FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Does anyone track a record for meal vouchers in one year? At 22 UA segments since January 1, I'm already up to $80 which is more than I've ever accumulated in a single year previously.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Does anyone track a record for meal vouchers in one year? At 22 UA segments since January 1, I'm already up to $80 which is more than I've ever accumulated in a single year previously.
My starbucks account was up to $500 at one point last year, and I don't add money from my own credit cards. That did include $40 or $60 from a family member's mishaps, though. 🤭
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
My starbucks account was up to $500 at one point last year, and I don't add money from my own credit cards. That did include $40 or $60 from a family member's mishaps, though. 🤭
Haven't paid for a Peets coffee in over a year thanks to UA irrops.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I had a flight canceled the first day the 737 max 9s were grounded. We couldn't get back to IAH for a couple days so they put us on an AA flight to SAT and we rented a car and drove back to Houston. I submitted a reimbursement request for the rental car cost and $60 of checked bag charges. They said they couldn't reimburse the checked bag charges but gave all 5 of us 7500 miles each which i thought was very generous.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fumje
I had no idea that those vouchers didn't expire. I always thought that they were only good on your day(s) of travel. With my bad IRROPS luck on UA last year, I'd be sitting pretty, but I always deleted them after my flight because I thought they were no good after my trip was over.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I had no idea that those vouchers didn't expire. I always thought that they were only good on your day(s) of travel. With my bad IRROPS luck on UA last year, I'd be sitting pretty, but I always deleted them after my flight because I thought they were no good after my trip was over.
The vouchers do expire the day after they're issued. However, Starbucks doesn't expire their card balances, so you can hold the value by charging it to Starbucks immediately. If we cross paths, coffee's on meUnited. ☕😄
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
I was on a flight this week that returned to the airport shortly after take due to a precautionary engine shut down. We were airborne for less than an hour and landed back at the departure airport. The flight was rescheduled to depart 5 hrs later, and I was given a $20 food voucher but I just went back to the Polaris club instead of using the voucher. The second flight departed and also returned to the airport after ~35 mins in the air due to another engine issue. Shortly after deplaning, the flight was cancelled, about 6.5 hrs after the scheduled departure.

I was given a list of three hotel rooms to choose and 2 x $20 food vouchers. (I was on a PZ fare, upgraded with miles & money.) United sent me an email with a compensation offer: $750 travel credit or 37,500 miles. I spent the $40 credit at Starbucks the next morning buying coffee for everyone in line behind me.

Since my flight got airborne twice, I was going to ask for 2 PQFs, which I could really use. Has anyone tried asking for this in addition to whatever compensation United Cares offers? Just thought I'd see what experience others might have before I ask.

Last edited by Nihon_Ni; Feb 29, 2024 at 9:45 am
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni
...Since my flight got airborne twice, I was going to ask for 2 PQFs...
That's not going to happen.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: United 1K Member
I was on a flight this week that returned to the airport shortly after take due to a precautionary engine shut down. We were airborne for less than an hour and landed back at the departure airport. The flight was rescheduled to depart 5 hrs later, and I was given a $20 food voucher but I just went back to the Polaris club instead of using the voucher. The second flight departed and also returned to the airport after ~35 mins in the air due to another engine issue. Shortly after deplaning, the flight was cancelled, about 6.5 hrs after the scheduled departure.

I was given a list of three hotel rooms to choose and 2 x $20 food vouchers. (I was on a PZ fare, upgraded with miles & money.) United sent me an email with a compensation offer: $750 travel credit or 37,500 miles. I spent the $40 credit at Starbucks the next morning buying coffee for everyone in line behind me.

Since my flight got airborne twice, I was going to ask for 2 PQFs, which I could really use. Has anyone tried asking for this in addition to whatever compensation United Cares offers? Just thought I'd see what experience others might have before I ask.
You were on the HND flight?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Since my flight got airborne twice, I was going to ask for 2 PQFs, which I could really use. Has anyone tried asking for this in addition to whatever compensation United Cares offers? Just thought I'd see what experience others might have before I ask.
Over the years, this, in the form appropriate for the time frame, has been ask, not aware of it ever having been successful. UA does not do this.
SPN Lifer and Nihon_Ni like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch
You were on the HND flight?
Yes...both of them!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:19 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I recently flew on a 737 from LGA-DEN with the old DirecTV screens, and they would keep resetting every two minutes or so which made it impossible to watch anything. I wrote into customer care and got 5,000 miles. No status.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
UA 336 ORD-SFO “star Flight” cancelled 3/15/24 . 24 hour delay to trip

Yeah—I trusted a customer service director who said “don’t do anything yourself—we can fix this and we will get a spare plane to swap out”. Nope. Had hours to rebook this missed connection on AA—waited too long and missed the check in window after an OJ run two terminals over.

No F available on next day’s flight and had to fight like a devil to get the upgrade to Polaris for the long haul to PVG and wound up getting a much worse seat but at least in Polaris.

got a hotel voucher and 1K meal voucher for $20.

anyone want to speculate on comp? This is second one this year same outcome. United doesn’t have any spare planes apparently even at major hubs like Chicago. Lesson learned: don’t trust anyone who tells you about a plane swap these days.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:30 am

• Premier Gold
  • 15 March, UA847, IAH-SCL
  • Delayed from 8:30 PM to 10:45 PM due to gate availability - storms around IAH - I got it, things happen
  • Finally pushed, on tarmac for a bit, cockpit crew announces technical issue and returning to the gate for maintenance.
  • Maintenance is available until 00:30 AM at the earliest; crew timed out, deplaned.
  • Flight now delayed until 10:00 AM today.
  • Only one GA with a full 763 to address issues.
  • I booked a hotel proactively - got a link from UA to allow reasonable reimbursement of hotel and transportation costs.
  • No food vouchers.
  • Technical issue is documented in text messages from UA.
  • Further delay - at 9:55, everything was on time. Now delayed due to a baggage issue. Both baggage containers unloaded in search of several mismatched bags. 4 ramp agents checking every bag (watching from the window), two ramp agents sitting on the edge of the container.
  • Should I ask for compensation for the technical/crew timing delay?
TIA!

Last edited by lamphs; Mar 16, 2024 at 9:32 am
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
Should I ask for compensation for the technical/crew timing delay?TIA!
I would; the worst that can happen is that they say no. An overnight delay due to controllable factors always ends up in their Customer Service inbox in my book I prefer when they activate the United Cares website, so I feel like less of a beggar, but ultimately, while I'm very understanding of delays, and appreciative that they don't want to fly a plane that needs maintenance work done, I draw the line at losing a night of sleep wherever I'm headed.
SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.