FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Jul 14, 2024, 11:51 am

Had an absolute disaster of an experience at EWR trying to get to CDG last month. MX cancel after 9 hour delay, no United staff planeside to assist after deplaning, first sent me to JFK to fly LH metal, then back to EWR to fly UA metal over the next few days, ended up arriving ~36 hours late.

Anyway, Customer Care seems ready to be done with me after issuing $375 in travel vouchers for my wife and I separately (their latest e-mail is like "we consider this matter is closed." To be frank, I still don't think this is enough but I'm exhausted (perhaps I'll send a letter).

Question. I was never offered the option of miles versus ETC. TBH, I would very much prefer miles as most of my travel is work-related (really debating hard whether to pivot to UA or DL...) and personal travel is award -- does anyone think there is a chance of me getting the $375 nullified and converted to 75,000 miles? If yes, any prayer of getting my wife's $375 converted to miles in my MP account (she doesn't fly, and TBH may never fly again after this experience!).

(lowly) Silver Premier if it matters.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wxturtle
.. does anyone think there is a chance of me getting the $375 nullified and converted to 75,000 miles?
Yes, UA uses 2 cpm when converting miles compensation to ETC
Originally Posted by wxturtle
..any prayer of getting my wife's $375 converted to miles in my MP account (she doesn't fly,.
no, but you can use their ETC. ETCs can be used to book tickets for anyone.
SPN Lifer and wxturtle like this.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
United gave me 10,000 miles recently for flying in premium plus and being served a coach meal as they ran out of PP meals. The PP meal out of Tokyo looked disgusting as well.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

OP can also ask for the wife's ETC to be converted to 75k miles in the wife's account and use those miles to book tickets for himself as well.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, UA uses 2 cpm when converting miles compensation to ETC
Originally Posted by friedablass
OP can also ask for the wife's ETC to be converted to 75k miles in the wife's account and use those miles to book tickets for himself as well.
I'm pretty sure UA uses 2 cpm when converting ETC to miles. So it's either $375 as an ETC or 18.75k miles, not 75k miles.
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111
I'm pretty sure UA uses 2 cpm when converting ETC to miles. So it's either $375 as an ETC or 18.75k miles, not 75k miles.
You are correct and I was actually thinking that 75k miles instead of a $375 ETC sounded awfully generous and just didn't sit right with me.

I always thought that ETC was a better deal than taking miles but 75k is a lot better than $375 if they can get that but I highly doubt it. Either way, if the OP chooses to keep $375 ETC they can use the one from the wife for themselves as well as already noted above.

Last edited by friedablass; Jul 15, 2024 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 15, 2024, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
You are correct and I was actually thinking that 75k miles instead of a $375 ETC sounded awfully generous and just didn't sit right with me.

I always thought that ETC was a better deal than taking miles but 75k is a lot better than $375 if they can get that but I highly doubt it. Either way, I'd the OP chooses to keep $375 ETC they can use the one from the wife for themselves as well as already noted above.
Yeah, math is hard for me.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: oneworld
Angry Two reroutes and 18h delay Sacramento-London - advice please

My 18-year old niece was booked on a flight Sacramento-Denver-LHR, arriving midday Thursday. A few hours before, she was rerouted via EWR with arrival 8 hours later. And then again through SFO with arrival 7am Friday. So she is effectively losing a full day in London, and I am fuming. I had taken the day off to pick her up from LHR today, but can’t do this tomorrow.

I am used to EU/UK airlines where compensation is straightforward and we would have just booked her a taxi for the compensation, but when I called United, they couldn’t even guarantee the cost of ground transport. Any advice? I am simply shocked that they can just mess people about like this.

TIA
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RikkeNet
I am used to EU/UK airlines where compensation is straightforward and we would have just booked her a taxi for the compensation, but when I called United, they couldn’t even guarantee the cost of ground transport.
What was the reason for the re-routing? If it was something that’s under UA’s control, they’d probably reimburse in this situation. If it was due to weather, they probably won’t.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:06 am

They didn’t give a reason. The first one was just marked cancelled and the second one was marked delayed. How do I go about finding out? Sorry, but I normally stay far away from US Airlines, so I have no experience navigating this.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They didn’t give a reason. The first one was just marked cancelled and the second one was marked delayed. How do I go about finding out? Sorry, but I normally stay far away from US Airlines, so I have no experience navigating this.
UA’s flight status page will normally give a reason. With the radar images that were being posted yesterday for EWR, I suspect the second one was due to weather.

If she started on UA2179, from SMF to DEN at 16:05, it’s being listed as a cancellation due to a mechanical issue. In that case, while I can’t guarantee anything, I would expect that they would reimburse the cost of ground transportation if you explain the situation. They will reimburse a token amount for meals, and if she needed to stay in a hotel Wednesday night, they’ll reimburse for that also.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:18 am

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. And yes, she was on UA2179. I suppose I will just book her a taxi, but it’s £80 so would be nice to know there is a chance to have it reimbursed. I have been a frequent flyer for 25 years, and I never experienced such a shambles before.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. And yes, she was on UA2179. I suppose I will just book her a taxi, but it’s £80 so would be nice to know there is a chance to have it reimbursed. I have been a frequent flyer for 25 years, and I never experienced such a shambles before.
Note that UA might still refuse, on the theory that ground transportation would have been needed at the destination anyway, and that they do not have responsibility beyond the arrival airport. (In that, I’d actually expect BA or a European carrier would have said the same thing — neither UK.261 nor EC.261 cover anything once you arrive at the destination airport). Or, they may provide a voucher good for travel on UA. Such a voucher can be used for any traveler, not just your niece, but technically can’t be sold or bartered.

Now, I do think there is a decent chance that they’ll send a bank draft, but I wanted to make sure I didn’t set expectations too high, as they’re not required to do so.

Whoever booked the flight should also check to see if the credit card used includes Trip Delay insurance and if this would be covered under that. Again, it’s a bit of a grey area because it’s after arrival at LHR, but it seems like you can make a good faith argument that you wouldn’t have incurred the charges if she’d arrived on time. If Trip Delay insurance is available, you should attempt to pay for the taxi with the same form of payment if possible, as that’s often a requirement of credit card-based coverage.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 3:48 am

I am grateful for the advice. Thank you. I suppose one of the advantages of the automatic monetary EU/UK compensation is that it can cover any additional cost such as taxis etc, without any discussion etc. But that is a moot point - just gotta make sure I tell my US family to always use EU/UK airlines when flying over here in the future. Mainly I just feel awful for my poor niece whose first overseas trip has started quite badly.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uyflyer;
I did, and was offered $50 ETC or 2500 miles Given how much UA charges for Polaris ORD-ZRH and the fact that the only reason to fly UA instead of LX is the seat, this seems shall we say a bit too low?
(in fact borderline insulting).. or am I totally uncalibrated? (It's been a while since I requested compensation, but not so long ago, it was ~ 300 ETC for malfunctioning IFEs, in shorter flights, right?)

Safe travels
Identical offer ($50 ETC or 2500 MileageMinus miles) for me today. It was 11 hr flight on Polaris without IFE. 😂 😂
I will write to 1K Voices later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.