FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Clemson
Received 3k miles for wifi being offline on a recent flight by writing into 1K voice. They said the FA should have offered up in-flight compensation. I did ask the FA's repeatedly about the wifi not working and was never offered anything, so I guess I need to straight-up ask for compensation during the flight next time.
Some FAs are proactive about this and most are not. The ones who are not will generally tell you to pound sound (aka, "Sorry, I'm not authorized to do that.") You'll wind up contacting 1K Voice anyway. But report back if you're successful the next time you don't have a proactive FA.

-RM
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Gold, Delta 1MM, UA PP
Lowly Silver and essentially new to UA but will be making at least two EWR -> DFW round trips a month for at least the rest of the year. This was my second week doing this run, paid for Economy+ at booking and my Sunday night 2100 EWR to DFW was delayed several times with the final iteration departing at 0145 the next morning before being ultimately canceled. Was rebooked for the following morning in a middle seat, back of the plane, missed most of my meetings on Monday. Just had my return leg canceled tonight, automatically rebooked for tomorrow to EWR via IAH, back of the plane was told by the gate agent nothing could be done. I have the club card and there was put on an afternoon flight direct to EWR tomorrow, back of the plane, with standby on the earlier morning direct flight. I'm pretty sure all the EWR based elites get all the seats first but not clear on how United handles these situations systematically.

I was a longtime PM on Delta and this is by far the worst travel week I've had domestically. First, who should I talk to about getting some kind of compensation as this has cost me a ton of time and some money? Second, LGA/JFK are very inconvenient for me to get to and sadly I have to keep doing this run for a while but is this what I should expect from UA going forward?

Last edited by Riled; Apr 20, 2023 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by amarain
First, who should I talk to about getting some kind of compensation as this has cost me a ton of time and some money? Second, LGA/JFK are very inconvenient for me to get to and sadly I have to keep doing this run for a while but is this what I should expect from UA going forward?
Don't hold your breath looking for compensation on these two cases. This is tonight. Sunday wasn't much different. You unfortunately caught a string of bad luck on the two days you were flying being operational challenges due to the weather. You should expect going forward generally the same on time/cancellation performance you had with DL.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, Riled
Originally Posted by Riled
... First, who should I talk to about getting some kind of compensation as this has cost me a ton of time and some money? ...
What were the reasons for issue? Weather will not be compensation (at UA or DL), EWR has had some recent weather issues
Travel Waiver: Newark Severe Weather (April 15, 2023 - April 16, 2023)
The loss paid E+ seat fee should be refunded.
And in rebooking for irrops, status help. Even Silver.
Same is true for DL.

Originally Posted by Riled
... Second, LGA/JFK are very inconvenient for me to get to and sadly I have to keep doing this run for a while but is this what I should expect from UA going forward?
100% irrops, no. UA is not significant different from DL in irrops. And whoever you fly, the bad string can happen.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriot LT Gold, Delta 1MM, UA PP
Thanks very much for the replies. Ended up getting on the first flight in the AM from standby, Silver turned out helping quite a bit judging by where I was inserted on a very long list.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
$175 offered proactively via an email link for a 13 (!) hour UAX flight delay owing to a series of factors (late incoming followed by two successive mechanicals for the same problem that saw us return to gate twice to eventually wait another 6+ hours to find a replacement aircraft and crew). Also received 2 x $20 food and beverage vouchers during the delay.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Was booked in J EWR-SFO the other week and got swapped 772 Polaris -> 772 HD day before departure. Lost my seat assignment but was called proactively and offered economy on that flight or J on the flight (757) ~2 hours later along with $750 ETC. Took the later flight and happy with the outcome (particularly since I was on a P fare).
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Was anyone on UA 29 today (Sat Apr 29; SFO to SIN) and has any data points?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by david22
Was anyone on UA 29 today (Sat Apr 29; SFO to SIN) and has any data points?
FYI, comp will depend on status and cabin. Many 24 hour delays lately for non-status, economy passengers have been low-- $125-$150
UA needs to rebooking and will cover a overnight lodging and food vouches if needed for transit passengers.(and not at origin airport).
Old May 4, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Weird one: received an SMS days after a flight that was only marginally delayed.
Two meal vouchers for $20/each.
Since I only just checked the link in the SMS now, they unfortunately already expired.

Only explanation I have is that since the Entertainment system was down, maybe someone triggered the wrong compensation???

"[TWLNET]We're sorry for the disruption to your travel plans and would like to help you grab a bite to eat while we work to get you on your way.

See your meal vouchers here: https://fly.united.com/-redacted-
Confirmation Number: XXXXXX"
Old May 6, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Anyone have experience with the agent accidentally using the "compensation" portal for hotel/food voucher, thereby preventing them from offering additional compensation miles?
Old May 7, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, and Mileage Plus
MUC-IAD with inflight entertainment system down entire flight in Premium Plus as Silver. Only $25 or 1250 miles received as a function of proactively contacting customer care about this situation.

This seems like I was shorted based on relative similiar datapoints. I'd assume my only option is reply back requesting an adjustment on the compensation. Otherwise I guess it is what it is...
Old May 8, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flying SJC-DEN in upgraded F today, mid-afternoon departure (not over a meal time). When everyone was boarded the FA's came through asking if everyone was planning to eat the meal. Everyone said yes except me. Turns out they had only load 19 meals for a 20 person cabin and it was going to be a 15 minute delay to find another meal.

$75 voucher before we even pushed back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
...the FA's came through asking if everyone was planning to eat the meal. Everyone said yes except me. Turns out they had only load 19 meals for a 20 person cabin....
Hard to believe there were 19 people in F who had never been on a UA meal flight before

$75 instead of a United meal for a flight of that duration? Kind of an easy decision if it came to that. And you probably could have gotten a snack box.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hard to believe there were 19 people in F who had never been on a UA meal flight before
Not just that, but a meal on a 2h3m minute flight (or a little longer as it turned out due to a go-around) departing at 2:30pm. I'm sure if others had realized there was money as an alternative they likely would have said no. I wasn't planning on eating anyway, but the way they were asking was odd enough that I suspected something was afoot - and was literally the last person they asked as I was in the last row so I'm glad everyone else did say yes!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.