Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
"Is Hong Kong Dead?" is the real question
John Swire & Sons, LTD, the British conglomerate that controls Cathay Pacific, began signaling in 2010 that the "glory days" of HKG were being manipulated to an end. Singapore is too far away to replace the HKG hub. Most travelers will not use Mainland airports as replacement hubs. It remains to be seen if Japan can take up the slack.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2022 at 12:21 pm Reason: Not the place for OMNI/PR comments
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jimmc66
It remains to be seen if Japan can take up the slack.
Or ICN.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
Or ICN.
With missles flying over Japan and ICN only 200 miles from N Korea I don’t think any airlines are going to make huge investments in that region.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
With missles flying over Japan and ICN only 200 miles from N Korea I don’t think any airlines are going to make huge investments in that region.
They really don't have a choice other than ICN and NRT.

PVG and PEK? I'll avoid them.

HNL, GUM? Too far.

TPE, MNL, SIN? Not really attractive.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UA does not need to have a "hub" or "focus city" in HK.

UA now runs several point-to-point flights between US and East Asia destinations. For those destinations where UA does not fly to (BKK, KUL, CGK, SGN to name a few), SIN, NRT, ICN and TPE provides options for connecting to these destinations on partner airlines in *A. I have done that many times and never really consider HKG is a preferred connecting point. There are *A carriers based out of SIN, NRT, TPE, ICN (may not be much longer) provide better options and lounge access etc than HKG will ever can.

I have flown in and out of HKG a half dozen times to/from US this year already and I don't really miss not having UA. NH via NRT or fly donw to SIN to catch UA 1/2 are just as convenient.

For those focusing on using HKG to enter China, that door is shut. It is now a quota based system of 1,500 a day.

Look forward on HKG will never be instead looing back on HKG used to be.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Or ICN.
I don't mind ICN, but since OZ is leaving the party, I can't imagine what airline UA would partner with to make that a viable option. In theory, they could sell KE codeshares...DL might not like that so much.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
They really don't have a choice other than ICN and NRT....
I think NRT is a bit tight on slots and ANA already provides connections. TPE might be the best geographically, but Boeing/United probably reluctant to provocate the Mainland. There's really no totally ideal location.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 9, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA does not need to have a "hub" or "focus city" in HK.

UA now runs several point-to-point flights between US and East Asia destinations. For those destinations where UA does not fly to (BKK, KUL, CGK, SGN to name a few), SIN, NRT, ICN and TPE provides options for connecting to these destinations on partner airlines in *A. I have done that many times and never really consider HKG is a preferred connecting point. There are *A carriers based out of SIN, NRT, TPE, ICN (may not be much longer) provide better options and lounge access etc than HKG will ever can.

I have flown in and out of HKG a half dozen times to/from US this year already and I don't really miss not having UA. NH via NRT or fly donw to SIN to catch UA 1/2 are just as convenient.

For those focusing on using HKG to enter China, that door is shut. It is now a quota based system of 1,500 a day.

Look forward on HKG will never be instead looing back on HKG used to be.
Agree, transfer via TYO is perfectly fine, and I always enjoyed the long layover at TYO. I have ~10 hrs during the day at HND on both part of my YYZ-SIN trip next month, really looking forward to go back to Japan.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Or ICN.
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't mind ICN, but since OZ is leaving the party, I can't imagine what airline UA would partner with to make that a viable option. In theory, they could sell KE codeshares...DL might not like that so much.
In retrospect, ICN wasn't that bad as I was able to take a shower at the OZ lounge. The lunch food spread was much better than the breakfast food spread. Much better!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: All the programs!
It appears UA has further pushed back the resumption of SFO-HKG from Jan 4th to Feb 10th.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by oopl
It appears UA has further pushed back the resumption of SFO-HKG from Jan 4th to Feb 10th.
And they just cancelled my HKG-SFO in Jan without any notice
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rtool
And they just cancelled my HKG-SFO in Jan without any notice
Probably occurred last night, in the regular weekend update, and notices will be going out in the next week or two (when trip is not pending and is multiple months out -- such as 3 months out). This is the typical UA pattern.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2022 at 11:21 am Reason: added clarification
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably occurred last night, in the regular weekend update, and notices will be going out in the next week or two (when 3 months out). This is the typical UA pattern.
Didn't realize "no notice until 3 months out" is the norm; this is the 2nd cancellation for this HKG-US award booking.

The agent mentioned only being to look for award inventories on LH, TG, and SG. She mentioned "Asia Airlines", I'm assuming she meant OZ; I declined, since HKG-ICN would be in Y and the date doesn't work for me.

Ended up settling for HKG-HND-EWR, which is only available on Thursdays, with a 20h layover in Tokyo. Hope the JPY tanks more...
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Didn't realize "no notice until 3 months out" is the norm; ......
No it isn't, but when the cancellation is well in the future, the notifications can take a week or two or more. There are not immediate.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Didn't realize "no notice until 3 months out" is the norm; this is the 2nd cancellation for this HKG-US award booking.

The agent mentioned only being to look for award inventories on LH, TG, and SG. She mentioned "Asia Airlines", I'm assuming she meant OZ; I declined, since HKG-ICN would be in Y and the date doesn't work for me.

Ended up settling for HKG-HND-EWR, which is only available on Thursdays, with a 20h layover in Tokyo. Hope the JPY tanks more...
Assuming NYC is your destination, why not fly CX? The current fares aren't especially expensive, and you can fly nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.