Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:15 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

With so many China routes limited or simply canceled, where are those aircraft flying? Should UA press harder on alternative endpoint additions to the network? I’d welcome it.
UA had the PW 772s out for a while, but UA has expanded flights across the Atlantic and to Hawaii in recent years. Unlike AA and DL, UA did not retire any wide body during the pandemic.

https://www.united.com/en-us/new-routes
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
I wonder if CX is simply transiting Russian airspace.
I was wondering that too. Some folks on airliners.net indicated that they aren't transiting Russian airspace, but I didn't check their facts too extensively.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dkc192
I was wondering that too. Some folks on airliners.net indicated that they aren't transiting Russian airspace, but I didn't check their facts too extensively.
It looks like CX is indeed avoiding Russian airspace. You can look at the flight routes for HKG-LHR and it's pretty clear that the routes are avoiding Russia.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
Going to FlightAware flight maps it is pretty clear CX is avoiding Russian airspace and not following great circle routes, adding significant distance and time to the flights.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Flew on CX HKG - LHR recently, CX is not flying over Russian nor Ukrainian airspace. We flew way west of Ukraine, added about 30 mins to the flight.
lsquare and Kmxu like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I don't know about 2XORD-HKG were running over several years. IIRC, the second flight was added as a response to CX starting the HKG-ORD flight hoping to drive CX our of the HKG-ORD market.

Perhaps our resident expert ORDnHKGhas more accurate information than I have,
Actually CX didn't start ORD 806/807 service not til 2011, after UA ended the 1.5x ORD-HKG service (828/829 only fly 3 times a week but not double daily). I still remember I was flying the 2nd flight UA 829 back in 2006 as XF on 744 as I was supposed to fly XC on NH but UA cancel the first leg so it would cause me to misconnect

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
HK will support 1 UA flight a day at most going forward. Guam isn't getting a N/S from the continental USA. UA will continue to serve China thru PVG only for the foreseeable future.

With all that doom and gloom I posited above, I do think there are some rays of hope and UA will offer a N/S flight from SFO to SGN or BKK sometime in the next year or two.
I don't think so, SFO-HKG will return and so does EWR-HKG.

SFO-SGN and SFO-BKK are just low yield routes, if UA ever do it, they might as well use 77O since paid J would be extremely light anyways and block some seats in Y so that it can fly nonstop
lsquare and tcdtcd like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2022 at 9:07 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I honestly believe that there is a fundamental shift going on in the airline industry behind the scenes -- J travel used to drive the economics -- I believe that is changing in a post COVID world -- and that leisure travel will assume a more prominent role in global airlines strategic planning models.... To me HKG will never occupy the place as it once did for business -- as it is neither a global business hub (any longer) -- or a tourist destination of any significance to leisure travelers -- and let's be honest -- in the past "tourism" was mostly driven by mainland Chinese and their suitcases full of cash lol -- and Expats -- both of which are gone for good....
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I honestly believe that there is a fundamental shift going on in the airline industry behind the scenes -- J travel used to drive the economics -- I believe that is changing in a post COVID world -- and that leisure travel will assume a more prominent role in global airlines strategic planning models.... To me HKG will never occupy the place as it once did for business -- as it is neither a global business hub (any longer) -- or a tourist destination of any significance to leisure travelers -- and let's be honest -- in the past "tourism" was mostly driven by mainland Chinese and their suitcases full of cash lol -- and Expats -- both of which are gone for good....
1. I will certainly start visiting customers and financial institutions in HK again after the quarantine rules are lifted; HSBC, Citi, JPM, etc show no signs of closing up shop
2. What makes you think Chinese with suitcases full of cash are gone? Many of my Chinese friends are planning on resuming HK trips as soon as they become practical again
3. If I were flying from the US, and had no plans on entering Mainland China, I'd be fine with the current 3 + 4 quarantine rule because I'd be jetlagged for about half of the first 3 days anyway
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And likely permanent
Unlikely to be permanent for United club HKG, if not they would be already emptied out all the furniture like what they did with the QF lounge HKG
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by moondog
1. I will certainly start visiting customers and financial institutions in HK again after the quarantine rules are lifted; HSBC, Citi, JPM, etc show no signs of closing up shop
2. What makes you think Chinese with suitcases full of cash are gone? Many of my Chinese friends are planning on resuming HK trips as soon as they become practical again
3. If I were flying from the US, and had no plans on entering Mainland China, I'd be fine with the current 3 + 4 quarantine rule because I'd be jetlagged for about half of the first 3 days anyway
I'm sure there are some operations that will survive -- but 90% of my customers / partners (including my company) have relocated their operations - what little real "tourism" that occurred before COVID was mostly financial tourism -- and I believe that those benefits will be significantly reduced as HK is absorbed into China -- so many people have left -- and all of my Chinese friends that live in HK have already left or are trying desperately to -- I surely hope you are right -- but as I've grown to understand -- especially in this crazy new world -- hope isn't a strategy -- I look at what people are doing -- not what they say they will do -- but what is really happening -- and I'm thinking HKG is in trouble on the global front....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me HKG will never occupy the place as it once did for business -- as it is neither a global business hub (any longer) -- or a tourist destination of any significance to leisure travelers -- and let's be honest -- in the past "tourism" was mostly driven by mainland Chinese and their suitcases full of cash lol -- and Expats -- both of which are gone for good....
They are not gone for good at all, it is just because of the quarantine policy that makes both Americans less likely to travel to HKG and HKers less likely to travel overseas. Even as far back as March, I had already periodically seen those with HK passports showing up in conventions in US (Vegas and Chicago)

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

if LH and LX continue to contract United Club to serve their passengers, then there may still be a business case to keep it open.
Precovid NH and BR also use UA club at HKG as their contract lounge but not just LH and LX
SPN Lifer, lsquare and oopl like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2022 at 11:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:42 pm

I'm sure there are some operations that will survive -- but 90% of my customers / partners (including my company) have relocated their operations - what little real "tourism" that occurred before COVID was mostly financial tourism -- and I believe that those benefits will be significantly reduced as HK is absorbed into China -- so many people have left -- and all of my Chinese friends that live in HK have already left or are trying desperately to -- I surely hope you are right -- but as I've grown to understand -- especially in this crazy new world -- hope isn't a strategy -- I look at what people are doing -- not what they say they will do -- but what is really happening -- and I'm thinking HKG is in trouble on the global front....
If they live in Hong Kong, then they aren't tourists. Nobody in their right mind would fly from China to Hong Kong for a shopping trip or a business meeting until quarantine rules are relaxed on both sides (like we have with Macau now). But, once the gates are open, those trips will resume.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Why use HKG when there is a perfectly good hub already at GUM?
Perhaps you forgot UA sent all it's widebodies for C check and D check, plus multiple mod lines at HAECO at HKG ? GUM is just a leftover from CS, did you ever see UA even consider to start SFO-GUM if GUM is really a perfectly good hub as you said ?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Perhaps you forgot UA sent all it's widebodies for C check and D check, plus multiple mod lines at HAECO at HKG ? GUM is just a leftover from CS, did you ever see UA even consider to start SFO-GUM if GUM is really a perfectly good hub as you said ?
The fact that 78 million people live in the PRD region (v 169,000 in Guam) has something to do with it as well.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by moondog
For leisure travel, it’s probably a very small minority of people who will accept those circumstances, unless they are there to see friends and/or family. For pure leisure, there are many other alternatives now with no testing and quarantine requirements.

I just came back from BKK (via NRT- lots of North Americans on the BKK flights) and was actually quite shocked to see the flights both ways nearly 100% full in Y and PE (and unsurprisingly, nearly empty in J).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.