Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Why wouldn't UA's 777 make that without a fuel stop ??? UA can make that with it's 772 GE as well as 77W, no different than CX's 77W

One flight or not is really irrelevant to open the United club or not, it is more if they get enough contract business, I know pre covid at least LH, NH, and BR were using United club HKG as their contract lounge.
They might be able to generate more money by flying other routes.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:08 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Why wouldn't UA's 777 make that without a fuel stop ??? UA can make that with it's 772 GE as well as 77W, no different than CX's 77W
Asking because during the winter AA had at times had to do fuel stops on DEL-JFK on their 77Ws after they stopped flying through Russian airspace.

CX hasn’t flown the 77W to JFK, I think, on the current routing that avoids Russian airspace- all current flights are on A350s.

CX is currently taking a 8,800 mi route from JFK-HKG. Is that within range for a 77W or a 772?
moondog, lsquare and oopl like this.

Last edited by dw; Sep 29, 2022 at 4:30 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dw
Asking because during the winter AA had at times had to do fuel stops on DEL-JFK on their 77Ws after they stopped flying through Russian airspace.

CX hasn’t flown the 77W to JFK, I think, on the current routing that avoids Russian airspace- all current flights are on A350s.

CX is currently taking a 8,800 mi route from JFK-HKG. Is that within range for a 77W or a 772?
I don't think it can. That's probably only for the B787 or A350.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I just got rerouted thru NRT for my trip in December, which I will cancel if any mandatory testing remains at that time.
If I were UA I might not restart the route until all this testing is eliminated or hugely reduced. I think that the trip is a tougher sell while you have the chance of being quarantined.
kirkwoodj and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by dw

That's a good point. Most of CX's 777s are currently on loan to QR.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:43 pm
dw

Originally Posted by lsquare
I don't think it can. That's probably only for the B787 or A350.
I looked into this some more and since CX started bypassing Russian airspace in March, there have been days even the A350 can’t make JFK-HKG nonstop and they’ve used LAX for refueling. That’s quite a long flight for the passengers!

Of course, CX needs to serve NY as part of their long haul schedule- but if UA can serve HKG from another hub (SFO), don’t see how viable EWR would be for the time being.
moondog, lsquare and oopl like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_vs_Range.png
Airbus and Boeing Passengers vs Range
Lcmortensen, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Above is missing the A350ULR
https://simpleflying.com/which-aircraft-longest-range/
To true crown today belongs to the Airbus A350, but not the original version. The original Airbus A350 has an impressive range of 8,700 nautical miles (16,100 km), but for Singapore Airlines, Airbus built the Airbus A350ULR (Ultra Long Range) that can dominate distances with a range of 9,700 nautical miles (18,000 km).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 29, 2022 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dw
I looked into this some more and since CX started bypassing Russian airspace in March, there have been days even the A350 can’t make JFK-HKG nonstop and they’ve used LAX for refueling. That’s quite a long flight for the passengers!

Of course, CX needs to serve NY as part of their long haul schedule- but if UA can serve HKG from another hub (SFO), don’t see how viable EWR would be for the time being.
Source? That's crazy if true!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:51 am
dw

Originally Posted by lsquare
Source? That's crazy if true!
There’s a reference to it in the CX forum (unfortunately the historical data is no longer available to view on Flightradar24):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34097509-post26.html

But it prompted my memory that I also saw this a few times on FlightAware a few months ago, thinking to myself, wow that must suck for passengers in Y!
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by dw
There’s a reference to it in the CX forum (unfortunately the historical data is no longer available to view on Flightradar24):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34097509-post26.html

But it prompted my memory that I also saw this a few times on FlightAware a few months ago, thinking to myself, wow that must suck for passengers in Y!
The 90-minute stops in Seoul to/from Shanghai (that UA and a few other airlines do) kind of suck too, but I've endured mine by convincing myself that we were still flying. Anyway, you guys are right, unlike CX, UA doesn't really need to fly NYC-HKG nonstop because it can and does sell tickets on flights between NYC and California. I guess I don't really see ORD-HKG happening soon for the same reason (Russian airspace is quite useful on Westbound flights, especially during the winter months). But, I do predict UA will try to do more than one flight to HK. If so, I'm guessing SFO would get a second flight? Or maybe give it to LAX instead (this might shut out AA)?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
The 90-minute stops in Seoul to/from Shanghai (that UA and a few other airlines do) kind of suck too, but I've endured mine by convincing myself that we were still flying. Anyway, you guys are right, unlike CX, UA doesn't really need to fly NYC-HKG nonstop because it can and does sell tickets on flights between NYC and California. I guess I don't really see ORD-HKG happening soon for the same reason (Russian airspace is quite useful on Westbound flights, especially during the winter months). But, I do predict UA will try to do more than one flight to HK. If so, I'm guessing SFO would get a second flight? Or maybe give it to LAX instead (this might shut out AA)?
If UA wants to fill up the cabins for SFO-HKG, restart HKG-SGN or other 5th freedom routes and avoid expensive overnight parking at HKG.

Edit: If LAX-HKG is added, we will see the return of HKG-BKK. One can dream!
dw, lsquare, goodeats21 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 30, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is demand to/from NYC. However, most people wouldn't want to take two flights, so if UA is unable to operate the nonstop, or choose not to, then CX would be the go to, which most passengers are leaning that way anyway, given the flag carrier status.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If UA wants to fill up the cabins for SFO-HKG, restart HKG-SGN or other 5th freedom routes and avoid expensive overnight parking at HKG.

Edit: If LAX-HKG is added, we will see the return of HKG-BKK. One can dream!
My understanding is HKG has significantly lower the overnight fee after the 2019 unrest.

HKG-BKK and HKG-SGN are well served markets at both ends by national carriers and several LCCs in the region, so to run a large twin aisle planes will not be economically viable.

LAX-HKG has failed more time than J Lo’s marriages, so not going to happen.
lsquare and asovse1 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’m skeptical there is enough Biz demand to justify a single daily let alone multiple ex-US to HKG

i would love to be proven wrong
dw, JNelson113, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I’m skeptical there is enough Biz demand to justify a single daily let alone multiple ex-US to HKG

i would love to be proven wrong
With hi-tech pulling out of China, there is not enough demand even for SFO to HKG given Cathay already has 2 daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.