United Consolidated Compensation Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]


Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
...
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
.
11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 20, 3:08 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,033
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I wouldn’t write in until I’d actually gotten home, but, you can certainly check www.united.com/unitedcares . I rarely get an email anymore even when the Cares site is active. On my last affected flight, the FAs made an announcement as we deplaned, although I had already gone to the website by that point to secure my offer. I never did get an email.
The email finally came through after we got off the ground 28 hours late. The offer is $500 or 25,000 miles (1K, P-fare). Interesting considering upthread there's a report of $575 for no IFE on the same route. I'd personally take no IFE over a 28 hour delay every time, but I don't make the rules, I guess. Haven't made a choice yet - not sure whether to just accept it, or point out that I was given a hotel room without a bed in it (eventually resolved that), and no meal vouchers, and fight for more on that basis.
cricketer is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:30 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by wallyboag View Post
I can't believe United thinks their customers value in flight entertainment more than an on-time arrival.
Yeah, I personally never even use it but I'm definitely going to start checking it every time. Seems like it's more likely to win a voucher for non working IFE than winning a scratch off lottery.
friedablass is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:33 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,833
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Haven't made a choice yet - not sure whether to just accept it, or point out that I was given a hotel room without a bed in it (eventually resolved that), and no meal vouchers, and fight for more on that basis.
They should reimburse you for meals. I'm not sure what the hotel's situation has to do with UA, unless you just want to point out that they should contract with better hotels.

Originally Posted by wallyboag View Post
I can't believe United thinks their customers value in flight entertainment more than an on-time arrival.
I wouldn't read anything into UA's compensation offers. I don't think they really put that much thought into any of them.
jsloan is online now  
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:29 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,565
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
$575 for broken IFE???

I never use it but I need to start testing it to see if it works.

honestly IFE is what gets me through these flights (along with food). If I was on a paid ticket in business class and my IFE wasn't working, this is at least what I would expect. I dont think $200 for a sundae is somehow exceptional either. Take a $2,500 one-way fare. Your economy fare would probably be $1000 or likely less. So that's the cost of getting you there + basic IFE + economy service. The remaining $1500 is for your "working seat" + "nicer meals (including dessert) + nicer IFE + better service. If you start breaking it down, that is really what you're paying for these items.
bmw303 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:39 am
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,833
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
If you start breaking it down, that is really what you're paying for these items.
Personally, I would ascribe 99.9% of the value to the comfortable seat.

Do you think UA would give me a $1000 RT discount if I agreed to forego meal service? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The compensation amounts have little, if anything, to do with the value of the underlying service, or with the amount that you paid for the ticket.
jsloan is online now  
Old Jan 23, 20, 11:14 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,565
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Personally, I would ascribe 99.9% of the value to the comfortable seat.

Do you think UA would give me a $1000 RT discount if I agreed to forego meal service? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The compensation amounts have little, if anything, to do with the value of the underlying service, or with the amount that you paid for the ticket.
I think people will ascribe different values to different parts of the experience. No UA will not give you a $1000 discount if you decide to forego meal service. If they starve you both ways though?

Last edited by bmw303; Jan 23, 20 at 3:40 pm
bmw303 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:01 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 71
I e-mailed united about my issue. Received a response directing me back to the UnitedCares site. They don't care that much about me because I only get a $200 E Certificate for my 15 hour mechanical delay.

I responded to the e-mail saying that I felt that $200 was rather small for such a delay, and received this response:

"Hi Patrick,I'm sorry the compensation offered on our united.com/unitedcares didn't meet your expectations.



While I won't be able to honor your request for further compensation, please know that I shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.



We appreciate your business and look forward to providing you with the service you deserve on a future United flight.

Regards,

Liz
Customer Care"

And with that, any hope of me flying United ever again has completely disappeared. I don't think they will miss me, and I definitely won't miss them. Oh well I guess.
wallyboag is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:38 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,698
Originally Posted by wallyboag View Post
I e-mailed united about my issue. Received a response directing me back to the UnitedCares site. They don't care that much about me because I only get a $200 E Certificate for my 15 hour mechanical delay.
Given one-way flights are typically less than $200 for HNL-SFO, I'd have been very surprised if they gave you more because they basically gave you a free flight.
HNLbasedFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 7:03 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,528
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
honestly IFE is what gets me through these flights (along with food). If I was on a paid ticket in business class and my IFE wasn't working, this is at least what I would expect. I dont think $200 for a sundae is somehow exceptional either. Take a $2,500 one-way fare. Your economy fare would probably be $1000 or likely less. So that's the cost of getting you there + basic IFE + economy service. The remaining $1500 is for your "working seat" + "nicer meals (including dessert) + nicer IFE + better service. If you start breaking it down, that is really what you're paying for these items.
The sundae is usually the only part of the meal that I eat (I get dinner at the lounge to avoid having to eat the food on the plane).

But, $200? That's an expensive sundae.

The real cost to UA is not the questionable food, the sundae, or the IFE. The real cost is that your seat is taking up much more space than an economy seat. Space is the real limited resource here, not ice cream.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:24 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,443
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
But, $200? That's an expensive sundae.

The real cost to UA is not the questionable food, the sundae, or the IFE. The real cost is that your seat is taking up much more space than an economy seat. Space is the real limited resource here, not ice cream.
They aren't paying you $200 so you can go buy a sundae to make up for it, they're paying you $200 so you feel good about the experience and will buy expensive business-class tickets again.

While the cost of the space is not irrelevant the real question is what premium they can charge vs how much they could charge for the Y seat. It's more about opportunity cost with the space, not the cost of flying the space around. That's why lie-flat on the 5.5-hour flight SFO-EWR costs $900 and on the 7-hour EWR-LHR flight costs $6,000, though the costs to United are fairly similar.

If you think the $200 sundae is expensive, if costs drive the difference in price on those routes, just imagine what that Polaris meal costs!
threeoh is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 5:04 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 74
Currently on a 777-200 in business class (lie flat) from IAD-SFO and none of the IFE is working at all. What’s a reasonable comp to ask for?
chemengin is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 5:09 pm
  #57  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,652
Originally Posted by chemengin View Post
Currently on a 777-200 in business class (lie flat) from IAD-SFO and non of the IFE is working at all. What’s a reasonable comp to ask for?
per se you don't ask for a specific amount, UA will look at the issue, your status and your cabin and get you an offer. I would suppose you will receive an email (if this is plane-wide on landing).

My expectation would be $50 to $150 depending on the above answers.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:31 am
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,746
9 hours later and loss of lie-flat - how much?

First time since (I think) 2014 I'm more than mildly annoyed.

Got up at 3:30am in LAS to catch 6am flight to SFO and then 777 flight to Maui, arriving at lunchtime.

3:39am get text saying 6 am cancelled and I've been re-booked on 2:55p to SFO and arriving Maui after 9pm (on a 737).

I got on 1K line and tried to get on earlier flights (even if I had to ride coach), but they had already filled the earlier SFO flight w/ coach passengers so I couldn't make it to SFO for the second flight of day to OGG. Other options to get there in coach not to appealing. Agent offered flights tomorrow, but have some things lined up back home that need to happen, otherwise I might have gone with that option.

What would be the range of compensation I might be looking at?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 1:54 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LBB
Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Posts: 2,820
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
First time since (I think) 2014 I'm more than mildly annoyed.

Got up at 3:30am in LAS to catch 6am flight to SFO and then 777 flight to Maui, arriving at lunchtime.

3:39am get text saying 6 am cancelled and I've been re-booked on 2:55p to SFO and arriving Maui after 9pm (on a 737).

I got on 1K line and tried to get on earlier flights (even if I had to ride coach), but they had already filled the earlier SFO flight w/ coach passengers so I couldn't make it to SFO for the second flight of day to OGG. Other options to get there in coach not to appealing. Agent offered flights tomorrow, but have some things lined up back home that need to happen, otherwise I might have gone with that option.

What would be the range of compensation I might be looking at?
As a 1K, probably $300 range, plus or minus. It's too bad the rebooking options were so pathetic, and that other pax were prioritized over you as a 1K for seating on earlier flights, especially on that short positioning flight. What did they compensate you with in the end?

Quick edit: Just checked and most of the LAS-SFO and LAS-LAX flights took multiple standby pax all day long... I can't believe that UA wouldn't just overbook you onto one of these flights, especially given the number of no-shows that are typically seen in LAS.
jjmoore is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:00 pm
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,746
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
....What did they compensate you with in the end?

Quick edit: Just checked and most of the LAS-SFO and LAS-LAX flights took multiple standby pax all day long... I can't believe that UA wouldn't just overbook you onto one of these flights, especially given the number of no-shows that are typically seen in LAS.
I’ll revert w/ eventual compensation. Nothing’s been proactively offered, as of yet.

Agent suggested I might stand by at airport, but I didn’t want to be at airport at 6am for the OGG-connecting flights and find myself sitting thru to my currently scheduled flight. The LAS airport is nice, but not that nice
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread