FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC 25k, WJ Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
LOL Yeah, I think the ICAO codes are only really used by on FlyerTalk by pilots or other insiders, and the IATA (or, sometimes and for the sake of confusion, FAA) codes are used by everybody else. I'd have had to look up MMUN, but I wouldn't have given you a hard time about it.

I mean, as an American, I would strongly oppose the introduction of any European/Canadian-style legislation. But, I think even under the Air Passenger Protection Act, this flight wouldn't have qualified. For one thing, they probably would have argued that it was a safety requirement, which gets them out of compensation (and, which I applaud as a carve-out, even though I know that some passengers will insist nothing is safety-related and airlines will insist that everything is safety related. . Even if it isn't considered a safety requirement, a 3-hour arrival delay is required before any cash compensation would kick in.

But, for future reference, the APPA appears to have taken a slightly different approach than EC.261. As written, it would apparently apply to all carriers on flights to Canada, whereas EC.261 does not apply to flights to Europe by non-EU carriers. However, nothing in the act would make it apply for Canadians (or anyone else) traveling between two other countries.
It's quite weird knowing all the airport / airline codes yet they are all "wrong" in regards to how things are referred to on here. I'm in training again.

The safety / weather cop outs are good in theory. But I can say from first hand experience as a small example, ATC is cited as being a source for delays *often* and at least in my terminal it's very rarely true. I'm not the biggest fan of airlines being allowed to self police the reason for delays, they are wildly misrepresented in favor of not paying out delayed passengers. But I digress.
ZenFlyer and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
LOL Yeah, I think the ICAO codes are only really used by on FlyerTalk by pilots or other insiders, and the IATA (or, sometimes and for the sake of confusion, FAA) codes are used by everybody else. I'd have had to look up MMUN, but I wouldn't have given you a hard time about it.

I mean, as an American, I would strongly oppose the introduction of any European/Canadian-style legislation. But, I think even under the Air Passenger Protection Act, this flight wouldn't have qualified. For one thing, they probably would have argued that it was a safety requirement, which gets them out of compensation (and, which I applaud as a carve-out, even though I know that some passengers will insist nothing is safety-related and airlines will insist that everything is safety related. . Even if it isn't considered a safety requirement, a 3-hour arrival delay is required before any cash compensation would kick in.

But, for future reference, the APPA appears to have taken a slightly different approach than EC.261. As written, it would apparently apply to all carriers on flights to Canada, whereas EC.261 does not apply to flights to Europe by non-EU carriers. However, nothing in the act would make it apply for Canadians (or anyone else) traveling between two other countries.
O/T: but for the bolded, why?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcturnbull
O/T: but for the bolded, why?
I prefer low fares to the possibility of hitting a delay jackpot.
SPN Lifer and wpcoe like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Civet
On one hand I feel a bit petty even looking into compensation
Yup.

I feel like if there's a legal obligation
Nope.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I mean, as an American, I would strongly oppose the introduction of any European/Canadian-style legislation.
The Canadian rules have even less force than anything existing in the U.S. They're practically useless.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I prefer low fares to the possibility of hitting a delay jackpot.
Lets please keep European and Canadian over regulation out of the US.

Anyone remember the high fares of regulation? No thank you.
jsloan and wpcoe like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:23 pm

I changed it. We diverted to Cancun. (Sidenote: This messes me up quite a bit, sorry. I think it has something to do with ICAO vs IATA airport codes or something? I am ATC, and I see "MMUN" for Cancun nearly daily, so just dropped the country code and typed in the 3 digit code trying to fit in with the way people seem to refer to airport codes on here... OOPS!)
That rule works only for K, C, and P where there is a one letter country code (so the last 3 are airport specific. Most of the world has the first letter for the region and second for the country so only 2 letters for the specific airport. Since IATA codes are meant to be more memorable than geographical, they have 3 letters often unrelated to the ICAO code (EGLL=LHR)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hmmm, hadnt thought about comp for a trip in August, but curious what ppl would say.

Booked LAX-EWR-ROC. LAX-EWR on the 78J in PP, arrived 2.5 hours late, missed connection, got UA to rebook EWR-BUF, arrived BUF 2 hours later than flight was scheduled and UA left car seat in EWR. Got lucky that lost baggage opened around 1am and arrived ROC by 3am. I chose to reroute EWR-BUF instead of overnight at EWR so I kind of charged all the ridiculousness to the game.

Should I have asked for a goodwill gesture?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
UA seems to give me a $150 voucher as a 1K in First or Business these days for anything gone wrong. Lately that:s included a 6 hour delay to final destination owing to transatlantic mechanical (IAD BRU), non operational DirecTV on IAD MIA, and a half broken tray table on IAD SRQ. The first was after I wrote to them and the other two were offered proactively on board by flight crew.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
That rule works only for K, C, and P where there is a one letter country code
P is like most of the rest of the world; it's just clever coincidence that it works for the two biggest airports (HNL and ANC).

OGG is PHOG, FAI is PAFA, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The safety / weather cop outs are good in theory. But I can say from first hand experience as a small example, ATC is cited as being a source for delays *often* and at least in my terminal it's very rarely true. I'm not the biggest fan of airlines being allowed to self police the reason for delays, they are wildly misrepresented in favor of not paying out delayed passengers. But I digress.
For an airline that no longer exists (and isn't in the UA family tree) about 20-25 years ago (eek, I'm feeling old) I was in a hub and heard several rounds of "John Smith, please contact crew scheduling immediately. John Smith, please contact crew scheduling..." over the PA. Near simultaneously to the 3rd or 4th page the agent working my gate's radio crackled to life and I was close enough to overhear something along the lines of "...yeah, your captain showed up without any of his ID so we're going to have to get a new crew..."

With a sigh the agent swapped the "ON TIME" Visiontron card out for a "DELAYED" and then made the PA that "Due to air traffic control limitations, flight xxx to yyy will be delayed. I hope to have an update for you in about half an hour."

That was the moment where my unquestioning trust of airline-provided delay reasons evaporated. And the "Welcome on board, I'm your captain..." yep...John Smith.
SPN Lifer and amarain like this.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Jan 24, 2023 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC 25k, WJ Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
For an airline that no longer exists (and isn't in the UA family tree) about 20-25 years ago (eek, I'm feeling old) I was in a hub and heard several rounds of "John Smith, please contact crew scheduling immediately. John Smith, please contact crew scheduling..." over the PA. Near simultaneously to the 3rd or 4th page the agent working my gate's radio crackled to life and I was close enough to overhear something along the lines of "...yeah, your captain showed up without any of his ID so we're going to have to get a new crew..."

With a sigh the agent swapped the "ON TIME" Visiontron card out for a "DELAYED" and then made the PA that "Due to air traffic control limitations, flight xxx to yyy will be delayed. I hope to have an update for you in about half an hour."

That was the moment where my unquestioning trust of airline-provided delay reasons evaporated. And the "Welcome on board, I'm your captain..." yep...John Smith.
That sounds about right. Another sadly common one is (mostly low cost carriers) citing weather delay for inbound plane, then you look up the METAR, or in some cases just ask the tower, and the weather is fine, just some typical airline delay.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm gold, wife and I flew on 2 x 14k award tickets LAS-IAD-CHO, had forced overnight due to MX at IAD. Needed to get home so rented a car. Submitted receipt for $110 car rental and received 2 x 10,000 miles and credit card refund for taxes paid. Email came for the credit card refund but the 20k miles showed up in account without any correspondence from UA.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:12 pm

Unhappy with travel credit after cancelled flight - can I negotiate for more?

Back in December, my flight to Munich was first delayed due to a mechanical issue, then cancelled at around 2 am for lack of crew. It took an additional 3 hours of waiting at the airport to get rebooked, and the only flight available was one several days from then. Ultimately I lost more than two full days of my trip, lost the $500 I'd paid for hotels for those nights, and lost my Premium seats as the only seats available were in Economy, etc. Not a pleasant experience. I contacted United Customer care and they 1. refunded me about $150 for my downgraded seats and 2. gave me a $200 travel credit, to be used in the next year.

I feel like a $200 coupon that I have to spend more money with United to even be able to use is awfully inadequate for what the cancellation cost me, both monetarily and in terms of stress and aggravation (and lost precious vacation days!). Is it possible to negotiate for more, or is this a waste of time to attempt?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amarain
I feel like a $200 coupon that I have to spend more money with United to even be able to use is awfully inadequate for what the cancellation cost me, both monetarily and in terms of stress and aggravation (and lost precious vacation days!). Is it possible to negotiate for more, or is this a waste of time to attempt?
Unless you have status with UA, $200 sounds about normal for that. You can certainly try to negotiate for more, but it's entirely at UA's discretion.

If your credit card includes trip delay insurance, it may cover things like the hotel rooms.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.