal onboard). GA didn't come by.

I figured this out when during drink service, the FA said she didn't have a 1k in my seat. I asked where she showed me sitting, and she said in F, once she searched by name.
Not having heard back from UA, I contacted them again today about this. At least I got a response, though it was just that my request was "in que" (sic) for review by an agent. 8 days later and it hasn't even gotten handed to a human? Gone apparently are the days of a prompt response from CS.

Now I'm expecting that on 1/31, they'll say they reviewed, agree, and are redepositing 20 PP (with their original expiration date of 1/31/24).
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:16 am

Not having heard back from UA, I contacted them again today about this. At least I got a response, though it was just that my request was "in que" (sic) for review by an agent. 8 days later and it hasn't even gotten handed to a human? Gone apparently are the days of a prompt response from CS.

Now I'm expecting that on 1/31, they'll say they reviewed, agree, and are redepositing 20 PP (with their original expiration date of 1/31/24).
I hate to quote myself, but as an update, today CS wrote back that my ticket wasn't eligible for a refund as I flew in the cabin I had ticketed, and if I had provided the wrong ticket number, to resubmit it at united.com/refunds.

Which shows that whomever they assigned the inquiry to did absolutely zero reading or reading comprehension of what I thought was a succinct and to the point message.

I replied that at a minimum, I wanted my 20 Plus Points redeposited, with an extended date since we're now at 1/29 and I'd never be able to use them before 1/31, and that it would be nice to receive a CS goodwill gesture such as a small travel voucher for having been downgraded. I honestly don't feel that's too much to ask, and am someone who hasn't complained to UA in years. My guess is that I am now locked into the CRM loop of this being stood on by UA CS and "pound sand" will be the repeated answer. I ran into that years ago when I made a then-Low Fare Guarantee claim, and the agent who handled the claim insisted that no, fares found on Travelocity and Expedia did not qualify as they weren't authorized United fare resellers (LOL). It didn't matter how I contacted them after that--I got the same argument back, as their CRM software always sent either to the same agent, or the new agent looked at what that one did. I ended up having to file a DOT claim to get that resolved (and honestly, DOT wasn't the right body IMHO to address, more like the FTC perhaps, but it was the only thing that broke out of the loop).

No, I'm not going to DOT over this, but it sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth that contacting CS over something that should be a slam dunk gets such crappy service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
I hate to quote myself, but as an update, today CS wrote back that my ticket wasn't eligible for a refund as I flew in the cabin I had ticketed, and if I had provided the wrong ticket number, to resubmit it at united.com/refunds.

Which shows that whomever they assigned the inquiry to did absolutely zero reading or reading comprehension of what I thought was a succinct and to the point message.

I replied that at a minimum, I wanted my 20 Plus Points redeposited, with an extended date since we're now at 1/29 and I'd never be able to use them before 1/31, and that it would be nice to receive a CS goodwill gesture such as a small travel voucher for having been downgraded. I honestly don't feel that's too much to ask, and am someone who hasn't complained to UA in years. My guess is that I am now locked into the CRM loop of this being stood on by UA CS and "pound sand" will be the repeated answer. I ran into that years ago when I made a then-Low Fare Guarantee claim, and the agent who handled the claim insisted that no, fares found on Travelocity and Expedia did not qualify as they weren't authorized United fare resellers (LOL). It didn't matter how I contacted them after that--I got the same argument back, as their CRM software always sent either to the same agent, or the new agent looked at what that one did. I ended up having to file a DOT claim to get that resolved (and honestly, DOT wasn't the right body IMHO to address, more like the FTC perhaps, but it was the only thing that broke out of the loop).

No, I'm not going to DOT over this, but it sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth that contacting CS over something that should be a slam dunk gets such crappy service.
Did you try to call MPSC? A live person can resolve this quickly, instead of e-mails.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a significant change from how UA used to treat 1Ks and it's one of the reasons I find the higher qualification requirements absurd.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did you try to call MPSC? A live person can resolve this quickly, instead of e-mails.
I will. I had handled it via email previously as I was on the road. But I've rarely had issues getting 1K Voice to handle things; I guess I hadn't had much cause to write them in recent years (sent a compliment last January for a phone agent's work making some complex itin changes at the last minute). If this is how they're handling things now, ugh.

ETA: And now I got an email saying they're refunding the ticket purchase price? SMH. I need to call and fix this. Maybe this evening if I wrap up work early enough. Last thing I want is for them to refund the actual ticket, take away the PQF/PQD, etc. I'm not sure why this is so hard for the folks at CS to understand, or why it got sent to Refunds instead of CS just handling it on their own.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by exerda; Jan 29, 2024 at 1:34 pm Reason: Updates
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Datapoint: Online submission ~midnight: “Confirmation Number: 123ABC originally scheduled UA 1234 Jan XX LGA 09:35am to DEN 12:16pm. Arrive LGA 2 hours prior to departure, visited UA Club, agent there said flight delayed 1 hour, then 2 hours with indications it will be longer, rebooked on UA 5678 EWR 12:17pm to DEN 2:45pm. Was told it would be15-20 minutes to get my 2 checked bags (suitcase and skis) from UA 1234, actually took almost an hour. Was told car service would pick me up in 20 minutes, actually was almost an hour and 20 minutes. Instead of arriving EWR via UA provided car service 1.5 hours prior to boarding, I arrived as boarding started. UA 1234 ultimately was delayed almost 11 hours. I should receive very significant Customer Care Compensation for my inconvenience, aggravation, and delays. Thank you.”

2 email replies (personal with same agent’s name as my post #453 above and standardized form letter) from [email protected] ~9 hours later stating 10K miles to be deposited, miles in account immediately.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
We had a four hour mx delay on Saturday (MCI-ORD) due to the fuse for the emergency exit lighting blowing out. The flight was scheduled for a 7:45 am departure, though it ended up being closer to 11:45. I was asleep (for an hour and a half) when the text came in at 3:50am telling us about the delay, so no chance to move to the MCI-IAD nonstop and get some extra sleep. Ended up going to the airport for an on-time departure in the event the part was replaced sooner. Upon arrival, the GA said the part was being flown in from IAH and wouldn't arrive until 10:00am. Ultimately caused a four hour delay to DCA which took away from planned activities.

UA did send two $15 food vouchers, but it was a bit annoying they did not communicate the information about the parts needing to be flown in from IAH. Had they, it would have avoided an extra long wait at MCI. The UA cares website never worked, though when I used the UA.com contact form last night, it offered me $50 or 2,500 miles which seemed pretty stingy. I declined and wrote into UA who sent $100 this morning.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
I had a semi-broken IFE on HKG-SFO in Polaris. The display would exhibit ghost touches which made it unusable and impossible to keep the display off. Wrote to CS and was offered $125 ETC.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Datapoint follow-up: Filled out online form and uploaded copy of hotel folio, received email reply within 24 hours “… confirm the mailing address where we can issue a reimbursement check.” … Emailed reply with mailing address, received another email within 4 hours “Thank you for confirming the mailing address. well, it is our policy to confirm the passenger's mailing address before issuing any draft. I will issue a $200.00 check for your expenses. You will receive this check in the mail within 60 business days.”...
Follow-up #2: Upload was Jan 11, emails dated Jan 12, check dated Jan 17 received today Jan 31 (12, not 60, business days).
exerda likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Had a SYD-SFO flight canceled which caused a 24 hour delay, and took 2 hours on the phone to United to get my mum and I back on the same flights as each other (we were on separate reservations)

we were both offered compensation through the United cares website, but it didn’t work. When I wrote back they credited us 25,000 miles each. Received the miles within about an hour of the email

im 1K, she doesn’t have status
Kmxu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.