Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
January makes sense. It is not as easy as turning on a light switch to restart the flight.

HKG is not a *A hub with no dominant *A carrier for UA to contract ground staff, catering and other supports.

Most of the UA contract staff were laid off over 2 years ago.

UA has already downgraded HK to below focus city level with huge write-off on its balance sheet a year before Covid. I am not even sure United Club will ever re-open. Cheaper to contract TG or Plaza Premium Lounge for a single flight.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and oopl like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Decided to look at GCM just to visualize...aside from whenever HKG opens, I don't think any of the ORD/East Coast-Hong Kong (or mainland China) routes will come back so long as American planes avoid Russian airspace. All the polar routings go over the country. Maybe UA decides to do LAX-HKG if they really need to in the interim?
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Maybe UA decides to do LAX-HKG if they really need to in the interim?
Doubtful, it’ll probably just be SFO for the foreseeable future. HKG will likely just be a spoke now.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dw
Doubtful, it’ll probably just be SFO for the foreseeable future. HKG will likely just be a spoke now.
Assuming United classifies LAX as a hub (I have trouble keeping up with this), JFK-HKG was UA's only non-hub route (but, did they fly SEA-HKG at one point in time?).

In any event, I'm guessing 2 (or 1.5) flights from SFO makes more sense for UA than SFO + LAX. However, if they did stake a claim to LAX, this might dissuade AA and/or DL from playing ball.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
January makes sense. It is not as easy as turning on a light switch to restart the flight.

HKG is not a *A hub with no dominant *A carrier for UA to contract ground staff, catering and other supports.

Most of the UA contract staff were laid off over 2 years ago.

UA has already downgraded HK to below focus city level with huge write-off on its balance sheet a year before Covid. I am not even sure United Club will ever re-open. Cheaper to contract TG or Plaza Premium Lounge for a single flight.
I still think UA should work with its partners to do a Star Alliance lounge in HK. ET used the HX lounge while TG, SQ and UA all had their own. Did not make sense to me. It has been a long time since UA had a lot of daily flights into and out of HK.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
I still think UA should work with its partners to do a Star Alliance lounge in HK. ET used the HX lounge while TG, SQ and UA all had their own. Did not make sense to me. It has been a long time since UA had a lot of daily flights into and out of HK.
That will be ideal, if they can negotiate all *A carriers to use the same general gate area at the airport. Now they are scattered around.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:08 pm

That will be ideal, if they can negotiate all *A carriers to use the same general gate area at the airport. Now they are scattered around.
I'm not sure SQ would go for that arrangement. I think they are back up to 6 flights/day now.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Assuming United classifies LAX as a hub (I have trouble keeping up with this), JFK-HKG was UA's only non-hub route (but, did they fly SEA-HKG at one point in time?).

In any event, I'm guessing 2 (or 1.5) flights from SFO makes more sense for UA than SFO + LAX. However, if they did stake a claim to LAX, this might dissuade AA and/or DL from playing ball.
That was DL.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by lsquare
That was DL.
UA's first HK route was SEA-HKG. Before PA sold off the Pacific.
SPN Lifer, ORDnHKG and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure SQ would go for that arrangement. I think they are back up to 6 flights/day now.
I wish it is 6 flights. I can only find 2 flights a day in each direction through November. Just bought over priced HKG-SIN-HKG today.

SQ lounge at HKG is still closed.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
That was DL.
United started SEA-HKG back on May 28, 1983 using 3 DC10-30 that were swapped with CP (repainted into full UA rainbow livery but with CP registration) and after UA bought PA's Pacific division, UA returned the DC10-30 to CP and used 747SP for SEA-HKG instead
SPN Lifer, lsquare and oopl like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I wish it is 6 flights. I can only find 2 flights a day in each direction through November. Just bought over priced HKG-SIN-HKG today.
The 6 flights 4 of them are freight only, look at the flight numbers and aircraft type
dw, SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 6, 2022 at 4:04 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
United started SEA-HKG back on May 28, 1983 using 3 DC10-30 that were swapped with CP (repainted into full UA rainbow livery but with CP registration) and after UA bought PA's Pacific division, UA returned the DC10-30 to CP and used 747SP for SEA-HKG instead
Many thanks for providing me with enough info to google that (really interesting stuff):
https://www.weninchina.com/transpac-...ral-april-1983
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: UA MM
Another ancient history question: When did UA fly JFK-HKG? Thx
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:29 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Another ancient history question: When did UA fly JFK-HKG? Thx
It was around 2001 if I recall correctly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.