FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Mods feel free to move as I could not find the consolidate comp thread for 2023 (Improve the search function on FT for sure) .

"Delayed" flight 36 hrs from PHX to SFO. Spent the night at airport Hilton until approx 1pm next day when finally the "delayed" headed to SFO. It was a mechanical issue (not weather related) and I did receive compensation for the hotel and a $250 voucher. Having not had this experience in years does this seem like appropriate compensation? I did loose a day of work fwiw.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
"Delayed" flight 36 hrs from PHX to SFO.
There were no options on AA, AS, or WN? I flew this both directions last week on AA with no issues at all.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Mods feel free to move as I could not find the consolidate comp thread for 2023 (Improve the search function on FT for sure) .

"Delayed" flight 36 hrs from PHX to SFO. Spent the night at airport Hilton until approx 1pm next day when finally the "delayed" headed to SFO. It was a mechanical issue (not weather related) and I did receive compensation for the hotel and a $250 voucher. Having not had this experience in years does this seem like appropriate compensation? I did loose a day of work fwiw.
The compensation thread is consolidated and not period specific. I just posted in the thread the other day, so it should be near the top.

$250 + hotel reimbursement - pretty good.

I agree with Kacee. If you need to get to SF, there are multiple other options, but if you have to stay with UA and leaving UA to find alternative travels for you, well, you lost a day of work, unfortunately.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:54 pm

I did receive compensation for the hotel and a $250 voucher. Having not had this experience in years does this seem like appropriate compensation? I did loose a day of work fwiw.
This compensation amount is in line with what UA currently offers for a controllable overnight delay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:03 pm

That does seem light for a delay of a day and a half. Not to mention losing a day of work.

Was the $250 sent automatically? It seems like it would be worth the time to send in a request for additional compensation for the delay and see if it works.

*I have seen a compensation thread on here somewhere. It might have a list of standard offer amounts for various delays.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
Thanks to you both. This is really all about knowing UAs temperature for self-help going forward. If I do plan on sticking with UA after this-and I did meet the 5K and 15 segment challenge-I need to know where to place self-help in my toolkit. To be fair, I am being offered $300 future credit (which I did not ask for) and a refund, which is not bad, but I needed to know if the denial was a matter of routine policy vs a bad CS agent. Now I know. Would not have done anything differently here, and now being fully informed, will use it sparingly in the future.
As someone who has done exactly what you did 4 times last year when UA cancelled flights, leaving me only next day or later options, I can tell you that UA would not put me on another carrier to get me to my destination on time. Now, I didn't stamp my feet and demand to be rebooked or anything because that is not the way I conduct myself. I tried calmly reasoning with them (i.e. flights are available on DL and AA, and could they please reaccomodate me?). I ended-up having to rebook myself and got cash refunds for the unused portions of my tickets. I requested adjustments to make up for the additional money I had to spend (over my original UA fare) to get to my destinations on time, but have been denied in every case.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 15, 2023 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
There were no options on AA, AS, or WN? I flew this both directions last week on AA with no issues at all.
Believe me I tried, it was right after new years and WN was still dealing with delays/cancellations. The WN last evening flight was also severely delayed to like 11pm. As I recall "no space available" on the AS flight. I initially was told that my flight was leaving at 8am so I just spent the night at the airport Hilton and figured I would be back early enough so no big deal. Turns out when I get to PHX at 7AM they announce my flight is further delayed to Noon. Live and learn I guess.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
That voucher amount for the delay is consistent with what they would offer for an overnight 24+ hour delay, if anything a little bit on the higher end for an initial compensation offer. You can separately submit the hotel receipt for reimbursement (which is different than compensation) since you were entitled to one for multiple reasons (confirmed J, maintenance caused delay) but didn't get a voucher,

Thanks for the response. I do find it odd that AVOD down = $150, 26 hour delay in J = $300 but it is what it is.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC 25k, WJ Platinum
Compensation for diversion

Jan 20 UA1172 SJO-IAH

A little bit into the flight we were informed there was an issue with the potable water leaving the toilets unusable etc. So no toilets for about 2hours, and then approx 30min on the ground. We diverted to Cancun where ground maintenance fixed the issue and we continued on.

Am I entitled to any sort of compensation as a result of this? Or is it partly dependent on if you missed a connection etc (I did not).
I am Canadian, not sure if that matters in regards to my eligibility for potential compensation.

Last edited by Civet; Jan 23, 2023 at 5:55 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Civet
Jan 20 UA1172 SJO-IAH

A little bit into the flight we were informed there was an issue with the potable water leaving the toilets unusable etc. So no toilets for about 2hours, and then approx 30min on the ground. We diverted to MUN where ground maintenance fixed the issue and we continued on.

Am I entitled to any sort of compensation as a result of this? Or is it partly dependent on if you missed a connection etc (I did not).
I am Canadian, not sure if that matters in regards to my eligibility for potential compensation.
You diverted where?! Many people mistakenly use MUN to refer to MUC (Munich), but that seems unlikely on SJO-IAH. So, I was hoping that we had finally found a real use of MUN… but when I looked it up, it’s Maturn, Venezuela, which also seems really unlikely.

Anyway, Canadian consumer protection laws wouldn’t apply to SJO-IAH, so, you’re not entitled to anything unless there’s a relevant Costa Rican law I haven’t heard of. And, it sounds like your total delay was less than the ~4 threshold UA has been using recently for compensation in terms of a customer service gesture. You can certainly ask, but don’t get your hopes up.

Edit: Ah, I see CUN, not MUN. Just a typo — that makes much more sense.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 23, 2023 at 5:56 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I’m not sure if there is any compensation for getting in an hour and a half late. You could always try.

I will say that having a diversion and a ground repair and still only getting to IAH an hour and a half after scheduled time is better than I would have expected.

Flight Aware shows you were diverted to Cancun and got into Houston by 12:02 PM instead of 10:27 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC 25k, WJ Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
You diverted where?! Many people mistakenly use MUN to refer to MUC (Munich), but that seems unlikely on SJO-IAH. So, I was hoping that we had finally found a real use of MUN but when I looked it up, its Maturn, Venezuela, which also seems really unlikely.

Anyway, Canadian consumer protection laws wouldnt apply to SJO-IAH, so, youre not entitled to anything unless theres a relevant Costa Rican law I havent heard of. And, it sounds like your total delay was less than the ~4 threshold UA has been using recently for compensation in terms of a customer service gesture. You can certainly ask, but dont get your hopes up.

Edit: Ah, I see CUN, not MUN. Just a typo that makes much more sense.
I changed it. We diverted to Cancun. (Sidenote: This messes me up quite a bit, sorry. I think it has something to do with ICAO vs IATA airport codes or something? I am ATC, and I see "MMUN" for Cancun nearly daily, so just dropped the country code and typed in the 3 digit code trying to fit in with the way people seem to refer to airport codes on here... OOPS!)

I may call and see.

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Im not sure if there is any compensation for getting in an hour and a half late. You could always try.

I will say that having a diversion and a ground repair and still only getting to IAH an hour and a half after scheduled time is better than I would have expected.

Flight Aware shows you were diverted to Cancun and got into Houston by 12:02 PM instead of 10:27 AM.
Agreed, it was a quick turn around. On one hand I feel a bit petty even looking into compensation, but on the other hand (as a Canadian who only recently have had changes to consumer aviation rights, and as a result have been screwed for years) I feel like if there's a legal obligation I may as well look into it.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Never feel petty in asking. You might get some miles. The worst they can do is say no. But there’s no regulation or policy I’m aware of.

I’m usually prepared for hours of delay when there is a diversion, so I was surprised it was so quick.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I changed it. We diverted to Cancun. (Sidenote: This messes me up quite a bit, sorry. I think it has something to do with ICAO vs IATA airport codes or something? I am ATC, and I see "MMUN" for Cancun nearly daily, so just dropped the country code and typed in the 3 digit code trying to fit in with the way people seem to refer to airport codes on here... OOPS!)
LOL Yeah, I think the ICAO codes are only really used by on FlyerTalk by pilots or other insiders, and the IATA (or, sometimes and for the sake of confusion, FAA) codes are used by everybody else. I'd have had to look up MMUN, but I wouldn't have given you a hard time about it.

Agreed, it was a quick turn around. On one hand I feel a bit petty even looking into compensation, but on the other hand (as a Canadian who only recently have had changes to consumer aviation rights, and as a result have been screwed for years) I feel like if there's a legal obligation I may as well look into it.
I mean, as an American, I would strongly oppose the introduction of any European/Canadian-style legislation. But, I think even under the Air Passenger Protection Act, this flight wouldn't have qualified. For one thing, they probably would have argued that it was a safety requirement, which gets them out of compensation (and, which I applaud as a carve-out, even though I know that some passengers will insist nothing is safety-related and airlines will insist that everything is safety related. . Even if it isn't considered a safety requirement, a 3-hour arrival delay is required before any cash compensation would kick in.

But, for future reference, the APPA appears to have taken a slightly different approach than EC.261. As written, it would apparently apply to all carriers on flights to Canada, whereas EC.261 does not apply to flights to Europe by non-EU carriers. However, nothing in the act would make it apply for Canadians (or anyone else) traveling between two other countries.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

I may call and see.

Legal obligation? Likely not. Customer service gesture for the inop lavs and unscheduled stop in CUN...possibly. big picture not a huge delay but I can see where it would be annoying if they wouldn't let you deplane and the lavs were inop for that long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.