FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Unless you have status with UA, $200 sounds about normal for that. You can certainly try to negotiate for more, but it's entirely at UA's discretion.

If your credit card includes trip delay insurance, it may cover things like the hotel rooms.
Unfortunately, the insurance does not cover the hotel room. We tried, but it apparently only covers hotels that you need to book if you're stranded in a city due to a delay or cancellation. We also called and asked the hotel if they would kindly not charge us for the nights we could not be there but no luck there (it's a small family-run hotel, so I understand).

If $200 is standard, I probably won't waste my time trying to get more - after all the long hours on the phone with customer service, I'm not sure it's worth the cost in elevated blood pressure at this point! Thanks for weighing in.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amarain

If $200 is standard, I probably won't waste my time trying to get more - after all the long hours on the phone with customer service, I'm not sure it's worth the cost in elevated blood pressure at this point! Thanks for weighing in.
While it might be a longshot to get more than $200 - it doesn't take much time to ask for a reconsideration and provide receipts for things like the hotel charge.

Worse case scenario is they say no.
nomad420 and therossinator like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back in December, my flight to Munich was first delayed due to a mechanical issue, then cancelled at around 2 am for lack of crew. It took an additional 3 hours of waiting at the airport to get rebooked, and the only flight available was one several days from then. Ultimately I lost more than two full days of my trip, lost the $500 I'd paid for hotels for those nights.........
No airline covers consequential losses. That is what comprehensive travel insurance is for.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No airline covers consequential losses. That is what comprehensive travel insurance is for.
I had travel insurance that I thought was comprehensive, but learned the hard way that it was not.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
While it might be a longshot to get more than $200 - it doesn't take much time to ask for a reconsideration and provide receipts for things like the hotel charge.

Worse case scenario is they say no.
I actually included my hotel receipts in my original request but was told that they do not cover any sort of expenses. Which I understand and didn't actually expect them to reimburse me for my hotel. I mostly just wanted them to take into account that their failure to staff their flights adequately cost me a lot, both in terms of stress and inconvenience as well as monetarily, and that I hoped this might be reflected somehow in the compensation they offered.

You're right though, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask again. I already spent over 60 minutes on the phone just trying to get my miles from the trip credited, so what's another hour or two listening to their delightful hold music?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2023 at 5:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I actually included my hotel receipts in my original request but was told that they do not cover any sort of expenses. Which I understand and didn't actually expect them to reimburse me for my hotel. I mostly just wanted them to take into account that their failure to staff their flights adequately cost me a lot, both in terms of stress and inconvenience as well as monetarily, and that I hoped this might be reflected somehow in the compensation they offered.

You're right though, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask again. I already spent over 60 minutes on the phone just trying to get my miles from the trip credited, so what's another hour or two listening to their delightful hold music?
I just went through this, now I am 1K but I as others noted this MAY make a difference (one would think it shouldn't). For a one night delay I got $250 and reimbursed for hotel and meals. As I lost a work day and got delayed again on day #2 so I wrote back and thought that it was basically a bit light and asked for reconsideration and they threw another $100 at me stating that I "I rarely complain and I was a good customer" . So basically I would email them back for "reconsideration".
amarain likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I just went through this, now I am 1K but I as others noted this MAY make a difference (one would think it shouldn't).
It depends upon what you think the purpose for airlines giving customer credit is. If you think it has something to do with the inconvenience that the passenger suffered, then I'd agree that status shouldn't matter.

It doesn't. It's a customer service gesture designed to get you to continue to give them business. Status is a (very) rough proxy for how important your business is to UA, and certainly a better one than the "do you know much I paid for these tickets?" canard that gets trotted out occasionally. Hence, compensation offers vary by status.
SPN Lifer and amarain like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Lets please keep European and Canadian over regulation out of the US.

Anyone remember the high fares of regulation? No thank you.
Umm, airfares in Europe are often much cheaper than the US thanks to Ryan Air, EasyJet and competition from the rail system. Having to compensate passengers for heinous service isn't the bad thing you might think it is.
augs and techtwink like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:32 pm

What's the current customer care response time? Wrote in about expenses during a 24hr mechanical delay three weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Premier Gold if that affects things.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
What's the current customer care response time? Wrote in about expenses during a 24hr mechanical delay three weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Premier Gold if that affects things.
I suspect you'd get a wide range of answers - 3 weeks does not seem reasonable, I'd write a follow-up.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
LHR to SFO over the weekend. No wifi available for the entire flight. Wrote in to 1K Voice. $50 ETC.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Flew IAH-SCL a few weeks ago. No status, booked with UA miles in economy class.

Flight was delayed 1 hour in boarding, and then we got to runway and went back to gate due to damaged fuel pump. Finally took off and arrived in Santiago 3.5 hours late.

I wrote to customer care and asked for 10,000 points. They gave me a $75 voucher.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Flew EWR-SFO-HNL on Saturday. SFO-HNL ended up being delayed 4 hours and the aircraft had inop WiFi/Device Entertainment. Got a proactive email to fill out the United Cares page.
In a case like this, is it better to go to 1K Voice and have them handle everything or just fill out the standard United Cares form?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Flew EWR-SFO-HNL on Saturday. SFO-HNL ended up being delayed 4 hours and the aircraft had inop WiFi/Device Entertainment. Got a proactive email to fill out the United Cares page.
In a case like this, is it better to go to 1K Voice and have them handle everything or just fill out the standard United Cares form?
Just use the unitedcares form and get the automated issuance of ETC. If you aren't satisfied, you can write to 1kvoice.

Not sure how they will calculate for delay + inop wifi/IFE. Last time I had plane with inop IFE (NRT-SFO), the unitedcares site gave $150 ETC, which was satisfactory for me.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Had the same issues on Saturday with the wifi / IFE, on the same route, though we were generally on time, (UA1509). Had the same wifi issues on ORD-SFO earlier in the day, though it doesn't seem like the crew wrote it up like the SFO-HNL crew did, since I received the automatic Cares message for a $50 e-cert or 2500 miles.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by zman9119
Had the same issues on Saturday with the wifi / IFE, on the same route, though we were generally on time, (UA1509). Had the same wifi issues on ORD-SFO earlier in the day, though it doesn't seem like the crew wrote it up like the SFO-HNL crew did, since I received the automatic Cares message for a $50 e-cert or 2500 miles.
Ha we were on the same flight! I was originally on UA 300 but it looked like 1509 was going out first so a Club agent proactively protected me and I was able to switch to that flight. Were you in the front cabin? I was in 3E.
My United email didn't have have a credit listed though, let me fill out the form now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.