Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ua_flyer
my understanding is hkg has significantly lower the overnight fee after the 2019 unrest.

Hkg-bkk and hkg-sgn are well served markets at both ends by national carriers and several lccs in the region, so to run a large twin aisle planes will not be economically viable.

lax-hkg has failed more time than j lo’s marriages, so not going to happen.
lmao! 🤣😂
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by krispykrme
With hi-tech pulling out of China, there is not enough demand even for SFO to HKG given Cathay already has 2 daily.
The consumer market isn't going anywhere.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by moondog
The consumer market isn't going anywhere.
Agreed. I believe that there will be enough demand to support at least one a day out of SFO by sometime next year, if not sooner.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:14 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Agreed. I believe that there will be enough demand to support at least one a day out of SFO by sometime next year, if not sooner.
I remember reading that pre-COVID Apple alone sent several dozen employees per day on SFO-China flights (in J). Does anyone know if any of that traffic has returned? (I’m assuming if so it’d be via HKG due to more lenient entry requirements.)
JNelson113 and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I remember reading that pre-COVID Apple alone sent several dozen employees per day on SFO-China flights (in J). Does anyone know if any of that traffic has returned? (I’m assuming if so it’d be via HKG due to more lenient entry requirements.)
AFAIK 857 still sells out (to permitted capacity) almost every flight, and Apple (including related third parties) grabs a sizable chunk of those seats.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by moondog
AFAIK 857 still sells out (to permitted capacity) almost every flight, and Apple (including related third parties) grabs a sizable chunk of those seats.
“Permitted capacity”, a telling and ominous term. Let’s not kid ourselves… 857 is relatively empty today.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
“Permitted capacity”, a telling and ominous term. Let’s not kid ourselves… 857 is relatively empty today.
75% when it isn't in the penalty box (40%). They haven't been penalized for a while, and last time, they decided to fly without passengers in exchange for a shorter penalty. What's today's LF? I don't check it every day, only when I'm researching my own travel plans; then I look at the most recent week or so of data. I will say that fares have dropped a lot (on AA and DL in addition to UA) since third country transit has been permitted by the Chinese.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:47 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Interestingly, Virgin Atlantic has announced today that they will not be resuming passenger flights to HKG
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dw
Interestingly, Virgin Atlantic has announced today that they will not be resuming passenger flights to HKG
in other words, VS is saying "If you really want to go there, you can take one of our soon-to-be SkyTeam partners".
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
This is promising, unnamed sources saying that UA will resume flights in January: https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...-January%C2%A0
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
If anything, they should pull it forward a few weeks to cover the western holidays. I know there are tons of people that would like to return to visit family in late December.
JNelson113, lsquare and oopl like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
This is promising, unnamed sources saying that UA will resume flights in January: https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...-January%C2%A0
I think I read the same article (or at least an article based on the same source) earlier today. I didn't bother posting it here because the language seemed rather speculative. That having been said, a January return does make sense.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:03 pm

January makes sense as opposed to earlier because that's what is currently on the schedule. They removed the Oct-Dec flights a couple weeks ago.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
If anything, they should pull it forward a few weeks to cover the western holidays. I know there are tons of people that would like to return to visit family in late December.
Considering they just dropped my flights in 2nd week of December, seems unlikely
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:56 pm

They dropped the Oct-Dec flights a week or two before HK made their announcement. Unfortunate timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.