FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sannmann
The OP has posted in Flyertalk nearly 500 times; they are not new to travel. I’m sure they have some sort of travel insurance- whether a comprehensive coverage or cover through a credit card- and likely already knew not to make travel arrangements without it.

At best, they may get some miles thrown their way. The complicating factor was the terrible weather situation around the country during the time in question. The airlines couldn’t do much to recover the situation at the time. Complaining to the DOT only delays the DOT’s ability to respond to actual legitimate complaints.
I'd consider myself a relatively experienced traveler -- certainly not as experience as many FTers (+/-23 countries, 42 US states, 5 continents, 1012+ segments on CO/UA) and I've purchased travel insurance exactly once -- going to Brazil at the height of COVID -- and didn't have any use for it. My credit card may have some kind of benefit but all of the fine print I've read even if I did I'd never count on getting a meaningful use from it (see also "you get what you pay for"). No one I know IRL has ever suggested it or commented positively on the value. In 18 years of heavy travel I've eaten a one-way rental car twice (LGA-CLE, hurricane Sandy; ORD-CLE, some vague "winter" (but not "weather") nonsense) -- the latter it ultimately turned out UA could have gotten me home within a couple hours of when I returned the rental car, but I was tired of gambling on that trip. Once a posted delay hits 4 hours I proceed as if the flight will be canceled, regardless of what anyone tells me.

That said if the OP relied on UA's representations that they'd reimburse interim expenses and they fail to do so, it's absolutely worth a DOT complaint; if OP made the call themselves complaining to UA about their disappointment is worthwhile but expecting anything is IMO unreasonable (but a pleasant surprise if UA did kick something).

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Feb 12, 2023 at 8:22 pm
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd estimate that well in excess of 99% of US-based travelers do not have travel insurance, except for whatever coverage is provided by their credit card -- which is rarely all that it's cracked up to be when you actually try to use it. (It appears to be much more popular overseas, for whatever reason). So, even if well-intentioned, "submit it to your travel insurance" is effectively snark.
This is true! I had UA cancel multiple flights during bad WX around Xmas and was delayed overnight (UA wouldn't cover the hotel). I documented everything, including having to get UA to write a statement to the effect that the flights were canceled and that I was rebooked on flights the next day, leaving me no other options to get home. My claims were denied by Chase (I used the CSR for my airfare).
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This is true! I had UA cancel multiple flights during bad WX around Xmas and was delayed overnight (UA wouldn't cover the hotel). I documented everything, including having to get UA to write a statement to the effect that the flights were canceled and that I was rebooked on flights the next day, leaving me no other options to get home. My claims were denied by Chase (I used the CSR for my airfare).
Did they give a reason for their denial?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by pkerr
Did they give a reason for their denial?
I didn't save the email but it was something like, "extraordinary circumstances" are not covered.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
My granddaughter was scheduled to fly BOS-DEN-JAC a week or so ago. She was at gate when they announced a delay (mechanical) that would make it impossible to make her connection in DEN to JAC, and there were no other flights (on any airline) to JAC that evening. Rather then arrive in DEN and spend the night there, she rebooked BOS-EWR-JAC for the following morning and returned to her apartment in BOS for the night. She successfully flew on the re-booked flight and arrived in JAC around noon, 15 hours late. Is she due any compensation for the delay itself? Uber fares? cost of lost night in JAC hotel? anything else? If so, how does she proceed?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hughw
Is she due any compensation for the delay itself? Uber fares? cost of lost night in JAC hotel? anything else? If so, how does she proceed?
Not due anything. If she writes in, UA will likely give her a travel credit in the $100-200 range as a customer service gesture.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:15 am

Compensation for 2-day delay

Hiya, havent been here in a while, hope Im still welcome!

I had booked 2 business awards from DEN-SFO-AKL-CHC for around 100k pts/per. Flight was scheduled Feb 3. We made it to SFO and were at the gate when the SFO-AKL leg was cancelled due to a mechanical. They couldnt get us on a flight to AKL and on to CHC until Feb 5, a 2-day delay.
United gave us vouchers for the Hyatt for 2 nights as well as food vouchers totaling $45/pp. Of course we went over that.
Also we had award reservations at the Christchurch Doubletree on a Hilton buy 4 get 5 nights award. So we lost 2 of those nights. Otherwise we had no pre-booked activities, we were carry-on only so no baggage problems.

Was initially thinking to ask for a full refund of the over 200,000 United miles I spent on the award tix, plus another 50,000 to compensate for the lost hotel award bookings for 2 nights.

So, how should I proceed in asking for compensation? And how much do you think I should ask for?

ps: I used a Sapphire Preferred to pay the taxes, but understand that going through Chases trip delay reimbursement is pretty lengthy and ponderous.

anyway, pre-Thanks for any help with this!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WirelessP
Was initially thinking to ask for a full refund of the over 200,000 United miles I spent on the award tix, plus another 50,000 to compensate for the lost hotel award bookings for 2 nights.

So, how should I proceed in asking for compensation? And how much do you think I should ask for?
Contact customer service to request a goodwill gesture. If you have receipts for the meals beyond what was covered by UA, you may be able to wrangle a refund for those, along with any ground transportation costs you incurred in SFO. UA is not going to compensate you for consequential damages, although they will provide documentation for you to use to ask the hotel for a points refund.

In terms of total value, your expectations are extremely out of line with what UA is likely to give, so prepare for disappointment.
iluv2fly and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:51 pm

Oh, didn’t expect what I ask for, just starting high because I know United will start low
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Oh, didnt expect what I ask for, just starting high because I know United will start low

They may start with nothing additional and leave it at that - a start high strategy can and will likely backfire in my opinion as they may not take your email or request seriously and just disregard it.
iluv2fly and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, didnt expect what I ask for, just starting high because I know United will start low
Except, it's not a negotiation. You have no leverage, as they have fulfilled their contract with you. They'll make an offer, which you can accept or refuse. If you refuse, you can ask for them to reconsider, but unless they've missed something material in your account, it's not clear why they would do anything besides say "I'm sorry, that's all of the compensation we can offer."
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:30 pm

Okay, seems to be guidelines, like ‘don’t ask for too much cause you’ll piss off United cust care’. But are there any good strategies for trying to maximize compensation? All I’m reading is, ‘throw yourself on the mercy of the court’.
I’m coming here for the sage advice I read in other discussions (I’m, admittedly, a lurker with generally one big trip a year that usually go okay).

Is there a best-ish compensation amount between $1-$nth? Better to ask for miles than ca$h?—seems to me they might be more generous with miles? If I tell them I’m out 100,000 Hilton points is that the right move, or should I lie and say I’m out $500? Will they want proof? I’m near the end of a month long trip, should I have hit United up sooner?

And if it’s ‘hey WirelessP, you’re not contributing enough to Flyertalk in flyer-hours to receive better advice’ than feel free to tell me publicly or privately!

thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You are thinking this is a negotiation that UA must participate in, it is not and UA will not. UA could say no and you have no bargaining power except to say I will never fly UA and UA / airlines hear that every day.

Write UA, briefly, and I mean briefly, describe the situation and your "damages". My guess you might get additional $100-$200 future flight credit voucher (not cash except for may be the extra food costs) for each passenger for the inconvenience unless you have UA status. UA may be willing to convert the voucher for miles at the rate of 1 miles per $0,02 credit.

And the Hilton hotel costs, UA does not care, it will not compensation for that loss -- none of the airlines will.

Note refund of 200,000 miles is an ask for way over $2K, that is how far out of the norm your original plan is.

,,,,And if it’s ‘hey WirelessP, you’re not contributing enough to Flyertalk in flyer-hours to receive better advice’ than feel free to tell me publicly or privately! ...
You are getting the same answer a newbie or a 100,000 post members would get.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2023 at 6:03 pm Reason: "better advice"
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not due anything. If she writes in, UA will likely give her a travel credit in the $100-200 range as a customer service gesture.
thanks....I wrote in for her and they were gracious enough to give her a $150 credit, which she appreciated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Have I seen a glimmer of hope that UA is returning to a more generous/customer-forward stance?

In the air CLE-DEN right now in F. Great crew....but two issues so far.

First issue was catering -- I preordered and was kind of craving the Belgian waffle and the lead broke the news that while the containers were labeled "waffle" it was some kind of egg twist thing instead. Oh well, went with a box from the back -- hoping to meet someone in DEN for lunch between flights so maybe a sign I shouldn't eat too much. Worst case lunch is on tap for my next segment.

Second issue is a seat that won't stay upright and locked so I keep drifting back into the person behind me. Happens a few times a year, always ask a FA to [have the Captain] write it up so it can be addressed for a future passenger.

A couple minutes after that the lead FA came back with the mobile device, apologized (profusely) for the inconvenience and offered $100 ETC / 5,000 miles... Thanked her and she went back to the galley. About 30 seconds later I had the email from United.

Neither of those I would have expected anything for, particularly over the past couple years, and definitely wouldn't even think about writing in on the seat lock, on the fence about the catering situation [and even then just to register the grievance not expecting comp]... So was expecting nothing got a very prompt something. For my first issue of any kind in 2023 (17 segments) very happy
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.